Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #22,863 of 27,158
Does anyone tried other than XB700 pads on T30? Shure HPAEC 550 bit bigger then original but does fit okay.

They bit softer, and I can listen T30 for hour or two with this pads.

Is there any other on-ear pads suggestions? Bought broken pair of XB600, waiting them for arrive. I like fit of new XB's with this memory foam, but don't know how they fit Fostex yet.

Also, just curious, what color of bass lens in yours Т30?

hi rolandmsv,

me & gurubhai have the same silver fork T30 that used to be a japan only version that might be different stock sounding from regular (black) fork T30's..i settled using MDR-XB500 pads now, but i use a replacement pads, purchased on Ebay, a Sony MDR V700 before, for about 1-2 years..other than the 2 types, i haven't try any other tipe of pads on mine...i like the XB pads, offcourse...

oh yeah, i forget about the lens..here are mine, the colour are a bit maroon'ish..

i have place both of it inside the housing, as the opposites of stock position..under the mineral wool..

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #22,865 of 27,158
black lens on the baffles ? is it made from felt as well ?
i have removed the marron felt+black fabric from baffles, i replace em with thin sheet of suple fabric under the XB500 pads as a dust keeper..i remove all the damping that i have add before and swap to the stock damping, without any tapes on the magnet grill..
but i put the maroon felt+black fabric (from baffles) under the yellow mineral wool..then sound more balance now..:)
please remember, my damping schemes here are for the silver fork T30's..will result vary on the dark version a.k.a regular T30's..

WARNING to all T30's users!
be very careful not to bend or twist or drop your T30..or you will regret after broke/split the arm fork in two, even more worst, several pieces...
becos the fork that have R&L mark at the centre are not made of metal, its a fiber or plastic that covered with semi-chrome paint (on the silver fork)..mine have crack about 2 years ago, and it begin to colapsed in several pieces everytime its cracked and i glued em' back..its fragile !
well, waddya expect for 80's headphone...its been 34-35 years old, even my stock cables begin jiggle now..trying to replace the cable from a died NAD RP-18 that my friend have own, hopefully that cable not changing the sound too much..

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #22,868 of 27,158
  Who here would like to see a pioneer monitor 10, fostex t50rp mashup? 

DO IT 
biggrin.gif

Here's my second overall driver transplant/first ortho driver transplant. Amazing what being bored can do!
Well, I was fooling around with an old vintage pair of cans (Ross RE-257) that I had already dissected, taking it apart because I was curious.

Lo and behold, I discovered that the part of the baffle which housed the old drivers measured roughly 55mm.

I also had a pair of TDS-5 drivers that looked like they would fit, and indeed they did!

So I soldered the drivers on and damped it first with the donut of stock damping foam

I added a donut of felt on top of the foam (sorry for the blur)

Tried them with some old pads I had on hand without permanently affixing the pads and initial sound impressions are pretty good! 

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #22,869 of 27,158
black lens on the baffles ? is it made from felt as well ?

Yep.

but i put the maroon felt+black fabric (from baffles) under the yellow mineral wool..then sound more balance now..
smily_headphones1.gif

In theory, placing ring of felt on the back side should work opposite to reflective dot which brighten highs. In my opinion there is more sense to place damping from the center of driver(at least for iso-dynamics) as Faust described in wikiphonia article about T30. I like stock damping of non-silver version anyway, as I need one pair of slightly drakish cans for enjoying doom/stoner.

As of cracking, I also think about replacing headband with something foldable like ATH-M50, as stock headband is not most comfortable in the world. But forks of M50 bit bigger then T30 forks if I not mistaken. It would be great, if someone could suggest foldable headband that might fit T30.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #22,870 of 27,158
  DO IT 
biggrin.gif

Here's my second overall driver transplant/first ortho driver transplant. Amazing what being bored can do!
Well, I was fooling around with an old vintage pair of cans (Ross RE-257) that I had already dissected, taking it apart because I was curious.

Lo and behold, I discovered that the part of the baffle which housed the old drivers measured roughly 55mm.

I also had a pair of TDS-5 drivers that looked like they would fit, and indeed they did!

So I soldered the drivers on and damped it first with the donut of stock damping foam

I added a donut of felt on top of the foam (sorry for the blur)

Tried them with some old pads I had on hand without permanently affixing the pads and initial sound impressions are pretty good! 

Looks good.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #22,872 of 27,158

Yep.

In theory, placing ring of felt on the back side should work opposite to reflective dot which brighten highs. In my opinion there is more sense to place damping from the center of driver(at least for iso-dynamics) as Faust described in wikiphonia article about T30. I like stock damping of non-silver version anyway, as I need one pair of slightly drakish cans for enjoying doom/stoner.

As of cracking, I also think about replacing headband with something foldable like ATH-M50, as stock headband is not most comfortable in the world. But forks of M50 bit bigger then T30 forks if I not mistaken. It would be great, if someone could suggest foldable headband that might fit T30.

Measure the width of the forks of the t30 and ill measure all of my headphones and post back with results, maybe more people could do the same and turn this into a list of compatible headbands.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #22,873 of 27,158
If i were you I would also look into a top notch Fostex T50RP headband that fits under the stock headache rack they call a headband.
 There's volume and I bet lots of demand there.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #22,874 of 27,158
  If i were you I would also look into a top notch Fostex T50RP headband that fits under the stock headache rack they call a headband.
 There's volume and I bet lots of demand there.

What do you mean by putting the t50rp headband under the stock headband? the t50rp isn't vary comfortable without a suspension strap added, maybe that would work. I used hair ties and pleather from a old day planer.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #22,875 of 27,158
If someone needs a T50rp frame/body for a transplant i have one left over from using the drivers in a 3d printed headphone. Haven't really thought about a price but enough to be worth a drive to the post office would due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back