Orthodynamic Roundup
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #18,421 of 27,158

Quote:

K3

This is the best PMB ortho I've heard so far, very balanced sound with deep and even bass response, powerful mids and extended treble. There is a trace of a mid/treble peak somewhere around 3kHz (estimation) and the treble is probably rolling off slightly. But I couldn't help thinking this driver has a lot of potential if mounted in a proper cup (like Thunderpants). All PMB cups I've seen are compromised one way or the other, several-parts plastic designs that leak everywhere and do not provide the needed support and stiffness. A good wood design with tuned vents and careful damping could probably make a very fine headphone.

But we must find high quality replacement pads for these headphones. The original pads always loose the pleather and end up white like this, and that includes the Dual, Magnat and B&O U70 models. The K3 pads are 78 mm with 25 mm holes. They shouldn't bee too thick either. The relatively small hole (which it shares with the original Fostex designs) supports bass and dampens midrange energy while keeping the treble clean. This is a key factor for good sound, in my opinion.

The PMB drivers have not been praised as much as the Yamahas and Fostexes, which is unfair. More about PMB including pics of the drivers and information from PMB's Willi Presutti can be found in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/192939/id-these

Let me end this little three-part story by revealing the brand of the headphone. The logotype seemed familiar somehow, and I set my memory to work for a few days. Finally the answer came to me, and I knew from where: I'd seen it on my visits to Germany. It's a stylised "K" of course, an abbreviation of Karstadt, the well-known German department store. This is one in a line of many models offered by the "Kaufhaus" during the years (most from Japan if I remember correctly).

Karstadt Kopfhörer 3, "Made in W. Germany". A nice find.

Great find !! Completely open back - that is a very promising design.
How about a picture of the driver? PMB had many small variations in their production, apparently.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #18,422 of 27,158

Quote:

Great find !! Completely open back - that is a very promising design.

I think you missed his post just before that one; it has the photos you seek plus the sad revelation that it's a fake open back. But an enterprising person with no more than a sharp blade could certainly do the conversion. Interesting that the designers felt the need to suggest an open back.

The fact that the magnet holes are small gives me  hope for other small-hole PMB drivers.

Question is, did Karstadt buy a megapallet of these things, and do they pop up for sale often enough so we can all get one, or is mdr30's the last one we'll ever see?

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #18,423 of 27,158
Wualta has a good memory, a pity my old Karstadts were nowhere as nice as the K3. :)

As a side note, I just finished fixing the search engine (again!) to accomodate the latest HF changes in permalinks and layout. Old content has been updated to hopefully link to the proper post on hf, new content has been indexed for the ortho and (in a few minutes) thunderpants threads.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #18,424 of 27,158

Quote:
I think you missed his post just before that one; it has the photos you seek plus the sad revelation that it's a fake open back. But an enterprising person with no more than a sharp blade could certainly do the conversion. Interesting that the designers felt the need to suggest an open back.

The fact that the magnet holes are small gives me  hope for other small-hole PMB drivers.

Question is, did Karstadt buy a megapallet of these things, and do they pop up for sale often enough so we can all get one, or is mdr30's the last one we'll ever see?

How could I miss that  
eek.gif
 It should have been illegal to draw an open back on a closed back like that. Then the PMB-80 and Magnat are still the only PMB models with fully open-back. (The grundig and Dual 720 are more half-open.)
The DUAL720 also has good bass with a driver looking like that Karlstadt so there is certainly good hope. PMB variation is crazy though, so the next Karlstadt that shows up could easily have a completely different PMB driver and no bass.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #18,425 of 27,158
How sad is this.  I recently picked up a set of t40 version 1 at a surplus sale for 2 bucks.  I tore them apart this past weekend and gave them a thorough cleaning and dampened them as per suggestions.  Got to work today and plugged them in, they sound freaking amazing. 

What's sad about that?  Today I also received a pair of HD650's, my "grail" headphone, and I can't seem to put down the T40's!  I've spent the majority of the listening to my T40's with the 650's testing out every once in a while, but always returning to the T40's.

My HD598's I have the feeling are definitely going to sitting for awhile, I guess I'll have to spend some time with the 650's later this week, but today!, its' all T40 all day long.

Not to mention the extremely stupid giddy smile I've had on my face pretty much all day from listening to these headphones.  Certain songs (Styx, Renegade for one) just put a smile on my face I just couldn't wipe.  I probably looked like an idiot to anyone who walked by my office!

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #18,426 of 27,158
Welcome to the Big Thread, pelltj03. Sounds like you've already had your baptism-by-Fostex. Of course I would never dare suggest that a phone with the fame and popularity of the HD 650 be kicked aside for a mere T40; still, I'm very glad you're enjoying it so much and got a killer deal on it besides. Headphones like the Fostex are bound to start conversations in a typical office. If anyone says something particularly witty, pass it along.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #18,428 of 27,158

Quote:
DAC,
How do the old Magnat and Grundig GHDS224 compare to the Audeze?

Interesting that you would ask that now that I just finished an ear pad repair on the Magnat 
smily_headphones1.gif

The stock PMB pads as usual had no pleater, and the foam is very thin and poorly cut. I have added lambskin leather and new foam (nothing much left of the old pads then actually.)
Apart from that, the Magnat is stock - nothing inside except for the drivers - fully open back with a wire mesh screen and also vents on back edges of the cup

- And of course the famous bass cancellation vents, that basically suspends the driver in air in the middle of cups and pads.

It does not have that deep thunderous bass as the Audeze (LCD2) has.

But as expected, with the driver-in-air suspension, the Magnat has a very open spacious sound, and instruments sound spot-on to me. In fact, some instruments that go a soft 'tick' and some that go 'bing' sounds more on the level on the Magnat than on the LCD2, on some songs. (The Audeze sometimes plays those sounds too softly -  they disappear in the mix.)

In short - it sounds great 
biggrin.gif

(but a warning is in order - the next Magnat that appears could have a different driver and sound nothing like this one...)

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #18,429 of 27,158
Thanks!  I think each probably has it's place for sure.  With a bit more listening of the 650 I'm sure I'll start digging it too.  I just can't get over how good the t40's sound for considering they are from the 90's and in my case were pretty much in a junk bin!

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #18,430 of 27,158

Quote:
Thanks!  I think each probably has it's place for sure.  With a bit more listening of the 650 I'm sure I'll start digging it too.  I just can't get over how good the t40's sound for considering they are from the 90's and in my case were pretty much in a junk bin!

That mirrors what I have been thinking for some time here...
... (don't expect too much of your 650 though....)

Considering that the Magnat I have here must be at least 30 years old... what happened to progress? Aren't things supposed to actually be a bit better after 30 years?
( This is the best sounding PMB-oem I have heard so far (also having the best headset design)... but still .... it's 30 years old....)

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #18,432 of 27,158
I'm an idiot ( go ahead I don't mind ) For a while I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong with the SFI Alder Woodies I put together. I recabled them while back inside them to repair a broken wire even. Turns out I had thought , well didn't realize, that 3/32 was NOT in fact ;larger than 1/8 inch.  uuuuuhh. I decided to drill out the ports while they were completely back together, luckily didn't swirl any wires down the drill bit. Sweat was starting.
 The minor difference between the two holes made a major difference, and i'd have to agree as previously stated in here it's the sweet spot for a port in a small enclosure.

Another thing I honestly think that all this modding especially in rapid succession is one of the few ways to really get the so-called golden ears tuned up to a decent level. I sort of understand that now. Doubtful I would be able to have managed that simply swapping cans over a period of time. I could even tell the difference when there was a disc of fairly transparent open cell motherboard  foam inside a certain combo.  Fun and infuritating at times. 3 cans finalized within 2 weeks and about 15 or so combinations per. Some more. No more dreams about them I hope now.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #18,433 of 27,158
Taking a good solid listen to my first Ortho's - stock T50RP's that just arrived yesterday (thanks Full Compass). 

Liking the stock sound so far - a few minor peaks, but no major wonkiness (nothing a little eq can't fix). More bass than I expected. I think I'll put in a little time with them before I consider modding (either DIY, or sending to Smeggy).

Thanks all of you for your shared wisdom and suggestions archived here for those of us new to this world. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #18,434 of 27,158

Quote:
Considering that the Magnat I have here must be at least 30 years old... what happened to progress? Aren't things supposed to actually be a bit better after 30 years?
( This is the best sounding PMB-oem I have heard so far (also having the best headset design)... but still .... it's 30 years old....)

Yeah.... I've got the LCD-3's here still and my YH3 are not far behind.  In fact...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #18,435 of 27,158
I would like to collect experiences about Wharfedale ID1 modding and comparisons.
I know that Smeggy ended up not changing anything and myself have tried to improve them with no avail.
Sachu tried them closed in the zebraphone but it is not clear how they compared with  stock.
Also I know somebdy else modded them extensively.
I've a bunch of orthos including the LCDR2 now but I keep liking better the ID1 as I couldn't fin anything so far beating their extension, musicality and detail (you can clearly ear all the space and harmonic of the last bit of a low key on a Stainway. Try that with Audeze and you will feel it is dead).
I'm also interest in comparisons with stats. For example, smeggy, how would you compare the ID1 with the Stax 003 or the other stax you have (e.g. 404)?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back