Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #18,466 of 27,179

Quote:

(Sorry to bring up such an old quote [and of regular dynamic phones, no less], but I suspect wualta's swamped with PMs as it is, so I'll post my question here and hope I'm not beheaded.)

Did you ever get around to finding out why those two eBay Realistic Pro 50s sounded bad? And did you find that the good pair (without bass) had Sextett diaphragms?

Oo, interesting point, and no, people know better than to send PMs to the Crusty Curmudgeon (sounds like a cable TV show)-- I always answer at length, if you catch my drift. The idea of venting and delaying backwave into the earcup via baffle vents, is, as you can see by the Magnat post just prior, an idea that stays with us, ortho or dyna. But no, I never did bust 'em open to see if it was a really-obvious but typical AKG running production change that they deny had ANY audible consequences. I just wrote 'em off and tossed 'em down the laundry chute. You're right, I should investigate.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #18,467 of 27,179
All these beautiful photos, it's now time for ortho HORROR.

Forgive me for I have sinned
ph34r.gif

(it was an honourable sacrifice...promise), it seems like this section of the frame is not supposed to be accesible to anyone.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #18,468 of 27,179
Cool!  Are you getting rid of the reflective radar dish from hell?  I have a feeling that piece is the worst part about the entire headphone.  It's so close to the driver you can't really cover it effectively at all. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #18,469 of 27,179

Quote:
Cool!  Are you getting rid of the reflective radar dish from hell?  I have a feeling that piece is the worst part about the entire headphone.  It's so close to the driver you can't really cover it effectively at all. 

I think the treble reflector is maybe part of the design? to push up the limping trebles. Anyway this horror picture is the result of obtaining the strut piece inside.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #18,470 of 27,179
Yeah I'd much rather use damping materials to up certain frequencies in a more controlled way than a big metal radar dish.  I dont think it was part of the design though anyways, it's just there to contain the ball joint.  I don't think very much in the Yamahas was designed by the sound engineers other than the driver.  I'm suspicious they actually had 2 separate teams, one for the driver, and a Bellini team for the frame.  And they didn't have telephone lines between the offices...  :)

I think a lot of headphones are designed this way unfortunately.  Sometimes I wonder if the design team makes a frame first, and the acoustic engineers then try to make it work acoustically (and often fail *cough* Ultrasone *cough).  Sure would explain a lot of things. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #18,471 of 27,179
I forgave every sin Yamaha designers have committed, once I got my T30. This, my friends, is a 'torture device from Hell'. Only a true sadist could have designed such a headphone 'cause the damned thing sounds so good that you don't want to take it off even though your poor ears are crying for mercy.

At least the Bellini design Yammies can be easily worn for hours without any fear of ear amputation !

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #18,473 of 27,179

Quote:
Finally I get myself an ultrasone pad for my NAD RP18
the sounds is pretty similar with beyer DT880 pad and it's very comfortable compared to the stock pad

Content with the sound so far now? If you're not in absolute awe, you are not done with modding yet...  :wink:

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #18,475 of 27,179
Funny, I was just thinking of the K250/Realistic Pro 50 the other day. Do let us know if you find anything out.

And a very cool find yet again, DAC.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #18,476 of 27,179

Quote:
btw is there anyone here ever try to get a woody mod for NAD?

I also considered that, especially as I have a lathe and quite some nice woods down in the cellar. But I couldn't be bothered until now. Moreover, the stock look isn't exactly ugly IMO...

I guess I rather build myself some pad fixation thingies in order to be able to do some pad swapping in future - never had the O2 pads on the Mylar until now. I've fixed the W11 pads with doublesided adhesive tape right now, that is suboptimal.

-----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of the O2 pads, I put them off the T20v2 recently. It sounded okay and was comfortable, but in comparison to stock pads, they provided an annoying 3-tone bass tendency, and also the mids lost part of their glory.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #18,477 of 27,179

Quote:
Nope,I think next year I'll try to get a woody mod for my NAD and replace the pad with leather pad :)
btw is there anyone here ever try to get a woody mod for NAD?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/4740#post_4746699

Smeggy (the Thunderpants maker) made this NAD woody a few years ago. I dont think he was completely satisfied.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #18,478 of 27,179

Quote:
I also considered that, especially as I have a lathe and quite some nice woods down in the cellar. But I couldn't be bothered until now. Moreover, the stock look isn't exactly ugly IMO...

I guess I rather build myself some pad fixation thingies in order to be able to do some pad swapping in future - never had the O2 pads on the Mylar until now. I've fixed the W11 pads with doublesided adhesive tape right now, that is suboptimal.

-----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of the O2 pads, I put them off the T20v2 recently. It sounded okay and was comfortable, but in comparison to stock pads, they provided an annoying 3-tone bass tendency, and also the mids lost part of their glory.

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/4740#post_4746699

Smeggy (the Thunderpants maker) made this NAD woody a few years ago. I dont think he was completely satisfied.

hmmm
he doesn't satisfied with the look or the sound?

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #18,479 of 27,179
The weight. 1,5 kg of HP, oh my dear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back