Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #13,981 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would a simple mask protect you? That actually sounds like a good idea, assuming it doesn't kill you.

No, they are VOCs and they will permeate normal dust type masks. You need a carbon canister respirator mask. Most of the gasses are forms of formaldehyde, chlorides, and urea compounds. A caveat of the carbon canisters is that once the seals are removed, they have a working life of about 12-24 hours. After that, the activated carbon is simply neutralized by trace compounds from the air, so plan well, and do all your cutting at one time.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #13,982 of 27,137
Don, compressing the memfoam before trying to cut it sounds wise-- could it be that the stuff would respond to temperature? Compress it, put it in the fridge, cut it at your leisure?

If one were determined to cut out a bunch of them, something like an Ellison diecutter machine might be cobbled up.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #13,984 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don, compressing the memfoam before trying to cut it sounds wise-- could it be that the stuff would respond to temperature? Compress it, put it in the fridge, cut it at your leisure?

"Ew! This Angel Food Cake tastes like ****!"

Eh, I don't think putting it in the fridge is a good idea, especially right now when strawberries are about to come in season.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #13,985 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Ew! This Angel Food Cake tastes like ****!"

You should've checked the expiry date.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #13,986 of 27,137
I think the blam-cut method is the only way to get a clean edge without resorting to water jets. Similar to the HD 414 foam pad mod using a ratchet bit. Whack it with a hammer, hey presto. Diy die cut.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #13,987 of 27,137
hi, i'm a newbie here, i already bought sfi drivers, found where to buy cables, the only thing struggles me is the frame and ear pads to mount these babies. I have a grado sr125 and a akg k242, which i might have options for playing with the pads. anyway i spoted these, which i think have similar ear pads to thoese denon. have anyone tried sfi drivers with denon earpads? during research i only seen ppl tried denon ear pads on those t50rp. the sony here seems like a bargain if the earpad is a bit similar and it looks good to, and most important: cheap
Sony MDR-XD100 | SALE Now On!

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #13,988 of 27,137
Think I'm finally done with my t20 now. I ordered Parts-Express.com:*5-1/4" 2-Piece Steel Mesh Speaker Grill Black | speaker grill mesh grill metal grill grille speaker cover and cut out two discs to replace the front magnet.

Right now I'm just using the stock grey foam for damping. If I add any felt at all it decreases the bass to less than I the amount I want and the treble with no front magnet + speaker grill is fine without extra damping imho.

Lovin it so far. It seems to hit 40hz pretty well.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #13,989 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think I'm finally done with my t20 now. I ordered Parts-Express.com:*5-1/4" 2-Piece Steel Mesh Speaker Grill Black | speaker grill mesh grill metal grill grille speaker cover and cut out two discs to replace the front magnet.

Right now I'm just using the stock grey foam for damping. If I add any felt at all it decreases the bass to less than I the amount I want and the treble with no front magnet + speaker grill is fine without extra damping imho.

Lovin it so far. It seems to hit 40hz pretty well.

Congrats man! That is really rather cool!!!!
floatsmile.png

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #13,991 of 27,137
Apr 21, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #13,992 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank2908 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, i'm a newbie here, i already bought sfi drivers, found where to buy cables, the sony here seems like a bargain if the earpad is a bit similar and it looks good to, and most important: cheap.

Might just work. Might require some hacking, cutting, abrading and such, but if you've built model planes and cars, it shouldn't be difficult. The closed back is going to contribute to a bit of extra brightness which you may or may not want (compare the Sony to the Realistic Pro 30, which uses a similar driver), but you'll be in the ballpark. Take photos/movies, notes, &c, and report back. Good luck!

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #13,993 of 27,137
I've been searching for black mesh grill, well, lets just say most have big holes (for car grills I guess), did not come in small quantity, or have outrageous shipping cost. @_@ I've also tried perforated aluminum mesh, and wired mesh, neither returned online retailers, I have yet to contact the ones without online store, as I'm afraid they might serve large quantities only. Honestly, I just don't know what these things are called. :s

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #13,994 of 27,137
Hey, has anyone tried sticking extra magnets on the back of orthos, as a way of increasing sensitivity without machining a new magnet?

Oh, and try shopping for an oil skimmer. They usually have a very fine mesh, and can be had pretty cheaply--especially if you're only using it for headphone grills. You can buy one in your local supermarkets, too.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #13,995 of 27,137
Quote:

Hey, has anyone tried sticking extra magnets on the back of orthos, as a way of increasing sensitivity without machining a new magnet?

If I remember correctly the extra magnets might not do much, or they might mess with the magnetic field, as one side will have stronger field than the other. Some have been talking about lining the back with tiny neodymiums, in which it was too expensive to consider.

Actually, I'm thinking about try replacing the magnets in my HP-1 with some custom cut neodymium magnets from these guys sometimes in the future. The minimum order is 150 CHF though (about 140 CAD) And they don't ship to Canada for some reason. So If whole bunch of people are willing to experiment and replace the magnets in their HP-1, (I guess it also applies to phones with the drivers of the same size.) and some body in EU is willing to help us and send these to the Americas, that would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Oh, and try shopping for an oil skimmer. They usually have a very fine mesh, and can be had pretty cheaply--especially if you're only using it for headphone grills. You can buy one in your local supermarkets, too.

But I want them in black!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back