Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #21,991 of 27,169

A challenger appears?

Patent WO2013020794 

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=WO&NR=2013020794A1&KC=A1&FT=D
http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2013020794

A patent published in Feb 2013 by non other than.... Sennheiser. I cant make out what the patent is actually saying, it seems to be mostly about some manufacturing method blahblah. But the second part of it is very planar-magnetic.

Oh GOD. That's definitely a planar driver.

Well. I don't know whether to be excited or pissed about this. On one hand, now we have another modern company making use of the once-abandoned planarmagnetic technology. On the other hand... well, it's Sennheiser. So along with that, we get their idiotic overpricing, somewhat disappointing build, and their house sound (which I personally find disgusting). 

We'll see.

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #21,992 of 27,169

A challenger appears?

Patent WO2013020794 

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=WO&NR=2013020794A1&KC=A1&FT=D
http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2013020794

A patent published in Feb 2013 by non other than.... Sennheiser. I cant make out what the patent is actually saying, it seems to be mostly about some manufacturing method blahblah. But the second part of it is very planar-magnetic.

Really cool find! When Sennheiser enters a field in the headphone game though, they become the incumbent.

The only other image in the patent:

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #21,994 of 27,169
  Very nice find Kabeer, is Senn planning on entering the planar market? Have they ever done a planar phone before?

Planar, meaning that the driver membrane is completely flat, yes, as they've made several electrostatics over the years. Some examples are the famous HE-90/60 and the less extravagant Unipolars from the mid 80's.

Planar-magnetic (ie orthodynamic), no. This is quite the discovery. So much for it being a surprise.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #21,995 of 27,169
  Planar, meaning that the driver membrane is completely flat, yes, as they've made several electrostatics over the years. Some examples are the famous HE-90/60 and the less extravagant Unipolars from the mid 80's.

Planar-magnetic (ie orthodynamic), no. This is quite the discovery. So much for it being a surprise.

Yes, I meant planar magnetic/ortho/iso-dynamic. Senn has definitely seen the market share Audeze and Hifiman have been receiving in this respective niche of headphones. What excites me is that Senn, with their experience and budget, may unravel some great technologies through this research.
Audeze and Hifiman have brought nothing new to planar magnetic phones, except the fact they are more elaborate designs of the Fostex driver.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #21,996 of 27,169
Patents aren't just about the mechanical principles, but the design look, shape or method. Perhaps they're putting a patent on using seemingly thick heavy magnet 'ribs' in that arrangement. 
Gosh just thinking about it makes my neck hurt.

I'll gave it a quick read and tried to translate it on the interwebz, and the patents (as far as I can tell) are relating to something called "2K Powder-Injection Moulding" entire parts including the chassis etc, AND the magnets themselves (I think) - so improve the quality of all the parts.
From a quick search on 2K moulding, it seems to create better molecular joins and is visually cleaner (none of those horrible joining seams) because the moulding process is done in two stages and completed before the 1st stage has cooled, so both stages of moulding cool at the same time.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #21,997 of 27,169
Great find Kabeer!
The patent seems more about a manufacturing process (? single injection mould driver unit with both magnetic and non magnetic parts) rather than anything specific about orthos. But it does seem that Sennheiser are keeping the orthos in consideration as well as the dynamic ones.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #21,998 of 27,169

--It's Here!--

Received the RP18 earlier today. The dumb postal service took them to the wrong house... thank God the guy that received them actually contacted me and brought them to their correct destination. That was far too close.

First listen... jeez. There were times that I thought you ortho freaks were crazy; now I see what all the fuss is about. Extremely impressive right out of the box, from the first listen I knew these were gonna be good. Very, very fast headphones with the absolute most precise imaging I've heard to-date. Very balanced sounding, if a tiny bit overwhelming in the lower registers. At first the bass seemed a bit boomy but adjusting the headphones seemed to fix this. Highs extend far and sparkle beautifully, without any splash or distortion. Wonderful control throughout the entire spectrum and richly detailed and textured; I'm hearing little nuances and textures in my music I've never heard before for the first time in what feels like ages. 

However, as expected, the earpads are pure evil. Not only are they uncomfortable as all hell, they also make the whole sonic experience very "wall-of-sound" ish. I put my AKG pads between the cups and my ears, and that seemed to fix every single thing I was concerned about, including changing them from a wall of sound into an absolute soundstage chameleon. I'll be trying some HiFiMAN pleathers and velours as well as some AKG velours, perhaps even Audez'e pads once I have that kind of money ($100 for a pair of earpads, jeez).

Overall, best headphones I've owned so far, and better than most of the ones I've heard. Very happy. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #22,001 of 27,169
Picked these museum pieces up from the post office today. In original box with user manual and look like they have never been used. They even have the brand new smell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad the burn-in time for these about 25 years. 

Seriously though, awesome find!

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #22,002 of 27,169
I want to go all out no-return modding it to make it sound as fantastic as my first pair, but to me It is the equivalent of making a hot-rod out of a perfect original T-Ford in mint condition. Ruining a piece of history. I have nothing against making hotrods out of old cars in bad shape and saving them from certain death, but its a shame ruining such a fine example.

I dont believe there are many Aiwas left out there that comes close to the condition this one is in.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #22,003 of 27,169
I want to go all out no-return modding it to make it sound as fantastic as my first pair, but to me It is the equivalent of making a hot-rod out of a perfect original T-Ford in mint condition. Ruining a piece of history. I have nothing against making hotrods out of old cars in bad shape and saving them from certain death, but its a shame ruining such a fine example.

I dont believe there are many Aiwas left out there that comes close to the condition this one is in.

I have to agree with you.
If any mods are to be made on it - by all means, go knock yourself out doing so; but for the love of Moses, make sure they're reversible and document the process completely; if not for the community but for the headphone itself so that one day if it exchanges hands, it can be restored to it's former 'glory'.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #22,004 of 27,169
Picked these museum pieces up from the post office today. In original box with user manual and look like they have never been used. They even have the brand new smell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Geez, two of the rarest orthodynamics acquired within days of each other. Crazy.

Beautiful find, that headphone is downright sexy.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back