Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #14,026 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neodymium is pretty brittle, and the larger the holes, the more fragile the magnet might be. But, it certainly is powerful enough that you could get away with much larger holes.

And I saw the Rotel headphones, but I'd never heard them mentioned. They looked kinda cool, but are they any good?

They are Toshiba HR-810 oems. Check out the HR-811 review i posted on wikiphonia. It's not guaranteed, but likely similarish to that.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #14,027 of 27,185
Huh, no review shown. A spot of Googling showed a review on the Toshiba HR-910 from Waulta, though: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/elu...2/#post2245231

Psst, Waulta, you're the man! I love reading your stuff, it's always insanely informative and funny to boot. While I may not have needed much convincing to lust after ancient headphones, you might as well take credit for that.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #14,028 of 27,185
Quote:

Huh, no review shown. A spot of Googling showed a review on the Toshiba HR-910 from Waulta, though: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/elu...2/#post2245231

Psst, Waulta, you're the man! I love reading your stuff, it's always insanely informative and funny to boot. While I may not have needed much convincing to lust after ancient headphones, you might as well take credit for that.

Toshiba HR-811 - Wikiphonia
"1979 review"

And agreed Wualta is cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #14,030 of 27,185
Quote:

As in, you wrote that article from hi-fi news & record review!?!?

LOL, no, I scanned and uploaded it onto wikiphonia. I didn't exist back then
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #14,032 of 27,185
Quote:

As in, you wrote that article from hi-fi news & record review!?!?

Haha, well, yeah, I didn't either. I am just occasionally surprised at how "experienced" some head-fiers are, and I guess I never know.

Yeah, I was watching the Rotels too, but only because I thought they looked cool. I'm sure many of you will agree with me, that I like that aesthetic much more than the stuff from Denon, AKG, or Audio technica. Big, flat grills with functional understated headbands just get to me, somehow.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #14,033 of 27,185
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toshiba HR-811 - Wikiphonia
"1979 review"

And agreed Wualta is cool
smily_headphones1.gif

x3...
beerchug.gif

and i wanna say thank's for Don, lastnight the package has arrived safely...
mini impression, AWESOME SOUNDING MONSTEROUS BEAST...even direct to my shuffle 1stGEN...
now i'm curious how much are the difference (in SQ wise) to YH1000...
Don, maybe ?

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #14,034 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and i wanna say thank's for Don, lastnight the package has arrived safely...
mini impression, AWESOME SOUNDING MONSTEROUS BEAST...even direct to my shuffle 1stGEN...
now i'm curious how much are the difference (in SQ wise) to YH1000...
Don, maybe ?

this is good news. and, you are welcome.

not sure on SQ - in free air it is hard to say , the drivers are a little different so it would really be comparing one to the other

..dB

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #14,035 of 27,185
How are things going in ortho land?

I have second hand news sometimes from Kabeer, and still hoard the odd Yamaha now and then.

I just got this, delivered to my door from a nice seller who lives 500m from here

yamaha_ca400.jpg

I've been looking for a Yamaha CA-xxxx for some time, but there are few over here and they usually fetch a lot of money. So when I saw this nice CA-400 on ebay local I jumped on it, and so far it looks like it's 80€ well spent and I wil finallybe able to use a pair of speakers again. Any comments from the amp gurus?

BTW for the photo-heads, I was too lazy to change the lens (had an 85mm/1.8 on) and turn on some lights.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #14,036 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is good news. and, you are welcome.

not sure on SQ - in free air it is hard to say , the drivers are a little different so it would really be comparing one to the other

..dB

hmm, are there any other HP1000 user here ?
popcorn.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #14,037 of 27,185
So, I just bought some magnets to try, but here's a question on the topic of bass cancellation: if you stuck a passive radiator behind the driver, could you leave the baffle (on orthos in general) unsealed?

Correct me if I'm not thinking right, but this would create an inverted phase of the backwave (which is already an inverted phase of the primary source), and would cancel out the backwave inversely proportional to the tone (higher tone, less attenuation).

So, the operational question is: can a material be cheaply attained that would provide high-enough acoustic efficiency to make such an effort worthwile?

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #14,039 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice find Ludo, it is never good to be without speakers for whatever reason..dB

and that's the mother effing truth. nice to see you posting again Ludo
smily_headphones1.gif

AS for the yammy as a headphone amp..am not so taken by the CR-820 I have here. For speakers..they are marvelous.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #14,040 of 27,185
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, are there any other HP1000 user here ?
popcorn.gif

I hope so! If you are hiding, then post!

Otherwise only you
tongue.gif
. But even then, i think your HP-1000 is different, im not quite sure why though (or even what that translates to sound wise)
tongue.gif
. (ofc my idea of the changed damping is still out for the jury).
But here is some other evidence of strangeness:

Your pair looks like: Image:HP1000 cup.jpg - Wikiphonia
All other pairs (& YH1k) look like: Image:Yamaha HP-1000 P4.jpg - Wikiphonia

Can you confirm, is this the set I have seen that came in a brown Yamaha box? with just Yamaha on it and nothing else?... Im thinking maybe this is a development version or somthing...it would explain the hand cut damping etc

And LUdoo! great to see you here, everything in ortho land is cool! (except...i still own too many headphones lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back