Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #26,296 of 27,153
Wool disc removed:
T30 no damp.jpg

*push vs no push

I will try taking measurements without enclosure next. Just hold up or tape onto EARS. See maybe how much effect this enclosure has, maybe it has to go. Also need to try sealing the leaky front baffle and see what happens then.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #26,297 of 27,153
Wool disc removed:
T30 no damp.jpg
*push vs no push

I will try taking measurements without enclosure next. Just hold up or tape onto EARS. See maybe how much effect this enclosure has, maybe it has to go. Also need to try sealing the leaky front baffle and see what happens then.
Not a criticism; I think it's worth adjusting the graph's horizontal limit down to 10Hz.
There's a lot of useful information that can be seen below 20Hz that is a lot more reliable and telling than anything over 10kHz.
Tyll also measured down to 10Hz in all his graphs, which is something that many so-called 'pros' don't do.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #26,298 of 27,153
T30 no enclosure.jpg

ne = no enclosure
v = magnets aligned vertically
h = magnets aligned horizontally
ns = no seal

Looks like no enclosure helped quite a bit to smooth upper frequencies. I just held up the driver by hand, not perfect. Look at the high frequency difference for vertical vs horizontal magnet arrangement. Could easily be a difference due to placement or seal, would need more samples. Don't know how magnet arrangement could change frequency response, but I wanted to try. Not listened yet.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #26,299 of 27,153
Going to try sealed front baffle, then sealed cup. See if that boosts the bass n lower mids to balance better with upper mids.

Ordered a used headphone as parts - might use for transplant.

Some foams arrived from mcmaster carr. Going to try those too today hopefully on YH-1/2.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #26,301 of 27,153
What's your thinking on the peaky 3K bump. Reverse Ortho wall getting a resonance peak from the sealed over cup? Reflection off the rear cup reflecting through? Is the yellow Ortho "biscuit" still in there?

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #26,302 of 27,153
🤷‍♀️

Measured the effect of stock enclosure. Now to measure effect of pads.: 1. no pads, 2. velour, 3. open foam, 4. stock modded with lower layer(s) of porous materials, different thickness, different ear chambers, etc. I dont have much on hand currently. Then damping - currently naked. Or maybe damp first with stock materials atleast then pads.

I bought a headphone with removable cups, so I can go open or closed depending on what works well if anything.

Modded T30 measured by Tyll. Would need to look for scompton’s relevant posts for mods and if he shared comments passed from Tyll about measurements like “no seal”.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #26,303 of 27,153
Been busy today so couldnt get to all the mods I wanted, but not totally unlucky.
T30 velour, no damping.jpg

Washer/dryer running so bass is noisy, but look at the rest. :) Listening a little and the velour pads open up the sound stage immensely and the tonality is no longer weird, comfort way up too. Wait until gets quiet for better measures, then will damp. Ordering some right-sized velours and hybrids in mean time. The velours I have right now are too large diameter for this baffle.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #26,305 of 27,153
My pads are 100mm. The Fostex takes ~80mm. Looking for suitable replacements but all Im finding are ~1month deliveries. Anyone know of headphones with velours closer to 80mm dimension?

Thinking of ordering something like this for sealing off driver grease (replace the electrical tape).

edit: amazon link is being dumb for me.

Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, 3.35 oz. Tube

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #26,306 of 27,153
2lb density open foam is atleast twice as difficult to breath through as the random packaging foams Ive been using with yamaha mods. Probaby twice as less airflow as felt. The 6lb going to be overkill. 15lb I cannot breathe through at all...

9FDF07EF-C06E-4E0C-9C8B-0488081BE55F.jpeg
D994D854-60C9-4243-87D5-7920DB395DE2.jpeg

^ I no longer recommend using gorilla glue for mods. It even pulled off wire insulation. Rewrapped in electrical tape.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #26,308 of 27,153
@Philimon sounds good. Intersesting to see the impact of the velour pads. Lends some credence to the importance of the front wave treatment for me. My suspicion is that one material to do all the work would be a unicorn. I've usually used a few different materials layered in my tuning attempts (although I've left the felted with three holes damping on the PMB as stock).

Adding sorbothane made me relook at things as well. So, if that's in the mail... I'd hold off on getting married to one application or treatment. But you might love something before then. I think Nick may have posted something about the sorbothane in the past. Not sure if there's universal theory of its use.

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #26,309 of 27,153
The sorbothane arrived today - try later tonight or in the morning. The 2pound density foam from mccarr worked about as well as felt with a layer of generic lite density foam, which is good but also not quite enough. 6lb foam probably way too much damping but will try. Will redo 2lb combined with sorbothane first. T30 mods may get put on hold until I get new pads. Measurements are a pain with the oversized pads. I am still deciding on the new pads to get for Fostex and Yamaha. Looking at velours and hybrids. Trying to keep costs down and delivery fast.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #26,310 of 27,153
Ordered velours and hybrids for T30. And velours for YH-2. Arrive Wednesday. Could not find anything in stock for YH-1 so thats good enough excuse to finally move these to their next owner. Good luck @VanHai ! Ill apply sorb and basic felt+foam mod to get you started.

The sorb is for around driver edge only, correct? Just dont go overboard to avoid seepage into driver. Understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back