Orthodynamic Roundup
May 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #14,461 of 27,141

Quote:
the guy who drove the price up!  j/k. 
tongue_smile.gif

Congrats.  And I know Sam's max bid so he didn't drive the price up, you scored a steal there man. 

May 31, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #14,462 of 27,141

Quote:
I hope not that kinda trouble Don!!

Ok so not sure any of you noticed this before but, it seems Elega and Akai are bedfellows. I discovered this when I opened an Akai electret energizer and the PCB read Elega, then I looked at the Akai/Elega orthos and discovered they look the same.

Akai ASE-50 and ELEGA FR-901C seem the same:
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=ELEGA_FR-901C
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Akai_ASE-50

Akai ASE-40 and ELEGA FR-901C seem the same:
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=ELEGA_FR-902C
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Akai_ASE-40-J

There is also an Elega FR-907 so maybe there is a lower end Akai ortho too.

actually i notice about that similarity, kabeer...
i had outbidded FR-901C several months ago, remember ? and on ASE-50 as well...
redface.gif

May 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #14,463 of 27,141
So was Elega a Japanese OEM? If so, they made a lot of the stranger 'phones to come out of Japan. Apparently they made the original Headphone With A Thousand Faces, which Lafayette Radio sold. Looks like they made/sold basic 'stats too. Look here.

May 31, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #14,464 of 27,141
Since we are already talking about orthos, did you have a listen to any of the new models?

The other reviews are all nice, but I'd like to know if any of them new orthos are what you have been waiting to hear during all these several hundred pages.

Quote:
So was Elega a Japanese OEM? If so, they made a lot of the stranger 'phones to come out of Japan. Apparently they made the original Headphone With A Thousand Faces, which Lafayette Radio sold. Looks like they made/sold basic 'stats too. Look here.

May 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #14,465 of 27,141
The socalled Neo Orthos? Yes, I was able to hear Absorbine_Sr's HE-5 on its dedicated amp alongside an HD 800 back in February. Keeping in mind that it was a brief trial, I much preferred his particular HE-5, and I say that because apparently there was a lot of production variation with the HE-5; I'd say AS got himself a good one. I wrote about it here.

May 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #14,466 of 27,141

Quote:

Hey, the DR-206C strongly resembles the Pickering OA-7A, which is confirmed as one of those thousand faces. And a few of the others also look like the B&O Form 1. The DR-232CH also looks familiar. So, maybe the two or three headphones that I've seen utilizing that unique look weren't just clones of each other, they were OEM'd from Elega.

Thanks, Waulta, that was a fun read. Google translate didn't exactly make it easy, but it was fun to say, "hey, I've seen those with another name, before"

May 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #14,467 of 27,141
Quote:
Congrats.  And I know Sam's max bid so he didn't drive the price up, you scored a steal there man. 

Haha, yeah, it was steal, alright; a steal from me! But, yeah, I was expecting them to hit more like $60 or $70, so I feel a little hurt that I was the second-place bidder at that price XD.

But, yeah, awesome ortho for an awesome price.

May 31, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #14,469 of 27,141

Thanks Ludoo

How's the rangefinder disease working out for you?

Quote:
Service announcement: I just finished updating the search engine to reflect the recent changes on HF, and now the index is updated to today's posts, and will hopefully stay updated in the future. One problem though is with image attachments: HF uses a braindead URL scheme for attachments, which I'm not able to fetch with the current code unless I make major modifications, so image attachments on HF will not get stored and indexed.

On the ortho front, I still have to unpack a pair of YH100 I got from ebay two months ago. :p

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #14,471 of 27,141

Quote:
The socalled Neo Orthos? Yes, I was able to hear Absorbine_Sr's HE-5 on its dedicated amp alongside an HD 800 back in February. Keeping in mind that it was a brief trial, I much preferred his particular HE-5, and I say that because apparently there was a lot of production variation with the HE-5; I'd say AS got himself a good one. I wrote about it here.

you should try HE-5 LE as well wualta, i prefer those than original HE-5...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back