Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #22,876 of 27,137
  What do you mean by putting the t50rp headband under the stock headband? the t50rp isn't vary comfortable without a suspension strap added, maybe that would work. I used hair ties and pleather from a old day planer.

You were talking about printing or designing headbands. I figured the best volume sales/most demand would be for a really nice comfort strap of some kind.  It was you wasn't it, got so much on my mind lately I forget.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #22,877 of 27,137
  If someone needs a T50rp frame/body for a transplant i have one left over from using the drivers in a 3d printed headphone. Haven't really thought about a price but enough to be worth a drive to the post office would due.

May be you can put this in T50rp thread , so if someone has damaged their baffles or cups during modding they can buy your stock cups & baffles.

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #22,879 of 27,137

May be you can put this in T50rp thread , so if someone has damaged their baffles or cups during modding they can buy your stock cups & baffles.

Probably should but posted here first because well the ortho roundup thread has spawned some vary creative designs and unlike the t50rp mod thread its not just about getting perfectly flat(aka boring) from cheap headphones..people here actually like othos because of there unique sound. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #22,880 of 27,137

Any pics of (wine) cork stoppers used for damping? This is getting interesting!

Well, I was reading Jeff Day's articles on Acoustic Revive gizmos and one was some expensive cable dampeners-to remove airborne vibration from speaker cables, I think.
So I split a couple of Cava corks and slotted them onto my (Cat 6!) speaker cables.
Did it sound better? Of course.......(????) not.
You DO realise that irony is a British trait?  (-:

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #22,881 of 27,137
  Well, I was reading Jeff Day's articles on Acoustic Revive gizmos and one was some expensive cable dampeners-to remove airborne vibration from speaker cables, I think.
So I split a couple of Cava corks and slotted them onto my (Cat 6!) speaker cables.

Hehehe, cheers!

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #22,882 of 27,137

What happens is that you need to use the product you got the cork from first, then the sonic effects come into play. You missed that one crucial aspect.

I call it red "tuning juice" but there is a critical threshold you want to stay under.
ph34r.gif
  I think it slightly thins the blood to allow for faster flow in the inner ear and eardrums areas.  A good theory anyhow

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #22,883 of 27,137
  What happens is that you need to use the product you got the cork from first, then the sonic effects come into play. You missed that one crucial aspect.

I call it red "tuning juice" but there is a critical threshold you want to stay under.
ph34r.gif
  I think it slightly thins the blood to allow for faster flow in the inner ear and eardrums areas.  A good theory anyhow

Or you could just listen while being transfused with your own blood taken while listening at high altitude.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #22,884 of 27,137
That cork only damps vibration by adding mass and lowering the resonant frequency of the wire (but as a long flexible member (heh) this is moot anyways since the wire isn't in tension). There's possibly some shear mechanism damping due to the malleable nature of the cork (so not quite visco-elastic... more cork-o-elastic?), but this is insignificant compared to the effect of added mass. If the undesirable vibrations are caused by airborn transmission, then the cork may actually worsen the effect since it provides a larger surface area for the vibrations to impinge upon. It wll be a balance between larger surface area vs inherent damping nature of the cork. I suppose a case could be made for transmission mode vibrations along the length of the wire, but in such a case you'd be better suited by anchoring the cork anyways. Or suspend the cork from springs to achieve a proper damping system. Or actually use the cork as a defacto spring with some other calibrated weight on the end (though the calculus gets a little funny there). Or just tighten the binding posts.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #22,885 of 27,137

ph34r.gif

Ho-Ho!
Actually it was Cava so WHITE tuning juice! With bubbles to add sparkle to the sound!

Still can't beat Bob Marley's method (African Herbsman) as listening aid?

Nice to add some humour to the site!

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #22,886 of 27,137
II think the bubbles and effervescence are detected physically then translated directly into the mental perception of sparkle.  I KNOW they do.

Music is a type of food after all. All we have to do is look what's happened to the pop music realm and how it translates into the generation and folks that listen to that :), not healthy, too much style no substance. Can't build health on a sonic diet like that
wink.gif

P.S.
I found Bob Marley's method to make all the music's edges smear together, and then peaks suddenly jump out at you disconcertingly, a bit too artificial, so I simply cannot recommend that to myself at all for anything, as much as i'd like to
redface.gif
, though it does have an attractive aura/haze/ambient smell if you will.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #22,887 of 27,137
  II think the bubbles and effervescence are detected physically then translated directly into the mental perception of sparkle.  I KNOW they do.

Music is a type of food after all. All we have to do is look what's happened to the pop music realm and how it translates into the generation and folks that listen to that :), not healthy, too much style no substance. Can't build health on a sonic diet like that
wink.gif

P.S.
I found Bob Marley's method to make all the music's edges smear together, and then peaks suddenly jump out at you disconcertingly, a bit too artificial, so I simply cannot recommend that to myself at all for anything, as much as i'd like to
redface.gif
, though it does have an attractive aura/haze/ambient smell if you will.

Wait a minute there........Did you just call Miley a Pig Mac:)

As for the Marley method. Even Roger Daltrey has sworn off it. (McCartney too, but I suspect that has more to do with marrying a 12 year old under its influence , and not getting a pre nup
eek.gif
)

I will say though that layered cork can make for a very decent driver encapsulation method. That however is mostly for tuning dynamics.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #22,888 of 27,137

Actually I sold my pair to kabeer and I think that he is the one who sold it to you. So, basically yours is the only reported silver fork T30 in existence. :wink:

oohhh, i see..oh my, so mine are the only one but now the silver fork arms covered with glue..:ph34r:

black lens on the baffles ? is it made from felt as well ?

Yep.

but i put the maroon felt+black fabric (from baffles) under the yellow mineral wool..then sound more balance now..:)

In theory, placing ring of felt on the back side should work opposite to reflective dot which brighten highs. In my opinion there is more sense to place damping from the center of driver(at least for iso-dynamics) as Faust described in wikiphonia article about T30. I like stock damping of non-silver version anyway, as I need one pair of slightly drakish cans for enjoying doom/stoner.

As of cracking, I also think about replacing headband with something foldable like ATH-M50, as stock headband is not most comfortable in the world. But forks of M50 bit bigger then T30 forks if I not mistaken. It would be great, if someone could suggest foldable headband that might fit T30.

when the first time it crack&then splitted, i have try to swap the stock headband with a headband that come from china headsets...
the arm fork models looked more like metal fork Stax SR40 but this one have a rubber made of headband pads..
the thickness of the fork doesn't match with the hole for the arm fork, so i had to re-seal it again with silicon sealer to prevent too much leaking...
very light to wear, i dunno if it add more comfort or not but i dislike it cos the rubber head pads are in skyblue colour...
so i swap it back to original headband... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back