Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #22,801 of 27,171

well, made some custom orthos too - sfi (ath) and pmb drivers, elm wood (european version of zelkova), non-reflective earpads - soft felt inside, real leather outside. that se40 has some added mass to support the driver too. rca detachable cables - can recable them on my head, very easy to compare cables.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #22,802 of 27,171
^ incredible stylings there thanks for the inspiration.
beerchug.gif

I know someone who is developing a driver ( nobody from here ) and to make anything decent it sure is a lot more involved than that, much more than food wrap and horsegrease, unless you want it to sound like it would look.
If there were that many doing it as you say in here:"in fact quite a few users have done so", then a search should turn those up.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #22,803 of 27,171
i don't see any point in doing driver from scratch, if it will be nothing better or different. it could be done as photoprint, by hand it's just nonsense. but ancient orthos are relativelly cheap, and their drivers are really good (shells and earpads crappy).

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #22,804 of 27,171

well, made some custom orthos too - sfi (ath) and pmb drivers, elm wood (european version of zelkova), non-reflective earpads - soft felt inside, real leather outside. that se40 has some added mass to support the driver too. rca detachable cables - can recable them on my head, very easy to compare cables.

i must say the idea of using RCA cables directly on headphone is amazing, they are pretty easy to find and seem like they can support a good amount of power.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #22,805 of 27,171
  i don't see any point in doing driver from scratch, if it will be nothing better or different. it could be done as photoprint, by hand it's just nonsense. but ancient orthos are relativelly cheap, and their drivers are really good (shells and earpads crappy).

The orthodynamic technology seem to not have changed so much since it's invention...

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #22,806 of 27,171
  ^ incredible stylings there thanks for the inspiration.
beerchug.gif

i was thinking about acoustics as a priority, stylings just a side effect :) they are quite complicated inside, and sounding really good. my friend has a specialized headphone shop,
i can compare with anything. few pictures of the insides at testing state, no empty space and no internal reflections in finished headphones.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #22,807 of 27,171

The orthodynamic technology seem to not have changed so much since it's invention...

basic idea is similar but materials and designs still seem to be going through changes.

The top picture there is that a PMB driver? From?

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #22,808 of 27,171

basic idea is similar but materials and designs still seem to be going through changes.

The top picture there is that a PMB driver? From?

pmb from b&o u70, 55mm, small holes. there seems to be a bad oppinion about this version, just because u70 sounds really ****ty. most ancient orthos need dampening, but u70 has two layers of thick felt already. just some air, few small holes at the perimeter can do wonders. and this driver can be bassy as hell, if needed. so - secret revealed, prices will go up:)

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #22,809 of 27,171
  pmb from b&o u70, 55mm, small holes. there seems to be a bad oppinion about this version, just because u70 sounds really ****ty. most ancient orthos need dampening, but u70 has two layers of thick felt already. just some air, few small holes at the perimeter can do wonders. and this driver can be bassy as hell, if needed. so - secret revealed, prices will go up:)

Interesting how small the driver really is, and who good these vintage drivers can be with some dampening, seem like a good DIY project.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #22,810 of 27,171

Interesting how small the driver really is, and who good these vintage drivers can be with some dampening, seem like a good DIY project.

pmb's are 55mm, russian clones from tds too, and yamaha's yh-1 or hp-1 about that; smallest and most sensitive are ath-2 drivers or sawafuji (sfi) tweeters - about 39mm. you can find sfi at germanbay, easiest way to start tinkering. they are good enough, no worry.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #22,811 of 27,171

pmb's are 55mm, russian clones from tds too, and yamaha's yh-1 or hp-1 about that; smallest and most sensitive are ath-2 drivers or sawafuji (sfi) tweeters - about 39mm. you can find sfi at germanbay, easiest way to start tinkering. they are good enough, no worry.

The most complicate part of a headphone, is in fact the driver, but if you can but it, is a good start, and making a custom one, using your own parts and styling, like ballhead did, even using RCA connectors, it's a nice DIY project for a good time.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #22,815 of 27,171
indeed, and i refer to that statement about Senn's hasn't produce a planar bla bla bla..
planar can be static&tret as well..

if the statements are "Senn's hasn't produce an orthodynamic in their entire history of Hi-Fi." then i would not make any argue at all...:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back