Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #14,011 of 27,158
This is a good idea, will try soon.
The YH-2 are gonna stay with me due to a very generous offer from jageur272.
Thanks, once again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #14,013 of 27,158
Well, if it costs $125 per magnet, you're probably better off going the neo-ortho route.

Speaking of being outbid, who was bidding on the ATH-2's on eBay? I tried on one, but forgot about it until just after I'd lost.

Oh, and there's a B&O U70 there too.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #14,014 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if it costs $125 per magnet, you're probably better off going the neo-ortho route.

I dont think its going to be 125 dollars per magnet. lol That's the minimum order. I think its likely that $125 can get me a dozen of them.

Quote:

Speaking of being outbid, who was bidding on the ATH-2's on eBay? I tried on one, but forgot about it until just after I'd lost.

I did, There was actually two of them. One of the sellers was unwilling to sell it outside of the US.
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #14,016 of 27,158
Quote:

Oh, and there's a B&O U70 there too.

What was your high bid on the ATH-2s?

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #14,018 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was your high bid on the ATH-2s?

My high bid was $20, but that was meant as a "cheapskates go away" bid. I'm not sure how high I would have gone, what with the prospect of that u70. But then, I think that one will likely hit $75 or more...which is more than I can justify spending, atm.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #14,019 of 27,158
Quote:

My high bid was $20, but that was meant as a "cheapskates go away" bid. I'm not sure how high I would have gone, what with the prospect of that u70. But then, I think that one will likely hit $75 or more...which is more than I can justify spending, atm.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow...

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #14,020 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're the person that outbid me! @_@

I haven't outbid any one.
It was bad day for me.First, my YH-2 arrive with broken magnet, the ATH-2 seller doesn't even respond, then another guy refuses to send one to India & to top it all I let a Rotel RH-930 go by.
triportsad.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #14,022 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ATH-2 seller doesn't even respond,

I think that guy just refuses to send his stuff outside of US. But yeah, good luck on your headphone, I hope that fix is the last fix you'll need to perform.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #14,023 of 27,158
ujamerstand,
Is there a reason for the hole layout you've chosen for your magnet design? I always thought the sound would have been clearer if there was a greater hole to magnet ratio... something as close to a mesh as a magnet can be... but then maybe the magnets would not be strong enough?

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #14,024 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ujamerstand,
Is there a reason for the hole layout you've chosen for your magnet design? I always thought the sound would have been clearer if there was a greater hole to magnet ratio... something as close to a mesh as a magnet can be... but then maybe the magnets would not be strong enough?

Neodymium is pretty brittle, and the larger the holes, the more fragile the magnet might be. But, it certainly is powerful enough that you could get away with much larger holes.

And I saw the Rotel headphones, but I'd never heard them mentioned. They looked kinda cool, but are they any good?

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #14,025 of 27,158
Quote:

Neodymium is pretty brittle, and the larger the holes, the more fragile the magnet might be. But, it certainly is powerful enough that you could get away with much larger holes.

And I saw the Rotel headphones, but I'd never heard them mentioned. They looked kinda cool, but are they any good?

Thanks, I knew there would be a good explanation.

It's a shame as I think it would be quite interesting to see what the sound would be like without so much of it bouncing around inside the space between the disc and the magnet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back