Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #22,787 of 27,171
  it's pretty interesting seeing though this point, what's the development story behind orthos? i always heard that Sennheiser invented them, seems like a pretty big jump in technology to produce them.

Sennheiser hasn't produced a planar in their entire history of Hi-Fi.

"Isodynamics", "Planar-magnetics", and "orthodynamics" were first being designed around the late 60's - early 70's. A lot of functional headphones were made but for whatever reason most of them never quite made it to market. The first isodynamic to hit the consumer scene was the Wharfedale ID-1, a huge space-agey monster that was incredibly cheap (would you believe $30 new?) and sounds wonderful even by today's standards when properly amped. 

The drive principle isn't as complex as you think. It's a resistive trace placed between two opposing magnets. You can quite easily make an ortho from household supplies, in fact quite a few users have done so. You can make an ortho with seran wrap, fridge magnets, glue, a sharpie, aluminum foil and a trace etching solution.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #22,788 of 27,171
Originally Posted by takato14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The drive principle isn't as complex as you think. It's a resistive trace placed between two opposing magnets. You can quite easily make an ortho from household supplies, in fact quite a few users have done so. You can make an ortho with seran wrap, fridge magnets, aluminum foil and a trace melting solution.

popcorn.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #22,789 of 27,171
  Sennheiser hasn't produced a planar in their entire history of Hi-Fi.

"Isodynamics", "Planar-magnetics", and "orthodynamics" were first being designed around the late 60's - early 70's. A lot of functional headphones were made but for whatever reason most of them never quite made it to market. The first isodynamic to hit the consumer scene was the Wharfedale ID-1, a huge space-agey monster that was incredibly cheap (would you believe $30 new?) and sounds wonderful even by today's standards when properly amped. 

The drive principle isn't as complex as you think. It's a resistive trace placed between two opposing magnets. You can quite easily make an ortho from household supplies, in fact quite a few users have done so. You can make an ortho with seran wrap, fridge magnets, glue, a sharpie, aluminum foil and a trace etching solution.

i have seen that some users on the forums built their orthodynamic headphones (and even built some electrostatic ones, amazing), i think it's pretty interesting from the DIY point, but what i really think a lot is how you can make it sound good.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #22,792 of 27,171
  Electrostatic drivers are easy but the you need an amp. I think orthodynamic drivers are not easy to make specially the traces on mylar or kapton. Not something you can do at home. Most of user here have mostly transplanted drivers and tuned it.

Interesting to know that, is it really worthy to transplant the drivers? since you have already spent the money on orthos and most of them sound pretty good already.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #22,793 of 27,171
  Hmm, I'll resend the PM then. Edit: can't send you a PM for some reason; it works for everyone else but just not you! 
frown.gif

You are right there, the TDS-5M have a surprising amount of bass to my ears. Still not a whole lot to but certainly a good amount for a vintage.

I have TDS-5M and Yamaha HP-2 and my yammys have more bass than TDS. So for TDS is a same like for HP-3 and other orthos - one pair can be bassy and another one not

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #22,794 of 27,171
Interesting to know that, is it really worthy to transplant the drivers? since you have already spent the money on orthos and most of them sound pretty good already.

Ymmv here. Some people think the stock enclosure is the best for the job while others design entirely new ones.
I have TDS-5M and Yamaha HP-2 and my yammys have more bass than TDS. So for TDS is a same like for HP-3 and other orthos - one pair can be bassy and another one not

Yes, QC was probably very loose especially considering they're Russian clones.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #22,795 of 27,171
By the way, where did you get sawafuji's with shipping to HK ? How much it was?

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #22,796 of 27,171
Random browsing on eBay yielded this listing (posting it as it's a BiN listing and not an auction). I saw there were 4 left and instantly purchased them. I originally wanted them sent to the UK, but by some amazing accident they ended up being shipped to HK. They costed me EUR47.95 as I got to combine shipping.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #22,797 of 27,171

I must have missed something good here. Who has made a complete ortho out of fridge magnets, putting aluminum foil traces on plastic wrap, and glue?
Are there pictures of this creation? (number of the post in this thread?)

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #22,799 of 27,171

I must have missed something good here. Who has made a complete ortho out of fridge magnets, putting aluminum foil traces on plastic wrap, and glue?
Are there pictures of this creation? (number of the post in this thread?)

Very interesting, I can't seem to find it again. I noticed it a while ago on these forums but the search isn't turning anything up. He drew a trace on the foil with a sharpie, glued it to the plastic, then melted it off with trace etcher. He made two of them and made a headphone out of it...

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #22,800 of 27,171
  Very interesting, I can't seem to find it again. I noticed it a while ago on these forums but the search isn't turning anything up. He drew a trace on the foil with a sharpie, glued it to the plastic, then melted it off with trace etcher. He made two of them and made a headphone out of it...

Seems like the process is kinda simple,you just need to have the right equipment, so it may be possible to doo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back