Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #18,436 of 27,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(1) The minor difference between the two holes made a major difference, and i'd have to agree as previously stated in here it's the sweet spot for a port in a small enclosure.

(2) No more dreams about them I hope now.

(1) I assume the bass suddenly took a dive. What happened?

(2) No dreams. Nightmares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'll put in a little time with them before I consider modding.

This is precisely what I recommend to anyone coming to this thread fresh, without a lot of experience using and working with different headphones and different kinds of headphones. Let your ears educate themselves.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #18,437 of 27,158
Yah. I have lots of experience with dynamics of various stripes... but never orthos or electrostats... so I'm wrapping my head around the differences and strengths... 

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #18,438 of 27,158

Quote:
Yeah.... I've got the LCD-3's here still and my YH3 are not far behind.  In fact...
very_evil_smiley.gif

funny , my experience too - all my orthos just sit on the rack behind the LCD3 and hardly get a listen :wink:  ( talk about obtuse interpretations ) 

..dB

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #18,440 of 27,158
Someone here the person who did a bit of staircase bidding on the ATH-2s a few hours ago?

I'd been eyeing the pair as my first (starter) ortho, but forgot for a split second and scheduled a date with the girlfriend for this evening, right for when the auction was due. Had no choice but to make a high early bid.
frown.gif

Oh well, the orthos can wait a bit longer, I guess.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #18,441 of 27,158

Quote:
(1) I assume the bass suddenly took a dive. What happened?

(2) No dreams. Nightmares.
This is precisely what I recommend to anyone coming to this thread fresh, without a lot of experience using and working with different headphones and different kinds of headphones. Let your ears educate themselves.

=> 1. the 3/32 hole previously was lacking in bass comparatively. There was some good timbre at least I guess the word is, and I did notice a bit when plugging the holes manually. Tolerable.
  As soon as the port was expanded that extra drill bit size to the larger 1/8 port, the bass became fuller bodied and almost perfect. I'd better not get tempted further.  I need a motion sensor :"YOU there with the screwdriver! Drop the handtool, and walk awaaay from the headphones.NOW."

=> 2. Now that you mention it, I think I was tossing and turning. I wonder what I was saying apparently I have conversations. "zzz..zzz huh.friggin stupid felt! Useless. I'll just put spaghetti instead it should absorb sound like sauce....zzz.zzz.."

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #18,443 of 27,158
hmmm maybe a disc of motherboard foam which basically amounts to nothing. The chamber itself is about the diameter of the holes on the driver back, maybe about 2 driver thicknesses deep if that, and at the end there's a small domed indent from the tip of another drill bit. Pretty sure there's a piece of the acousti in there but that's only the size of a dime.

So making an overly long description shorter:Basically no only the thin 1/4" mobo foam.  I could try to plug some felt in the end to see how that works, at least that's removable.

.125".        Just when I got used to old school imperial you throw that out there. But I do understand that machinist speakage.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #18,444 of 27,158
couldn't hold back from posting this. I am soo excited.. i have had the parts and cups laying around for a year with no motivation or confidence in my own ability and so sent it off to Don to create this from the materials.

Afzelia burl thunderpants version of the wharfedale ID1. ROughly the cup volume matches that of the zebrawoods.

Stunning work Don. So glad i did those headphones justice by trusting them in your very capable hands and ears.

So very looking forward to listening to them..i have missed the ID1 sound..

Sorry i couldn't hold back from posting this.. wow... just wow. I owe you one for sure for this.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #18,447 of 27,158
Quote:
I would like to collect experiences about Wharfedale ID1 modding and comparisons.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/16185#post_7224196
Thats mine :p.
But ofc Sachu just asnwered your question a few posts above with his lovely woodies.

Quote:

Afzelia burl thunderpants version of the wharfedale ID1. ROughly the cup volume matches that of the zebrawoods.

Stunning work Don. So glad i did those headphones justice by trusting them in your very capable hands and ears.

Really great job. Congrats!
Wonderful work Don.

Quote:
Maybe it has been already discussed in the past, but the "Planars & Exotics" forum on diyaudio has some interesting threads, like this one on building isodynamic full range speakers. A few pics are here. I would not mind a pair of near field ortho speakers for use at my pc. :)

c'mon, make the ludo1 earbuds first!

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #18,448 of 27,158
Thanks for pointing me to that post of yours kabeer. Did you evolve the project after that point?
And tanks Sachu to be so perfectly timed with my quest in coming out with another ID1 incarnation. That wooden cups are wanderfull. Where did you get them from?

The ID1 are special and so eluded my expectations when modding applying common ortho knowledge. For example I'm inclined to think they won't sound as refined if closed.
Sachu, as far as I know you are the only one who tried the ID1 both open and closed. What are the differences you found? Whay are you trying another closed wooden setup after the zibraphone?

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #18,449 of 27,158

Quote:
Thanks for pointing me to that post of yours kabeer. Did you evolve the project after that point?

Nope they are still like that, I bought a crusty headband to put on them but didnt get round to sorting it all out. I am planning on maybe changing out the stock magnets for Neodymnium ones....but thats a tough project and needs time :-/. And im still not sure exactlyhow im gonna mount the magnets.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #18,450 of 27,158

Quote:
Maybe it has been already discussed in the past, but the "Planars & Exotics" forum on diyaudio has some interesting threads, like this one on building isodynamic full range speakers. A few pics are here. I would not mind a pair of near field ortho speakers for use at my pc. :)

Yup, and sometimes they talk about headphones over there too. Did the Monsoon computer speakers ever make it to Italy? Of course it's more fun to DIY, but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back