Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 1, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #25,951 of 27,137
I found this UNITRONIC DH-305 at a local flea market last Sunday. I wasn't able to find any info online.
Left channel wasn't working at first but it came to life after i turned up the volume.
Build quality is really bad.

IMG_20190227_231507_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190227_231932_HDR.jpg

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #25,952 of 27,137
I will go out on a limb here and say they are a Hosiden manufactured item.
The DH prefix plus the overall design to me is Hosiden , who were an OEM for folks since way back and still make things, one under their name Satolex ( Satolex "Plum" is a gorgeous headphone by the way ).

If this is the case I am guessing the driver there has a strange amount of holes in it, which might be different than the typical SFI type hole arrangement.
I can't see that in the images, but can you get a closer look at the hole pattern on the driver magnets ( under the fabric dustcover )
Maybe draw a picture or describe them and/or number of holes?

This is a really neat discovery thanks so much for posting this up!
So cool.

* the plastic grille in front of the drivers on the earside may be making them sound less than ideal, but ideal is a personal thing obviously.
If there is a way to nondestructively remove that baffle to try them so nothing is in the way of the driver and your ears it might be worth a shot. IF you don't like the sound now. But it is rare and almost a one-ff so might be a crime to ruin them as they are!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #25,954 of 27,137
Latest measurements of my Echo TDS-16 40 ohm. I wonder why right channel has more upper bass and less low end and less middle to compared to left. I have tried to make exact same dampering on both sides. They even have volume almost same level, <1 dB inbalance. Is there anything I can do?

TDS-16 mod 3.png

Also ringing at 3-6 kHz. Any suggestions?
csd.png

Edit. I got it better but now I have that canyon dip and very much over dampered? It sound weird, not sure if its disortion or just bad tracks.Very crusty. I'm too afraid to post CSD :D But it is seriously smooth sounding.
canyon dip.png

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #25,955 of 27,137
I will go out on a limb here and say they are a Hosiden manufactured item.
The DH prefix plus the overall design to me is Hosiden , who were an OEM for folks since way back and still make things, one under their name Satolex ( Satolex "Plum" is a gorgeous headphone by the way ).

If this is the case I am guessing the driver there has a strange amount of holes in it, which might be different than the typical SFI type hole arrangement.
I can't see that in the images, but can you get a closer look at the hole pattern on the driver magnets ( under the fabric dustcover )
Maybe draw a picture or describe them and/or number of holes?

This is a really neat discovery thanks so much for posting this up!
So cool.

* the plastic grille in front of the drivers on the earside may be making them sound less than ideal, but ideal is a personal thing obviously.
If there is a way to nondestructively remove that baffle to try them so nothing is in the way of the driver and your ears it might be worth a shot. IF you don't like the sound now. But it is rare and almost a one-ff so might be a crime to ruin them as they are!

The hole pattern looks like SFI?
I do't think i'll invest time in trying to mod this headphone. Some of the plastic is cracked and they are really uncomfortable to wear. I will maybe try to transplant the drivers but keep the rest to be able to put them back together.

IMG_20190302_235940_HDR.jpg

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #25,959 of 27,137
Interesting reading here. But I have to say, I had a good chuckle looking at some of the more dilapidated looking headphones here and elsewhere as I realized my HiFiMANs don't look a heckuva lot better. They literally just fell apart. So disappointing.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #25,960 of 27,137
Hi everyone, player.ru user sacd provided some pictures of popular (mostly in Russia) 55mm ortho drivers. He said he doesn't mind if I post it here, so here you are

fVUHS9q.jpg

FQm94vp.jpg

Ce75aLW.jpg

PiAdhyz.jpg

ChxChRY.jpg

Yamaha HP-1 anisotropic
mass = 69.5 g
7.5 mm thick

PMB-100
mass = 59 g
6.4 mm thick

Yamaha YH-100
mass = 88 g
9 mm thick

TDS-5
mass = 59 g
7.2 mm thick

TDS-16
mass = 59.1 g

H16-40c
mass = 49 g

And PMB-100 once again (found online, don't remember where, maybe here):

cj54epa.jpg

4RhZavt.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #25,962 of 27,137
JadeEast if you are thinking of using TDS-5 drivers for a replacement, keep in mind the variations of bass light and heavy TDS-5, and 5M 's.
I think it was player.ru that had a really good thread on all those TDS-5 , I did manage to understand most of it with translator.
Unless you were doing a magnet swap.

Still have that DynaX ?

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #25,963 of 27,137
Nick, thanks for the heads up on the variation. I'll keep it in mind. Yes, I do have the DynaX still. I was looking around for some possible ear-pads in my very slow way. Picked up some generic Dennon D2000 pads that I though would fit, but they don't quite make it. The housing is from a Stax SR5 mold so something might be around that works better, you might know - or I can just find some two sided tape and make it work. A good reminder that those are in a box and waiting for some attention. I've not been looking but I've not seen another one show up in the wild since I first picked up my pair.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #25,965 of 27,137
A very nice recable job there also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back