Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 27, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #23,686 of 27,141
Oh there was no label. Just a stack of wipes sealed in plastic.Seemed like useful stuff so i bought a pack. 

On the way home i notice they are embossed "SONTARA" 

this is the Sontara "EC" creped fabric in blue. I dunno how it compares to aviation window wipes, which are cheaper and easier to find, and white. 

Another source - http://www.amazon.com/Sontara-Wipes-12In-X12In-100-Bag/dp/B007V54R74

This stuff is ultra-dense for it's thickness. Right up against the akai driver it proved to be too much. not much space to work with in that frame of course. 

Come to think of it, that may mean that the aviation window wipes are a useful product too. I may have to get a pack. They cost about half as much as the blue crepe wipes. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #23,687 of 27,141
Ericj, try cover the plastic area with silicon sealer like Foss or Autosil..i did that on every ortho cans that i have owned, present or previous and its work very well on cancel the weird sound from the plastic reverb..
and lining the capsule driver with dynamat help tightening and more focused bass..
about the stock flat pads, i found it makes the whole sound too midrangey+honkey..meh!
swap the stock pads to a bigger circumaural pads like V700 or XB500 make the whole sound more binaural..dont remove the black fabric/sheets from grill baffles, it might (still) useful to tame down the peaky/harsh high notes, and keep out the driver from oxidation because of sweat, hair or dust..

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #23,688 of 27,141
Ah, so there was something over the face of the driver capsule when it was stock. Remember it has been _years_ and i don't remember much. And I'm not sure where the bone stock one is. 

Putting this sheer velour (similar to beyer earpad fabric) over the driver took away much of the peakiness and i can stand to listen to the T30 now. 

Conversely, I took the ill-fitting foam-backed-fabric off of my K270-Playback and gave it the same velour, and now those are too peaky. So I guess I should put the foam back on those. They also need new pads. But the effects of front damping are well known in this thread. I just thought it was interesting that my mods last night caused the T30 and K270P to trade places. 

Where the T30 is now, i could use some additional midrange warmth. Considering a lens of felt under the fabric. But things may change a lot when i replace the felt behind the driver with a few layers of fiberglass pipe wrap. It's just Frost-King 3" x 1/2" fiberglass batting with no backing. Cheap at any hardware store. Purchased for it's uniform density and thinness. two or three layers compressed w/ foam perhaps. 

I have some silicone sealant here - various silicone sealants actually - but that sounds more like something to prevent reflection? I'm thinking the gap between the driver capsule and the T30 cup may be problematic. I could fill that with paxmate. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #23,689 of 27,141
you might settle up with the right "ingredients" on the damping schemes sooner or later..

and, pick the silicon sealer which is use for car machines gasket, like this:

autosil.jpg

its easy to remove if you dont seems to like the result..way better than any kind of blutak, even if it smelly when apply on wet condition..but after it dry (30mins or 1 hrs), the smell would go away and you'll see what i'm talking about..

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #23,690 of 27,141
there is a Permatex brand black silicone gasket maker at your local autoparts shop, must be the same thing for us over the water here in North America.
One of the black types  is O2 sensor safe so I got that ( the previous sensor safe red version I used seems to stick nicely on plastic).

How are you applying it exactly and where iQEM?
A layer inside on the baffle rears to stop vibrations?
Cup to baffle seam?
Cup rears?
All 3 of those?

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #23,691 of 27,141
Yeah, I have permatex flowable (aka windshield gasket sealer - you can apply this stuff with a brush easily, quite thin), permatex ultra copper, and permatex ultra black. Also Permatex Hi-Tack gasket sealant. 

I did just finish rebuilding a 1984 diesel jetta deluxe coupe into a turbo diesel. Complete strip down, machine work, and rebuild. Not a single bolt on it that wasn't turned by my hand. So yeah, sealants, I got 'em. 

My build thread here: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,34503.0.html

I got my repaired HT receiver back from onkyo today so i have been distracted away from headphonery. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #23,692 of 27,141
  there is a Permatex brand black silicone gasket maker at your local autoparts shop, must be the same thing for us over the water here in North America.
One of the black types  is O2 sensor safe so I got that ( the previous sensor safe red version I used seems to stick nicely on plastic).

Cup to baffle seam?
Cup rears?
All 3 of those?

http://www.hylomarsealant.com/_resources/_html/products.html

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #23,693 of 27,141
Excellent thanks for the flowable info. I have some new window seals that need the joints bonded. Will look into that.

Hardly see any Rabbits around anymore, let alone a diesel

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #23,694 of 27,141
Back on topic. I just measured these aftermarket memory foam HD-25 pads that I used on the HOK80v2=picture is a page or two back.
Their backings are of a stiffer vinyl with a tiny hole there @ the 11:00 point in the picture . One would have to mount them using some method directly to baffle face like stock pads are. At least there is the pad lip to grab hold of with your choice of adhesive.

Nice to find something reasonably close for once.

Measurements are
~70mm outer,
~28mm inner, [Stock pads inner measures ~30mm so these are close]
~15 - 16mm high.

Not yet tried them on the HP-1 since stock pads are still fine.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #23,695 of 27,141

Cup to baffle seam?
Cup rears?
All 3 of those?

i use several or all of my finger to smear all over the plastic surfaces inside...yes, all but dont touch the opening vents on the housing cup..and leave alone the magnet driver, the dynamat lining are enough for the capsule driver part..

Yeah, I have permatex flowable (aka windshield gasket sealer - you can apply this stuff with a brush easily, quite thin), permatex ultra copper, and permatex ultra black. Also Permatex Hi-Tack gasket sealant. 

I did just finish rebuilding a 1984 diesel jetta deluxe coupe into a turbo diesel. Complete strip down, machine work, and rebuild. Not a single bolt on it that wasn't turned by my hand. So yeah, sealants, I got 'em. 

My build thread here: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,34503.0.html

I got my repaired HT receiver back from onkyo today so i have been distracted away from headphonery. 

using brush might be a good idea, but just remember to do that carefully..i use my
bare hands, finger actually to stay accurate with the applying control..thin layer are enough..

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #23,696 of 27,141
  Excellent thanks for the flowable info. I have some new window seals that need the joints bonded. Will look into that.

Hardly see any Rabbits around anymore, let alone a diesel

aye, much less A1 jettas, much less A1 jetta coupes. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #23,697 of 27,141
Here are my "just modded" SS-100 drivers in Superlux HD330 hausing. Sounds fantastic. Recabling in near future. Do you have any suggestions for hi quality 4 wire cable for them? Now I have only Conducfil 3014. Velour pads are on the way (HiFiman)
Any comments/suggestions appreciated :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #23,698 of 27,141
oh WOW that is excellent looking. It's almost sacrilege to use those drivers considering their value ( good for you !!!
tongue.gif
)

the "PROTOTYP" replacement badges look perfect and well suited. Like they have always been there

Thanks for the post
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back