Orthodynamic Roundup
Aug 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #21,976 of 27,158
Quote:
All that stuff is probably designed to be used on non-porous surfaces i bet so that might be ruinous to whatever us left if it gets into the fabric underlayer ( is there one of those I dunno?)

Is it something you could dab carpet tape to and gradually stick off the crud?   Sounds worse than removing smoke smells . Best of luck

It's far worse than smoke smells, at least those don't stain every damn thing they come in contact with. My mom was <PISSED> when she saw her (white) counters covered in what was the equivalent of black ink.

However, I was able to get what remained of it off using some duct tape and some patience. No more black powder in my hair.

I'm considering attempting some mods on the ATH-8, but not until I get a proper speaker amp to drive them with. My current is my desktop subwoofer's speaker taps. Totally ignoring the fact that it clips like hell trying to drive these even on high gain, it has all content below 50Hz shaved off and sent to the woofer. Yuck.

I expect that the RP18, however, will disinterest me from messing with the ATH-8 until further notice. I cannot even begin to express how excited I am about those cans. <3

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #21,977 of 27,158
The NAD's that's a nice find for sure!

I now know that black staining stuff you are talking about. Worst ever.  Dr Bronners soap works wonders to get that off countertops lol ( or regular dishsoap and a scrubbie pad ) but in your hair it's gonna make a tragic mess haha.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #21,979 of 27,158
BTW, while looking for infos on the Koss K6 I found this: http://www.hifi-antique.com/view_product.php?product=9467

They ask the price of a vintage STAX but still, I know you guys love super rare stats/orthos ^^

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #21,982 of 27,158
Quote:
The very rare headphones in Russia Amfiton TDS-H25S. 

Looks like the same clamps and snap tabs as the TDS-15. Have you had s chance to look at the drivers and magnets?
What is the "star?"

I wonder how they sound compared to TDS-5M, TDS-15, and TDS-16. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #21,983 of 27,158
Quote:
Quote:
The very rare headphones in Russia Amfiton TDS-H25S. 

Looks like the same clamps and snap tabs as the TDS-15. Have you had s chance to look at the drivers and magnets?
What is the "star?"

I wonder how they sound compared to TDS-5M, TDS-15, and TDS-16. 

I think those ARE the drivers, the last picture at least. That is one odd VC trace.. if it can even be considered that. 

Weird stuff.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #21,984 of 27,158
I think those ARE the drivers, the last picture at least. That is one odd VC trace.. if it can even be considered that. 

Weird stuff.

LOL You're right. They are so unique it just did not register! The trace pattern is beautiful. No Yamaha copy, there.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #21,985 of 27,158
Quote:
LOL You're right. They are so unique it just did not register! The trace pattern is beautiful. No Yamaha copy, there.

PDOT do you have any sound impressions of that russian headphone?

If you look close it seems to be an SFI diaphragm, suspended around an area that doesnt seem to be active in the magnetic field (those large lines seem more like return lines for the traces). The actual magnets seem to only cover the 'SFI looking' portion and the rest just seems to be hanging freely without a magnetic field. Quite strange, and ofc the driver is very unique but i wonder what is the benefit of this method....unless what im saying is totally incorrect.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #21,986 of 27,158
Quote:
PDOT do you have any sound impressions of that russian headphone?

If you look close it seems to be an SFI diaphragm, suspended around an area that doesnt seem to be active in the magnetic field (those large lines seem more like return lines for the traces). The actual magnets seem to only cover the 'SFI looking' portion and the rest just seems to be hanging freely without a magnetic field. Quite strange, and ofc the driver is very unique but i wonder what is the benefit of this method....unless what im saying is totally incorrect.

Interesting. Maybe this design just didn't work as well as planned and was replaced by others, including Yamaha clones. Maybe PDOT can offer some information on their sound qualities.

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #21,987 of 27,158
I recall we had another Russian member mention those headphones along with some impressions previously... unless my dreams have foresight abilities (or am just plain crazy)!

Not that more impressions would be a bad thing ... :D

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #21,988 of 27,158
Sep 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #21,990 of 27,158
regarding the Russian transducer - Drakkard posted these and others back in January the idea behind the suspended driver is for bass - you will see the primary magnet is for the coiled region and then there is an area that has open holes for what I can only assume is the low frequency response. His description was "Two words about the sound - driver is closed-back by itself, and gives pretty flat response without any additional damping. But the sound is closed and subject to plenty of resonances, caused by closed housing from cheap plastic."

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back