Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #26,327 of 27,156
Whaaat? I'm trying to copy you guys, then add my impressions/measurements for yours entertainments in return. Secondly, that YH-2 experiment is not replicable yet. I realized from my failed YH-1 version of that mod that more damping is required. The YH-2 is not just 2lb foam, it's 2lb foam that's also been squished down (when closing cups) effectively decreasing airflow / increasing damping. I would like to create a version using denser 6lb foam but cut right so no squishing variable. If thats not enough I'll try another denser foam on hand. I am not going to order more materials though because YH1/2 is getting less interesting. T30 is just better in obvious ways. It may be worse in more subtle ways though that I've yet to notice. I've only listened to either a small amount, and I have weak ears and experience. I would say that the Yamaha treble peaks are more discernable (as its flaws) and the T30's uber driver is just more resolving and dynamic (even undamped vs Yam damped).

Still want a HP-1anisotropic and YHD-1, but they are rarer than I thought... I've been very lucky to get hands on a T30 and RP18 (soon) so I'm very happy. Just one more headphone I'm seriously interested in within (just) my budget and that's coming on loan in a few weeks: ETA Genesis. First users are reporting TOTL end game. First person on loaner tour retired from headphone chasing because Gen, and I would like to follow suit.

Oh, and @VanHai is going to hook me up with a modded T50RP to try, but later on that. I need to source a T50RPmkii first. I've had a few diy modded T50RP in that past so am a fan. T50RP custom enclosures I bet are hugely improving... which reminds me I have a THX00 I might use for the T30 driver. :]

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #26,328 of 27,156
E0E76168-C42B-4217-86D4-37D03F1520A3.jpeg

2lb foam in back of T30 cup. Not sure if there is airflow from possibly leaky front baffle so would like to address next to be certain. The foam here improved the one issue I had with previous iteration (undamped hybrid pads) which was slightly aback vocals. This mod pushed 2kHz back up to proper levels and now the phone sounds nice as-is. Mods to follow will be icing. I expect it will improve in technicalities with more damping like the Yamahas. Is that true in your experience with these serpentine style orthos? Ive not researched rp18 mods yet.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #26,329 of 27,156
Interesting set of 3 posts from 500 posts ago about variations in these Yamaha drivers, possibly the result of changed manufacturer tensioning, and perceptions on driving them with different amplifiers.
Ludoo, leeperry and dBel.
Of note for me is the Ludoo post where he mentions damping tipping things over the edge and near impossible to find the perfect spot.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/orthodynamic-roundup.111193/post-8091151

I could not have described it better for the HP-1 irritation I had/have as far as trying to nail them down perfectly.
I don't even want to think about it right now. They have been the longest running mod attempts ever.
Maybe I am too fussy ?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #26,331 of 27,156
Thanks @JadeEast ,
good to know.

I don't have the same problems with the HP-50 variants or YHE50 or YHD-2.
Tried a direct swap of the really good HP50( A/S ) mod to the HP-1 and no way is it the same.
So I had to back off a lot on direct driver sorbo, and a few other things.
My trouble was the treble could never hit analog style detailed, it always got some haze and over longer listening some fatigue due to that haze.
Treating that haze without affecting the main goodness of the rest was also an issue, like a see-saw effect.
Not enough damp, then over-damp when trying to hit the high end issue.
I have 3 HP-1 I think now.
YHD-1 was similar ( not as bad ) but that was due to space of stock enclosure mainly, cannot fit much stuff behind the drivers.
I could try other things until the cows come home ( as the saying goes ) but put it aside and got onto other things.

Still not tried the YH100, HP-2 or HP-3.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #26,332 of 27,156
You guys already know but:

Ive only recently joined vintago ortho club and have had two distinctly different YH-2 drivers. Sintered had a little smoother or lighter treble with a “haze”/fuzz and warmer tone (lighter tensioned?), then my current which is smooth surface with chamfered magnet holes. dBel84 told me he was aware of a third with square holes.

Now researching RP18 within ortho round up thread and it seems there were multiple versions as well besides mylar vs kapton. Some had the spaced magnet rods, others had the circular magnet slab with slots, and one had a different style of tracing.

Smooth and chamfered:
954AA80A-5BC6-427B-8DD7-D82359DF1B21.jpeg

Sintered:
E7E90DAB-3CE2-46BE-ACB3-24C33703567B.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #26,335 of 27,156
Transplant plans:
T30 -> HE560
RP18 -> THX00 (unclosed)

Likely would have to make some wood baffle adapters. I think it could be done with just power drill attachments such as hole saws. Ill have to do some soldering too. :)

edit: HFM focus-a pads on both though.

edit2: amazon links not working for some reason so deleted. Links were to a Hakko soldering station and tips.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #26,336 of 27,156
@Philimon did you ever see @takato14 's NAD to modern Fostex headband mod?
Maybe it was a modern Denon headband assembly.
Either way really classy mod.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #26,337 of 27,156
I saw it. I think it was a THX00 headband. Thats what inspired me to buy mine.
I bought one as “parts”. It was just missing a headband screw. Ive got it rigged to work like normal. Just need to order some proper screws/nuts etc. or buy oem replacements.

Attachments

• 4D73DBB5-22A6-43FB-A93A-767D2E833DD5.jpeg
    4D73DBB5-22A6-43FB-A93A-767D2E833DD5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #26,339 of 27,156
CLOSE = I was , not even close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back