Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 21, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #13,996 of 27,158
Well, I don't think that having the magnets be uneven would matter. It'd still be a linear drive, and you'd have the same depth of excursion, only it'd come at a lower voltage applied to the voicecoil. What I'm worried about is the effects on distortion that would come from an unevenly distributed magnetic field. Maybe it is nothing.

As far as the expense of getting small neodymium magnets, you can get them fairly inexpensively from Magnets4Less. Though, I am curious, what were you quoted for the 55mm magnets?

Quote:

But I want them in black!

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Black...27857-11994-CC

Find the nearest staples, or equivalent office-supply dealer.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #13,997 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as the expense of getting small neodymium magnets, you can get them fairly inexpensively from Magnets4Less. Though, I am curious, what were you quoted for the 55mm magnets?

I like these people, they're in Canada. They also have the shape I want. I haven't asked a quote from supermagnete yet, primary because My country is not available for a quote!
frown.gif
Need someone from Europe to help me out.
smily_headphones1.gif
That and I didn't think I will be doing this experiment any time soon; it was just a thought I had when I was looking at the design of various ortho drivers.

Edit: actually, looking back at indigo's website, they do do custom magnets for 125 dollars, let me draw up some magnets and get a quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find the nearest staples, or equivalent office-supply dealer.

Cool!

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #13,998 of 27,158
I received a pair of YH-2 today, unfortunately the medial magnet of the left side is cracked
(split in half).
frown.gif

I will be very interested in stock yh-2 magnet pm me if some one has one to spare.

Might as well try the neodymium ones though, guess I shall be in for a pair.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #13,999 of 27,158
Bugger!!
frown.gif

well I think you might still be able to resurrect it. I believe Don did some sort of a patch job on at least one if not a couple of drivers that arrived with crumbled magnets. Can you make sure that the diaphragm is okay? Post pics please so dBel84 and others can offer some advice and pointers to get your Yh-2 going.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #14,000 of 27,158
Its a clean hair-line split. I shall post the pics later.
Thankfully, the driver is working perfectly.
there is a resonance on left side especially when playing lower frequencies, I probably won't even have noticed if I didn't already knew that there is a fractured magnet inside.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #14,002 of 27,158
I thought about that but then I would have to separate the magnet-driver assemble.

Since the effect on the sound is minor or may be even imaginary so I am gonna wait for a couple of days to see if the effects are significant enough to require an intervention.

How did you tap a hole in the centre pin though ?

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #14,003 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought about that but then I would have to separate the magnet-driver assemble.

Since the effect on the sound is minor or may be even imaginary so I am gonna wait for a couple of days to see if the effects are significant enough to require an intervention.

Why not hold the driver upside down and apply superglue into the crack? all you need to do is stabalise the crack and make sure no glue seeps onto the diaphragm.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #14,004 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

with difficulty
smily_headphones1.gif

as for the crack - thought it was in pieces , so as Kabeer said , thin line of glue with some paper tape to hold it together.

..dB

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #14,008 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gurubhai, I recently acquired an HP-2 with a cracked magnet (worked at first, but then the magnet fell apart and there was damage to the traces on the diaphragm). This leaves me with an extra driver if you would like it.

Thanks, that would be great.
The seller has offered a refund though, I am not still sure if I should accept it.

I guess it would be better to replace the driver than to send the YH-2 to gallows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back