Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #14,041 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are things going in ortho land?

I have second hand news sometimes from Kabeer, and still hoard the odd Yamaha now and then.

I just got this, delivered to my door from a nice seller who lives 500m from here

I've been looking for a Yamaha CA-xxxx for some time, but there are few over here and they usually fetch a lot of money. So when I saw this nice CA-400 on ebay local I jumped on it, and so far it looks like it's 80€ well spent and I wil finallybe able to use a pair of speakers again. Any comments from the amp gurus?

BTW for the photo-heads, I was too lazy to change the lens (had an 85mm/1.8 on) and turn on some lights.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice little 20W RMS into 8R, 25W RMS into 4R, peaks at 70W/90W.

I've found mine improved dramatically with some DeOxit in the pots, selector switches, Jacks, etc.

Sachu, did you use DeOxit in your headphone jacks? You might have a failing resistor on your jack's resistor network, unless both jacks sound bad to you, then I'd say you just need DeOxit in all the pots and especially the jacks. The headphone jack is just an internal resistor network off the output transistors. Try going direct across the speaker outputs and see if it sounds the same to you on the cans. If it doesn't, the problem is the resistors or jacks... Reminds me, I need to order Takman resistors for my headphone board when I order a few more Rikens and BGs for other builds.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #14,042 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope so! If you are hiding, then post!

Otherwise only you
tongue.gif
. But even then, i think your HP-1000 is different, im not quite sure why though (or even what that translates to sound wise)
tongue.gif
. (ofc my idea of the changed damping is still out for the jury).
But here is some other evidence of strangeness:

Your pair looks like: Image:HP1000 cup.jpg - Wikiphonia
All other pairs (& YH1k) look like: Image:Yamaha HP-1000 P4.jpg - Wikiphonia

Can you confirm, is this the set I have seen that came in a brown Yamaha box? with just Yamaha on it and nothing else?... Im thinking maybe this is a development version or somthing...it would explain the hand cut damping etc

And LUdoo! great to see you here, everything in ortho land is cool! (except...i still own too many headphones lol).

oohhh, my...i didn't notice about the different on the printed position on the headband before, thank's for reminding me...actually that HP1k are not mine, my friend that owned it...i just help to share all the info here, nonetheless...and he bought it without any box or manual from auction, you do remember this one right ?
koten5963img600x4501265.jpg

koten5963img600x4441265.jpg

koten5963img600x4501265h.jpg

that's the one...
beerchug.gif

OK, i found this one...and they do exist, like T50s differences...
hp10003.jpg

more info:
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/yamaha/HP1000.html

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #14,043 of 27,179
I did not really want to, but could not force myself to leave a YH-100 unsold on Italian ebay. I placed a low bid, and got it for about 1/2 the going prices. Now the damping nightmare begins again...

Oh, and I got 2kg of white felt for Brian this morning, it's packed and readyto ship on Monday.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #14,047 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mebe the smegster doesn't want his anymore
very_evil_smiley.gif
..dB

Really don't want to get tempted to sink money into the Aikido right now.
So Smegster..if somehow that is true..drop me a PM bro
tongue.gif
heck, just drop them in the mail and i'll send funds over
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #14,048 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo
How are things going in ortho land?

More importantly, how are things going in LudoLand?

Quote:

I saw this nice CA-400 on ebay local I jumped on it, and so far it looks like it's 80€ well spent and I will finally be able to use a pair of speakers again. Any comments from the amp gurus?

Cheap amplifier power is always useful, but I think you'll find, as others have, that as a rule, mid-70s (and earlier) transistor sound is fuzzy and constricted-sounding compared to newer gear, when listening with 'phones.

>COUGH[size=xx-small]mosfet[/size]COUGH<

However, it's true that oxidation on contacts can really mess up the sound. DeoxIT or the Euro equivalent might really make an improvement. Us oldsters have found to our horror that solder joints in our old gear can go bad too, so a thorough close inspection of the PCB is recommended, especially near parts that get hot.

Quote:

BTW for the photo-heads, I was too lazy to change the lens (had an 85mm/1.8 on) and turn on some lights.
smily_headphones1.gif

Turn down the bokeh! it burns! it buuuuurrns!

Oo, an 85mm f/1.8! Wish I had one o' those. Which camera are you using?

Quote:

I did not really want to, but could not force myself to leave a YH-100 unsold on Italian ebay. I placed a low bid, and got it for about 1/2 the going prices. Now the damping nightmare begins again...

YH-100 ancora! Porca miseria!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu
buggerations!!!

Yeah, that too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu
..really thought I had it for 76 quids..

Hah! you can't wharfe a dale with only 76 squids!

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #14,049 of 27,179
lol...things are going all wrong in the world. It appears our ortho ninja may have finally succumbed to the Stax mafia. He finally got to listen to his O2 today after having no amp to drive it with for the better part of a year.
tongue.gif

and am still on that whar fe dale hunt..oh yes I am!!

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #14,051 of 27,179
The LCD2 is here , and here to stay !! Big ortho with open back and bass that only a qwaga could flaunt. ( in my stable at least ) This has definitely been worth the wait, first impressions only but impressed we are..dB

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #14,052 of 27,179
Quote:

Big ortho with open back and bass that only a qwaga could flaunt. ( in my stable at least ) This has definitely been worth the wait, first impressions only but impressed we are..dB

Need more tidbits.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #14,053 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More importantly, how are things going in LudoLand?

Not bad, really. Apart from having an even more expensive obsession (Lens Buying Addiction), and feeling slowly sucked back in the ortho madness.

Quote:

Cheap amplifier power is always useful, but I think you'll find, as others have, that as a rule, mid-70s (and earlier) transistor sound is fuzzy and constricted-sounding compared to newer gear, when listening with 'phones.

>COUGH[size=xx-small]mosfet[/size]COUGH<

Heh, mosfet amps (well, any amp really) are incredibly expensive around here. I was lucky to find this Yamaha on local classifieds, otherwise it would have easily fetched 2x the price. What I'd really like is a late '60s German tube amp. There are a cuple of early model Grundigs (they are really Telewatts) which appear from time to time on local ebay, and if I one of them stays below 100€ I'll go for it. My (cheap, diy) hybrid phone amps have spoiled me.

Quote:

Turn down the bokeh! it burns! it buuuuurrns!

Oo, an 85mm f/1.8! Wish I had one o' those. Which camera are you using?

A Nikon H 85mm/1.8 pre-AI. I picked it up from a local store, and it was cheap compared to the going price as it's a pre-AI model and cannot be used on 95% of modern Nikon bodies. Cheap as in, about what an HP-3 would cost here on HF. I'm using an old Pentax *istD DSLR, again cheap but incredibly high quality, as it was their professional body 5 or 6 year ago. Pre-AI Nikon lenses can be stuck in the Pentax mount pretty solidly, and go to infinity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol...things are going all wrong in the world. It appears our ortho ninja may have finally succumbed to the Stax mafia. He finally got to listen to his O2 today after having no amp to drive it with for the better part of a year.
tongue.gif

Oh no, don't tell me kabeer is loving the O2. :O

Quote:

The LCD2 is here , and here to stay !! Big ortho with open back and bass that only a qwaga could flaunt. ( in my stable at least ) This has definitely been worth the wait, first impressions only but impressed we are..dB

Wow! How much will they cost when they are available to the general public?

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #14,054 of 27,179
Quote:

Wow! How much will they cost when they are available to the general public?

Availability -soon is the word..nothing more elaborate. Price is supposedly USD650. And its Made in the US effing A.!!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

yeah, he is liking it thus far, apart from the midrange and the slight treble happiness. Of course he is using just the SRD7 with a sharp receiver...but the word is he is impressed enough to seriously consider keeping it. I'll let him furnish more details. I think he just needs more headtime with the O2 to get used to its sound signature. No doubt the O2 is a phenomenal headphone.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #14,055 of 27,179
Quote:

SUPERB news! im v.v.intruiged I must say, and my bank account is already scared.

Quote:

tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

yeah, he is liking it thus far, apart from the midrange and the slight treble happiness. Of course he is using just the SRD7 with a sharp receiver...but the word is he is impressed enough to seriously consider keeping it. I'll let him furnish more details. I think he just needs more headtime with the O2 to get used to its sound signature. No doubt the O2 is a phenomenal headphone.

Lol! Don't know how this is sneaking into the ortho thread
tongue.gif
Anyway, i'm thinking there are O2 variants maybe...as what I am hearing is not what people suggested would happen with a O2 driven by an SRD7mk2 (ie they say dark sound, boomy loose bass, subdued trebles). But I am finding it the opposite, it sounds quite in control, tight bass that goes fairly low but doesnt obtrude, the trebles are extended and quite strong, thunderpants level treble I think.

They lack that thick lush midrange that some orthos do so well, but the VERY open nature gives them an openess that no orthos do.
Anyway it's strange, either I have a pair that isnt as dark as other peoples, or my ears are just a million miles difference to most.
(ludo, I think you'd like this
tongue.gif
, Cachao is splendid on these)

Im want to compare the Audeze LCD-2 to this now
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back