Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #22,832 of 27,158

Dynamat donut covering the cup.

Donut of felt covering the vents on top of the Dynamat.

Foam donut over the Dynamat

Felt donut over the foam.

Driver on top of all that.

Screwed down the baffle with washers to reduce the stress on it.

Double-sided-taped some HK$80 (US$10).
Overall improvements:
Much increased bass quantity and quality due to the large acoustic chamber I made behind the driver, I think. Slightly more treble but nothing to write home about. Same beautiful mid-range makes vocal and instrumental tracks sound excellent but the increased bass adds body to the music. I might be wrong with the perceived changes over stock form though. Overall, not bad for my first time 
biggrin.gif

I did that on some of my headphones and i must say i noticed the bass some a little more precise and punchy, and it got better in the the overall.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #22,833 of 27,158

I did that on some of my headphones and i must say i noticed the bass some a little more precise and punchy, and it got better in the the overall.

Tbh I didn't have a clue about what I was doing, I tried this and that until I found a combination that works. DiY tends to be like that though 
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #22,835 of 27,158
When it comes to dampening the end result seems to be stuff as much as you possibly can behind the driver leaving no empty space. To my ears heavily dampened t50rp driver sounds almost identical to my fully open t50rp transplanted hp's. I think ortho's really shine no matter how they are used with the only downfall of needing a amp and not being able to plug straight into your dap. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #22,836 of 27,158
  When it comes to dampening the end result seems to be stuff as much as you possibly can behind the driver leaving no empty space. To my ears heavily dampened t50rp driver sounds almost identical to my fully open t50rp transplanted hp's. I think ortho's really shine no matter how they are used with the only downfall of needing a amp and not being able to plug straight into your dap. 

I left an empty space in the center in the layers I used in my damping mod and there was an obvious improvement in bass compared to when I didn't leave a space. Sometimes that's not the best way 
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #22,837 of 27,158

But if you damp that much, many of the low frequencies that reflect from the driver may be lost and bass can be weakened as a result.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #22,838 of 27,158
  I left an empty space in the center in the layers I used in my damping mod and there was an obvious improvement in bass compared to when I didn't leave a space. Sometimes that's not the best way 
biggrin.gif

Now when you say improvement would that be a increase in relative volume to higher freq for more of a booming bass thud or maybe more clarity by lowering the bass level so the mid and high stand out more?

I spend to much time trying out different dampening and ear pads trying to find just the right sound and while i feel i was successful at some point you just have to settle and be done with it, spend more time listening to music and less time worrying about having a perfectly boring flat freq response. Now that doesn't mean i wont go and see if some of my ortho'd sound better with the hole in the middle..damn it sucked back in.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #22,839 of 27,158
  Now when you say improvement would that be a increase in relative volume to higher freq for more of a booming bass thud or maybe more clarity by lowering the bass level so the mid and high stand out more?

I spend to much time trying out different dampening and ear pads trying to find just the right sound and while i feel i was successful at some point you just have to settle and be done with it, spend more time listening to music and less time worrying about having a perfectly boring flat freq response. Now that doesn't mean i wont go and see if some of my ortho'd sound better with the hole in the middle..damn it sucked back in.

It's a relative decrease to the mids and highs that allow the bass to have a good presence in the sound signature but naturally that decreases the efficiency of the phones so I have to turn my amp up higher to get the same volume.

When I stated that it had a surprising amount of bass, I meant that it had too little bass and not no bass like I was expecting. After the mod, I can even happily listen to electronic genres with the amount of bass that it has. I think I also gave it a slight V-shaped frequency response, but I'm really iffy on that. I was tuning it to sound good to me, not to have a perfectly flat frequency and boring response 
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #22,840 of 27,158
  It's a relative decrease to the mids and highs that allow the bass to have a good presence in the sound signature but naturally that decreases the efficiency of the phones so I have to turn my amp up higher to get the same volume.

When I stated that it had a surprising amount of bass, I meant that it had too little bass and not no bass like I was expecting. After the mod, I can even happily listen to electronic genres with the amount of bass that it has. I think I also gave it a slight V-shaped frequency response, but I'm really iffy on that. I was tuning it to sound good to me, not to have a perfectly flat frequency and boring response 
biggrin.gif

When i need more bass i slide a switch on the fiio e18 and like magic all those subsonic's come to life, i really only use it when double amping and hardly never when using the built in dac. Well not like anyone here will admit it but using the software eq thats built into hmm every single piece of audio software can fix any problem area long as the headphone is capable of reproducing the freq at the volume you want without distorting but shh don't tell anyone. 

Good things come v shaped and being totally flat is never fun.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #22,841 of 27,158
  When i need more bass i slide a switch on the fiio e18 and like magic all those subsonic's come to life, i really only use it when double amping and hardly never when using the built in dac. Well not like anyone here will admit it but using the software eq thats built into hmm every single piece of audio software can fix any problem area long as the headphone is capable of reproducing the freq at the volume you want without distorting but shh don't tell anyone. 

Good things come v shaped and being totally flat is never fun.

My rig is not known for its EQ prowess so I don't usually apply any. The only time I do is when I want more sub-bass in which case I slide the 30Hz slider in the DX50 software EQ up to 12. I haven't really experienced good software EQ yet though, so maybe when I end up switching DAPs I'll start using it.

I don't like an overt V-shaped sound signature because then the lack of mids in comparison really gets to me, but I'm fine with a subtle one. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #22,843 of 27,158
I suggest instead of asking all these questions ( that in particular is a very open ended one = too many answers ) you take the time to read this thread, or use the search feature to find those answers. All the answers are in here.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #22,844 of 27,158
  I suggest instead of asking all these questions ( that in particular is a very open ended one = too many answers ) you take the time to read this thread, or use the search feature to find those answers. All the answers are in here.

One might begin with the concise Oxford with regard to damping vs. dampening.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back