Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #22,051 of 27,185
Wow wow wow! Just saw a girl at school with a HP-1 (well, a painting of it rather)... Really want to go ask her what up with that!! Sigh... Rushing to class and no time for that is gonna bug me for a while. We don't see people interested in vintage stuff too often in Montreal. Specially not people in their 20s.

I might actually finally have time to open my YH-100 tonight... I suppose they open up in the same way as the HP/YH-1&2 by peeling off the pads?

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #22,056 of 27,185
Wow wow wow! Just saw a girl at school with a HP-1 (well, a painting of it rather)... Really want to go ask her what up with that!! Sigh... Rushing to class and no time for that is gonna bug me for a while. We don't see people interested in vintage stuff too often in Montreal. Specially not people in their 20s.

I might actually finally have time to open my YH-100 tonight... I suppose they open up in the same way as the HP/YH-1&2 by peeling off the pads?

No need to peel the pads all the way off. Push the pads towards the inside, just enough, to expose the screws at 2, 4, and 10 o'clock with the cable at 6 o'clock...plus 1 on each side of the cable entry.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #22,057 of 27,185
  Are we talking about the girl or...

Nope.
Just made me wonder if there was a audiophile community/club/group at my school. Cause 5 years in I never saw anything totally different like a vintage Yammie. M50, Grados, etc. yes yes. Beats and Sonys yes yes. Porta pro yes. But that is something new to me although just a painting.

No need to peel the pads all the way off. Push the pads towards the inside, just enough, to expose the screws at 2, 4, and 10 o'clock with the cable at 6 o'clock...plus 1 on each side of the cable entry.

Thanks, I guess it's the same as HP/YH-1&2 then. Good to know :D let the ripping begin...
(In my experience I always had to end up peeling the whole pads off but aye... will try without doing that this time)

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #22,058 of 27,185

Thanks, I guess it's the same as HP/YH-1&2 then. Good to know :D let the ripping begin...
(In my experience I always had to end up peeling the whole pads off but aye... will try without doing that this time)

Yes, same as HP/YH 1, 2, 100, 1000. I've modified and/or inspected all and they have the same screw pattern:

HP-1

HP-1 driver 

HP-2

HP-2

YH-100: You can see all 5 screws with 1 on each side of the cable wires.

YH-1000: screw pattern is similar but set at slightly different "clock face" positions. This
picture also shows the stock "differential damping" scheme.

YH-1000: Screw pattern shows you only need to push the pads about 5 mm to expose
the screw heads. I removed the pads to repair them.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #22,059 of 27,185
So... you didn't talk to her yet, huh? Get with the screwing, then go chat her up, although I still don't know whether it was a girl with a painting or a painting of a girl, and even in the former case, why someone would have a painting of a Yamaha ortho, but I've seen worse.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #22,060 of 27,185
yes Nick, beside more comfy, the pads add darker sounding and punchier bass on T10's..
yes, i swap the damping back to stock but since its not using stock cable its still sounded brighter than the stock one..
and the stock pads have cracking, so its leak more..thats why i seal inside all the cup but didn't touch the opening vents..
the other thing i add silicon seal bellow the dynamat lining, to be exact its cover the baffle floor..
you can click on the dismantling T10's pict on last post to see it in bigger size...

on T30 the sound may vary based on earpads+headband positioning on the head..not to forget its a shallow pads...
if i put it a lil bit to back, (inner pads touch the ear opening, what the name is it ? lol ), it sound a lil bit bright & open...
but if we put it a lil bit front, (inner pads touch your back ear), it sound less open but not dark, thicker body, punchier low notes..
more seal, more body, and more extention on the freq range..maybe there's sonic change caused by reterminated with mini gold neutrik 3,5mm..
lol a local member of my forum appear...is that really you audio.freakie ? :D

Yes I am :D

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #22,061 of 27,185
Yes, same as HP/YH 1, 2, 100, 1000. I've modified and/or inspected all and they have the same screw pattern:

Thanks for the elaborate post :D i gueds the -1000s follow a more cardinal coordinate rather than the off-perpendicular (or ortho as CAD softwares would call it) placement.
But that sunny side up! Im surprised... i thought those were user altered damping... guess not.

So... you didn't talk to her yet, huh? Get with the screwing, then go chat her up, although I still don't know whether it was a girl with a painting or a painting of a girl, and even in the former case, why someone would have a painting of a Yamaha ortho, but I've seen worse.

Erm well i had class.
I suppose the girl was in fine arts program cause i dont see why else anyone would be carrying a painting around. Much less of such a random subject.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #22,062 of 27,185
Anyone considered or actually tried those new Comply earpads? Nevermind I can't see them anywhere on the site, I think they may have been exclusive to those other new headphones that were coming out.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #22,063 of 27,185
hi guys,

here's a lil sharing from several week using Sony MDR XB500 pads on my T30's silver fork...

after rolling damping again (to avoid overdamped result) on my T30, now i know this pads of XB500 are really worth it to purchased..

i remove the tapes that i have used before on the magnet opening, remove the aquarium filter fiberglass, remove small semi dense felt..
i settle with 2 layer of different sizes of mineral wool (the bigger diametre layer come from a defect NAD RP-18) & put the stock factory dampener from baffle under pads onto the inside cup side...yup, the black fabric-like filter with bass lense maroon felt..
the black filter originally place on the inside cup side have already ripped out after several times i rolling the tapes..
it sticked on the tapes so i have to remove all from both channel to avoid any imbalance..
i used a thin fabric from cheapo headset to cover the opening magnet on baffle side...
it doesn't change overall sound but it doing great job on covering the baffle from dust or sweat...
then the others things i do are using mineral wools + 1 semi dense felt..
the stock one i put on the opening cover cup (just like what i see on Aiwa HP500's) and the big layer i put on the back of the driver, with the semi dense felt on the center of mineral wool..
now it sounded more balance&flat like when it using MDR-V700 pads but greatly improve on the micro detail at midrange..
the depth & low improve as well, the edge still sound real without fatigue..
still its a lil bit sufficient (from the time using V700 pads) cos the ears seated far from the baffle..
and agreed with scompton even the the overall sound may vary, the T30's are now very comfy to use for many hours..

note:
sorry for my bad english, hope my post easy to read/understand...

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #22,065 of 27,185
iQEM yes i understood that,  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back