Orthodynamic Roundup
May 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #14,431 of 27,141
It does? Is there a real photo of the driver somewhere? (not just that sketch?)

Quote:
He added something here: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Goodmans_OHP-10
Says the Goodmans was an OEM by PMB. Now I am wondering...were Yamaha made by PMB as well? Since the Goodmans appears to have a HP-50 driver?

May 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #14,432 of 27,141
May 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #14,433 of 27,141
May 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #14,434 of 27,141

Quote:
(I'd still like to see that driver, but...)
.. I think the driver drawing looks more like this:

You could be right, but the drawing looks a lot like the Yamaha drawing too. Also the diaphragm in the diagram is corrugated, the PMB diaphragm's ordinarily arent...(well at least from the PMB80 I saw)

May 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #14,436 of 27,141

Quote:
Is it even legal to own a vintage ortho and then not take a photo of the driver?`

biggrin.gif
that is true!! The first thing i do after a 5 min listen is take a peek.
Ok Wualta ya gots to sort out this mystery for us.

May 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #14,439 of 27,141
I agree, HP50 and goodman look different. 

speaking of pictures ( and I blame all this on sachu who refuses to let me pack in peace :wink: )

may I present the 8 ohm SFI. 

bought some 8 ohm SFI tweeters , removed the solid magnet and replaced it with "holy" ones from previous misguided experiments with SFI drivers. 

..dB

May 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #14,442 of 27,141

Quote:
Hey, are the drivers in the Fostex T20v1 the same as in the T20v2?

You'll have to find somebody who has both of them.  Oh wait...  I guess you want me to open up my T20v1s, eh?

I'll get back to you that, but I suspect they tweaked the diaphragm tension or thickness.  I swapped the T20v2 drivers into the T10 housing and it wasn't good.  T20v1 is essentially a T10 housing with a larger bezel for the bigger pad.  The T20v2 in the T10 sounded nothing like the T20v1, irregardless of pad differences. 

I also wanted to offer up one good T10 diaphragm to anyone who might need it.  I can put it between styrene sheets to protect it on it's journey.  I'll send it anywhere in the world, but you have to cover the postage.  They're rare, so it's probably best to pay a little more for a box.  I'll measure it's DCR and let interested persons know. 

I also have two sets of T20v2 magnets up for grabs for anyone who has had misfortunes with those too.  IIRC, there where more cracked Yammies than Fostex, but I have them available. 

I will send them out to three different members, so if you want both, you'll have to decide which is more "valuable" to you.  Lurkers are welcome to PM me too, but I want to see a pic of your T10s or T20s. 
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #14,443 of 27,141
I always felt the v1 and v2 drivers were different, though of course they appear identical. I think BMF's results at least strongly imply that the diaphragms are different. How about the magnets, though? I always figured the v2 magnets were stronger, since the driver is more sensitive, but the v2 diaphragm could also be lighter. 

The driver in my Goodmans looks just like the one in the HOK 80 and the PMB 6, and not like any known Yamadriver at all, despite the totally misleading drawing in the owner's manual.

Don, good work on the 8-ohm dipoles! Let us know how they sound. I think I have some of those 8-ohm monopole drivers around too, left over from my mod/repair of my Walsh 3.

May 28, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #14,444 of 27,141
BMF, thanks for the reply, and I appreciated your PM too. I was curious. Speaking of "similar drivers" The SFI drivers do look a lot like the AT orthos. I haven't gotten a chance to do anything with them yet, and I likely won't until Monday, but are they similar in sound?

May 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #14,445 of 27,141
So you are building some more of what's in the Eagle.... but why?

Quote:
I agree, HP50 and goodman look different. 

speaking of pictures ( and I blame all this on sachu who refuses to let me pack in peace :wink: )

may I present the 8 ohm SFI. 

bought some 8 ohm SFI tweeters , removed the solid magnet and replaced it with "holy" ones from previous misguided experiments with SFI drivers. 

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back