Orthodynamic Roundup
May 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #14,416 of 27,141
Wikiphonia is getting a lot of our guesses about MB Quart OEM headphones confirmed by SunDevil1981 (Peter Grooff) who used to work for MB Quart.  I am hoping Peter can make the "who made what" guessing game a lot more clear for us. So if you have models to add and pictures to contribute now is a good time to help streamline EU ortho history.
tongue.gif

May 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #14,417 of 27,141
Eric's mild dislike of the Q45 expands into the universe without limit:

"The Q45 is a horrible, craptastic headphone. Mine is headed for the next open flame i see."

"I should stress that the Q45 is a uniquely terrible headphone and makes an awful fosterfone. 

The plastic is flimsy and squeaks constantly. The metallic ring around the grille is just a foil sticker. 

It's designed to fold flat, with one disc turned in one way and the other disc turned in the other. The upshot of this is that the stops on their struts are such that one side will rest flat against your ear and the other side will rest painfully where your ear would be if your head were a perfect cube. 

They are utterly wretched and nobody should ever consider purchasing them for any purpose, other than perhaps to burn them. With fire."

May 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #14,418 of 27,141
LOL, I love you guys. But, seriously, I saw them and thought "Fostex OEM", only to have that thought thoroughly and brutally crushed. It's too bad that headphones don't perform in direct relation to how nice they look.

May 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #14,419 of 27,141

Quote:
LOL, I love you guys. But, seriously, I saw them and thought "Foste OEM", only to have that thought thoroughly and brutally crushed. It's too bad that headphones don't perform in direct relation to how nice they look.

Don't worry, I did the exact same thing a while back, and saw eric's posts and went :frowning2:

May 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #14,420 of 27,141
Hi guys, need a little help.

I need to find some earpad mesh that is just like (or nearly the same) as the earpad grille mesh on the Stax O2 earpads?

Also can you reccomend the most acoustically transparent earpcup grille material to use?

May 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #14,421 of 27,141

Quote:
Hi guys, need a little help.

I need to find some earpad mesh that is just like (or nearly the same) as the earpad grille mesh on the Stax O2 earpads?

Also can you reccomend the most acoustically transparent earpcup grille material to use?

Going to swap it on LCD2? Try getting a large shifter at kitchen supplies store. They some times have very stiff fine mesh designs.

May 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #14,423 of 27,141
Hi Kabeer, I got a sheet of medium copper mesh from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MeshCompany

They seem to not have it in stock now but I'm using it for cups, it's very acoustically transparent, but a bit on the soft side, it can be cut easily with scissors and molded on a former to make proper cups if you like, perhaps there's another option there that would be as transparent and be more rigid (and more in stock).

May 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #14,424 of 27,141

Quote:
Just get some speaker grille cloth.

Just don't buy the same stuff J$ is already using. 
tongue.gif

So the KH-83 hybrid orthos are alive and well.  I'm waiting for the Koss R10 pads before I finalize the tuning.  Running SRX pads right now and while these sounds better than any other can with SRX pads before them, but the SRX pads are not a good replacement.

The T20v2 diaphragms have a lot more stiffness than the T10s, but the sound signature is better than I could have hoped for.  It's much closer to the T10 sound than a T20v2 sound.  Actually splits the delta between T20v1s and T10s nicely.  A little low bass loss compared to the T10s, but the sweet T20v2 mids are there, but tamed a hair so they're not quite so "close talker" in-your-face like the regular T20v2s. 

Ordered 2 sets of Neutrik 4-pin mini-XLRs jacks to try a conversion too.  If they work, I'll order more after CanJam. 

May 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #14,425 of 27,141
Quote:
Just get some speaker grille cloth

Speaker grille cloth doesnt seem to be that transperent...

Quote:
Faust2D said:

Try getting a large shifter at kitchen supplies store. They some times have very stiff fine mesh designs.

Quote:
Hi Kabeer, I got a sheet of medium copper mesh from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MeshCompany

They seem to not have it in stock now but I'm using it for cups, it's very acoustically transparent, but a bit on the soft side, it can be cut easily with scissors and molded on a former to make proper cups if you like, perhaps there's another option there that would be as transparent and be more rigid (and more in stock).

Thanks guys. ill check em out. I dont need it to be super hard or anything.

Lecky can you bring a bit round when you're coming over please? Just so I can see what its like.

May 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14,430 of 27,141

Quote:
Wikiphonia is getting a lot of our guesses about MB Quart OEM headphones confirmed by SunDevil1981 (Peter Grooff) who used to work for MB Quart.  I am hoping Peter can make the "who made what" guessing game a lot more clear for us. So if you have models to add and pictures to contribute now is a good time to help streamline EU ortho history.
tongue.gif

He added something here: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Goodmans_OHP-10
Says the Goodmans was an OEM by PMB. Now I am wondering...were Yamaha made by PMB as well? Since the Goodmans appears to have a HP-50 driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back