Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 19, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #13,966 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand
The more I train my ears, the less tolerent it is to bad gear.
frown.gif

This will happen, but it all comes right in the end-- you'll also learn to evaluate a piece of gear quickly and expect no more from it than was evidently put into it. That way you can still listen to stuff whose sound you'd expect to be intolerable.

People will ask how you can possibly listen to a given POS and you'll say things like "Pfft. It's just a boombox with cheap fullranges and tiny ceramic magnets. Nothin' to get excited about..." People will admire you for this. They'll think you're forgiving and flexible, and try to sell you insurance.

As for the Orthodynamic Thokkh, don't try to do this test with your 'puter. You need real LP pops and cracks, the kind that spike 20-30dB above program level. [mumbles something about digital compression/clipping] Make sure the phono cartridge and phono preamp have good transient response (I like my Ortofons-- heh-- for this particular test). The resonance of most orthos is in the midbass, so you need to concentrate your attention down there.

RE: custom earpads: It'll be interesting to see what gets stuffed into those leather pads over the next few months. Having recently discovered some of its charms, I vote for memory foam.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #13,967 of 27,137
I currently have a set of Bose pads on my TPs. Had to make a foam mounting doodad for them but they really are great pads. Bose aviation pads @ 35-ish, oval and very soft with their memory foam filling. Looks a bit ungainly but sounds great. Wish I could make phones to fit these pads. Sadly they're not wide enough.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #13,971 of 27,137
I was curious too, so when i asked Don how he cut up the memory foam for the pads. A pair of scissors he replied. Being a doctor helps him with immense patience and steady hands i guess.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #13,972 of 27,137
Never tried cutting memory foam before. My mom would kill me if I cut up her pillow. But let me make a suggestion anyways: use a small electric saw, cut a strip and glue the side facing the pad backing on to a cutout of the pad's shape, and stuff it in?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #13,975 of 27,137
A real sharp pair of scissors do the trick , you can compress it down and reducing the cutting margin and finish the final shape once you get the bulk out of the way. It doesn't have to be perfect, the leather will force the final shape, also cut it a little larger than you think you need - it is easier to trim it down than to wish you had more substance.

..dB

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #13,979 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a hot wire cutter work for cutting memory foam?

It would, but memory foam is nasty ****, poisonous chemicals will off gas when you burn it with a hot wire. Any foam cut with a hot wire will off gas, memory foam is just worse and more toxic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back