Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #25,967 of 27,138
Yeah but it looks much better than stock.
Is there a particular Russian forum you like better than others for information?
Just wondering if there is one I am not aware of.
I tend to go read them and catch up every few months.
Not seen much new on the MyST items lately, seems mostly posts on Mycroft forum.

Are you considering simple / easy to remove mods to them at all?
I found the YHD-1 to be particularly tricky.
In fact I just revisited it the other night and seemed to have nailed it down a bit more, enough that I can ignore it and simply enjoy now instead of thinking about tweaks.
Maybe a recable here is the next thing

Nick, thanks for the heads up on the variation. I'll keep it in mind. Yes, I do have the DynaX still. I was looking around for some possible ear-pads in my very slow way. Picked up some generic Denon D2000 pads that I though would fit, but they don't quite make it. The housing is from a Stax SR5 mold so something might be around that works better, you might know - or I can just find some two sided tape and make it work. A good reminder that those are in a box and waiting for some attention. I've not been looking but I've not seen another one show up in the wild since I first picked up my pair.

If you get around to it we can compare notes.
Have had a black pair for a while, I forget how long.
Pretty sure mine are still stock pads.
You mentioned Denon angled pads, and a Stax SR-3 here did come with those type, though perhaps a cheaper aftermarket one which is slightly smaller.
I know there are many like that around now, many are for SONY V6 etc., then perhaps even that Brainwavz clone thing.
Mine has the earside driver opening perimeter vents blocked off and I cannot tell if it is stock or not.
IIRC the later model did do this blockage stock.
Early ones did not and left them open.
Such a hard company to get info about, even May Belt herself was no help.
BTW if you write to them they will send you a free sample of Rainbow Foil and also Creme Electret :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #25,968 of 27,138
Yeah but it looks much better than stock.
Is there a particular Russian forum you like better than others for information?
Just wondering if there is one I am not aware of.
I tend to go read them and catch up every few months.
Not seen much new on the MyST items lately, seems mostly posts on Mycroft forum.

Are you considering simple / easy to remove mods to them at all?
I found the YHD-1 to be particularly tricky.
In fact I just revisited it the other night and seemed to have nailed it down a bit more, enough that I can ignore it and simply enjoy now instead of thinking about tweaks.
Maybe a recable here is the next thing

Well, I mostly use player.ru. The biggest one, so easier to find information. For example, those driver pictures I posted before are from one of the treads.

Yep, Roman (Myst creator) is stuck with his player he said could be released by 2011...

Nope, i don't think I'll mod them. I replaced foam rubber (the old one rot) and waiting for acoustic fiber to repair pads. That's pretty much it, I had YHD-2 modded (in a new sexy wooden house) once but I found myself using them much less even though sound was better. I just didn't take them with me, and in a stock body it can fit any bag. As for me, this is the toppest portable solution and I don't want to ruin it.

So you have YHD-1 too? Any ideas on improvement? I mean which foam to use etc

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #25,969 of 27,138
I will have to go read some more over there and se what's new ( Player.ru ), thanks for the reminder.
Still tempted on some of Roman's stuff :) but it is difficult to get a feel for the low end on each model with so many various impressions.
I have read everything Icould find.
Absolutely no way to try them here in Canada.

I have YHD-1 & 2 & 3 YHE-50 etc
I really like these smaller drivers they sure can pump out the low end.
YHD-3 seems slightly peakier than the rest though. And if I open the YHD-3 up I bet the black foam they used will be decayed quite badly.
Opening them up though involves possibly breaking a few inner cup tabs, and that is after breaking the glued seal around the entire edge just to get inside them.

On the YHD-1 I experimented with various layers of batting materials, but every combination seemed to skew the sound a bit far out of what I wanted.
I tried a lot of variations.
Too bad the space inside the cups is limited.
I wanted a slight improvement to the low end tightness, and a only tiny bit of that throughout the rest of the sound.
I did not want to lessen the low end either so could not overdamp them at all.
The thing that did that improvement to the low end tightness, but not overly so, I feel ( so far ) was some 30D Sorbothane ( 1/10 inch to 1/8 inch thickness ).
I only had to use a thin 2cm long by 1/2 cm thick strip on each of the driver edges.
I took out the addditional 2.5cm long by 1/2 cm strips and only left the smaller 2cm long by 1/2cm ones since the extra strips were too much and gave me trouble with overly exposed top end.
No matter what I did I could not tame it so out they went.

Then I decided to completely remove the various quilt batting discs and try out some of the very thin, but very dense foam from the earside opening inserts that come with the
Bose Avitaion pads= pretty cheap offf Ebay etc. I just throw the pads out allI want is that foam for things.
The very thin dense black stuff.
Used that direct on the rears of the drivers.

Foam was replaced under the fabric earpads with some of the cheapo aftermarket Sennhesier tuning foams off Ebay.

I see dBel reading here now also , he has had some good tunings on the YHD models also...

EDIT:
this is probably what I used for under the stock fabric earpads.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thin-Thick...m3ce3851335:g:E~kAAOxyCbFTlvy8&frcectupt=true

this is the stuff from the Bose Aviation pads.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...061227&hash=item56bcacdf05:g:zRUAAOSwUKxYkVIm
the grey ring peels off and leaves the thin black stuff intact.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #25,970 of 27,138
I just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for all the info in this thread.

I took the plunge and modded my Yamaha YH-3 since I had everything laying around to do it.

Did a layer of round cotton pad, a layer of felt above that then popped on some fenstrated PU leather pads for Grados and wow these sound so great now! It's a night and day difference. Clear highs without being sibilent and much more tight and controlled lows. Mid-range is smooth but slightly recessed moving these into a more U shape sound profile than I'd have expected possible from the original sound. Soundstage is exceptional as well. I'm well pleased.

IMG_20190405_141222.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #25,971 of 27,138
Hi,

I just received a pair of Nad RP18. Is there a way to determine the variant (Kapton or Mylar) without removing the pads?

What are basic mods (pad swapping ?) you would recommend for these ? My ears are quite crushed against the stock flat vinyl pads.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #25,973 of 27,138
Hi,

I just received a pair of Nad RP18. Is there a way to determine the variant (Kapton or Mylar) without removing the pads?

What are basic mods (pad swapping ?) you would recommend for these ? My ears are quite crushed against the stock flat vinyl pads.

Thanks

Just saw your post on Reddit. As far as a sure way to tell without opening them up, I don't think so. I mentioned on your post that you could also take a peek behind the yellow dampening material to see.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #25,975 of 27,138
So I finally opened my NAD, and it appears to be a Mylar variant.

These are my second vintage ortho, after a Yamaha HP3.

IMO the RP18 is a much better sounding can. Still rolled-off in the treble with stock pads. Bass extension is superb, I can hear 15 hz air rumble. Midrange is lush but a bit too forward around 4khz, very frontal and intimate, reminded me of the AD2000. Confirmed it in A/B comparison (still have the AD2K).
I didnt touch the stock damping (there's a good 4mm thick disc of yellow cotton/wool at the back of the drivers, and a disc of felt attached to the housing.)

My biggest issue is comfort ; stock on-ear pads are awful so I replaced them with some Chinese Ori pads found on Aliexpress last year. Major improvement in treble and overall clarity. But now with thick pads, I max out the headband adjustement - first time it happens, and my head is not large.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #25,977 of 27,138
I just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for all the info in this thread.

I took the plunge and modded my Yamaha YH-3 since I had everything laying around to do it.

Did a layer of round cotton pad, a layer of felt above that then popped on some fenstrated PU leather pads for Grados and wow these sound so great now! It's a night and day difference. Clear highs without being sibilent and much more tight and controlled lows. Mid-range is smooth but slightly recessed moving these into a more U shape sound profile than I'd have expected possible from the original sound. Soundstage is exceptional as well. I'm well pleased.

How you attach pads makes big difference to overal sound.

My first try on the Echo TDS-16. I made double sided tape cube. Sound was quite nice and balanced. Slightly recressed upper frequencies.
IMG_20190302_231911.jpg

I don't have picture of my latest attach but it was same as Fostex T50RP front is. Only permanently clued pads to its place. Most sound pressure, elevated frequency +6 dB 150-600 Hz, -6 dB 2K-3K and after 8 kHz -12 dB. I may do some more modding when I have the motivation to ruin good pads and do some hard cleaning work.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diyers-delight-fostex-t50rp-mk3

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #25,978 of 27,138
92C052A3-3687-4F34-8101-9DA06504A693.jpeg

Just finished these,Vibrolabs Maple cups T50rp mk3

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #25,979 of 27,138
My biggest issue is comfort ; stock on-ear pads are awful so I replaced them with some Chinese Ori pads found on Aliexpress last year. Major improvement in treble and overall clarity. But now with thick pads, I max out the headband adjustement - first time it happens, and my head is not large.

Do you have link to the aliexpress seller for the pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back