Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #14,476 of 27,141
Well, I'm waiting for some SFI drivers from BoilermakerFan. I have some ideas for my first DIY ortho pair. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
biggrin.gif

The hardest part for me is deciding on what kind of headband I want to use or make. I'm looking mainly for comfort but I have no clue where to start.

This is going to be fun!

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #14,477 of 27,141
By the way, big thanks to ludoo for continuing to tinker with the search engine he made for us even as he drowns in vintage rangefinder 35mm cameras. Trying to use the new HF search engine is an exercise in frustration. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #14,479 of 27,141
Quote:
By the way, big thanks to ludoo for continuing to tinker with the search engine he made for us even as he drowns in vintage rangefinder 35mm cameras. Trying to use the new HF search engine is an exercise in frustration. 

Walt, it's the least I can do to thank all of you for this wonderful thread!

I too dislike the new HF, too much space for ads and too little for content, and all the extra functionality seems a bit too complex for what is still a forum. A pity my search engine is not able to fetch attachments from HF, but all the rest should work the same.

As for cameras, I'm drowning in lenses (I've developed a fascination for pre-AI Nikkors) and just got a used Canon 5D! Which I have to fund by selling some stuff, including the YH-100 I bought a while ago and never got around to damp and recable. Offers from fellow orthoheads will have priority over others, of course.

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #14,480 of 27,141

Quote:
Well, I'm waiting for some SFI drivers from BoilermakerFan. I have some ideas for my first DIY ortho pair. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
biggrin.gif

The hardest part for me is deciding on what kind of headband I want to use or make. I'm looking mainly for comfort but I have no clue where to start.

This is going to be fun!

Hey, if you found any good looking, affordable headbands to play with, let me know! 
I've currently have them in grado headband. the driver enclosure are recycled grado cups. need to find some way to close up the back though. Having the enclosure open takes away the details that should be there, even though it adds somewhat to a sense of space. They are not the most linear drivers to play with; I also found different frequency response between drivers, especially in the high frequency region. I think this can be partially attributed to the fact that the holes on the magnets do not line up on both sides, and how much the holes overlap vary from driver to driver. I've tried to use two layers of the heaviest felt I've got to flatten out the response curve, but I'm still getting bumps at around 3kHz, 7-8kHz, and 12 kHz, and varying response between 2 drivers around 6kHz to 10kHz. The sound seems to move from one side to the other. High frequency drops off quickly at around 12kHz and is inaudible pass 16kHz. Add a reflex dot, maybe?

(True audiophiles use alligator clips for all interconnects!)

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #14,482 of 27,141
As I recall from the Eagle H4300, the holes on the magnets are supposed to line up. If the drivers werent too expensive then maybe you could try to fix it?

Quote:
Hey, if you found any good looking, affordable headbands to play with, let me know! 

I've currently have them in grado headband. the driver enclosure are recycled grado cups. need to find some way to close up the back though. Having the enclosure open takes away the details that should be there, even though it adds somewhat to a sense of space. They are not the most linear drivers to play with; I also found different frequency response between drivers, especially in the high frequency region. I think this can be partially attributed to the fact that the holes on the magnets do not line up on both sides, and how much the holes overlap vary from driver to driver. I've tried to use two layers of the heaviest felt I've got to flatten out the response curve, but I'm still getting bumps at around 3kHz, 7-8kHz, and 12 kHz, and varying response between 2 drivers around 6kHz to 10kHz. The sound seems to move from one side to the other. High frequency drops off quickly at around 12kHz and is inaudible pass 16kHz. Add a reflex dot, maybe?

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #14,483 of 27,141

Quote:
As I recall from the Eagle H4300, the holes on the magnets are supposed to line up. If the drivers werent too expensive then maybe you could try to fix it?

They are the SFI bipoles from eBay. They are abundant enough that I should probably crack them open to see what the innards looks like. The back of the driver would look like a mess afterward though. BTW, should I worry about the polarity of the magnets? Should I try to align the magnets according to their poles as well? How can I tell if they are aligned?

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #14,484 of 27,141

Quote:

Sweet! Thanks for the information.

I would try to align the holes on the magnets. See if that works out.

As for headbands....I'm stuck. I don't want to use the Grado headband as I am looking for comfort (and quality). My basic design is a completely open design with a unique approach to treating the rear of the drivers. I'll have to play with them once I get them in to see how they respond to some of my novel ideas. 

I'll keep everyone posted as to how the progress is coming along. I'll also be taking pictures along the way.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #14,486 of 27,141

Quote:
Find fake ESW9s...  Probably the best foster phone for SFIs out there...

And where do I buy those?
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Nevermind...they seem to sell for ~$55.00. Too much for just a fosterphone. For that amount (plus what I have spent already), I would want something more original. I'll continue to look.
biggrin.gif

So much fun!!!

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #14,487 of 27,141

Quote:
And where do I buy those?
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Nevermind...they seem to sell for ~$55.00. Too much for just a fosterphone. For that amount (plus what I have spent already), I would want something more original. I'll continue to look.
biggrin.gif

So much fun!!!

Send the eBay sellers a message offering $40/pr...

They quality of the headband and the pads is worth the $50 for ease and the great sound in those fosters...

You'll spend more that $50 of your time looking for an alternate and it may not sound as good anyways.

If you want, I have a set of Pickering OA-3s I'll part with for what I paid, $35 plus shipping.  More work to get them mounted, but Sachu loved his pair...

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #14,490 of 27,141
Damn you guys make it hard for a guy with limited cash!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back