Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #16,681 of 27,156
Well, we got all kindsa tricks to kill bass, so no worries there.

I really like RD's idea to kidnap Tyll and his Van O' Gear to track modding progress on, say, a T50RP or even a T40v1 or T20v2. So far we've been getting along with doing everything by ear which is fine as far as it goes, but as expectations rise, this becomes frustrating. It'd be nice to have some measurement gear to nail your progress down and make sure you don't drift backwards into the bay.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #16,683 of 27,156
I found some pads that seem promising especially for the price.  The TurtleBeach HPA2 earpad.  It's cloth, but it's not a very thick pad so the driver sits close to the ear and it actually works, there's no echoing (as in K240 pads) and it maintains bass response.  It sounds similar to the SA5000 pads to me, brighter with less bass than the O2 pads.  They fit the T20v1 perfectly, though it's a bit tight.  I haven't tried them on the V2 yet nor have I decided if I like the flavor but it's cool to see a cloth pad that may work for orthos and they only cost 2 dollars each.  http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/pc-gaming-headsets/ear-force-hpa2/livetabid/5733.aspx

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #16,684 of 27,156

Quote:
Well, you were the one who said that the T20v2 was more bassy and less detailed than the T50RP I think...less technologically advanced, but more PRaTty?

More bassy, anyway. And yes, it's less advanced in magnet material and in analysis of diaphragm motion.

Quote:
I found some pads that seem promising especially for the price.  The TurtleBeach HPA2 earpad.  It's cool to see a cloth pad that may work for orthos and they only cost 2 dollars each.  

That does look good. Gotta git me a pair.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #16,685 of 27,156
Lee, the good thing about a T20v2 is that it sounds very natural and musical, and you don't end up in a constant modding and perfectioning struggle as with the new T50. Sure it's technologically not the most advanced PRaT and resolution monster out there, but more suitable for sheer usage, as it's simply fun, in almost every thinkable modding stage.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #16,686 of 27,156
Well, I'm only happy after I've squeezed every last drop of performance out of my gear...so the T20v2 will get the whole shebang treatment too. I also like to listen to my gear as much as to the music, and the T50RP has been blowing me away ever since I've heard it....I'd say that Fostex's R&D is very much audible
ayuluna.gif

But nevertheless, the T20v2 will be great to try because both the top and bottom vents are opened, and I can't stand neither over-the-ear designs or dual entry headphones...so if I wanna keep on trying orthos, I'm pretty much SOL. It'll be great to have two phones modded more or less identically(akasa foam/angled sa5k earpads) if the latter doesn't lack too much performance-wise compared to the holy T50RP.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #16,688 of 27,156

Quote:
Well, I'm only happy after I've squeezed every last drop of performance out of my gear...so the T20v2 will get the whole shebang treatment too. I also like to listen to my gear as much as to the music, and the T50RP has been blowing me away ever since I've heard it....I'd say that Fostex's R&D is very much audible
ayuluna.gif

But nevertheless, the T20v2 will be great to try because both the top and bottom vents are opened, and I can't stand neither over-the-ear designs or dual entry headphones...so if I wanna keep on trying orthos, I'm pretty much SOL. It'll be great to have two phones modded more or less identically(akasa foam/angled sa5k earpads) if the latter doesn't lack too much performance-wise compared to the holy T50RP.

SA5K or T50RP pads don't work on the T20v2. In fact, IMO no other pads with bigger inner diameter work here, but that I do know that isn't the general consensus here.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #16,690 of 27,156

Quote:
What's the outer diameter of the HPA2 earpad? Four bucks a pair is a good price for something to experiment with.

Stretched over the T20v1 fairly tightly it's 4" but the lip of the pad is extending out past the actual pad a bit all around because it's stretched on there.  The diameter of the pad itself is 3-5/8".  So it's not that big in diameter, and it's only about 1/2" thick.  I listened to it briefly again and it actually doesn't have much bass and it's a bit bright for me with my current damping, but it doesn't have huge problems like the K240 pads did.  Since many of you guys use refex dots I imagine it could be dampened to sound right.  And I bet covered in leather it would be good. 

Shipping cost me 9 dollars unfortunately but I did get 3 pairs of different pads from them to check out.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #16,691 of 27,156

Quote:
rhythmdevils is using the sa5k earpads on the T20v2 AFAIK...and the stock earpads look really low grade, I'll need a backup plan either way.

I haven't tried that yet based on my test on the T20v1 I thought the SA5k pads sounded similar enough to the stock T50rp pads that I didn't try it but I should give it a shot.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #16,692 of 27,156

I haven't tried that yet based on my test on the T20v1 I thought the SA5k pads sounded similar enough to the stock T50rp pads that I didn't try it but I should give it a shot.

Oh yah, please do. And you seem to have quite a Fostex fetish, is the T20v2 in your top 3 or so? the more vintage Fostexen seem impossible to source.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #16,693 of 27,156

Quote:

Oh yah, please do. And you seem to have quite a Fostex fetish, is the T20v2 in your top 3 or so? the more vintage Fostexen seem impossible to source.

LOL!  Then I have a Fostexen disease.  Kenwood KH-83s, T20v1s, T20v2s, TPs, and the RP18s.  I sold off my stock T50RPs, a set of T10s, and T40s. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #16,694 of 27,156
***looks up the Kenwood***   Ah, a T10 clone...

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #16,695 of 27,156

Quote:
***looks up the Kenwood***   Ah, a T10 clone...

Not a clone.  It's an improved T10.  Fostex T10 drivers in a bigger, more vented cup with larger pads on a significantly more comfortable headband.  Also a wee bit more rare too. 
wink.gif
  I'm aware of three pairs among H-Fi'ers. 

Then I modded the T10 magnets to use T20v2 diaphragms to salvage them since the stock T10 diaphragms were shot (well, I had two bad diaphragms among the KH-83s and two other T10s, so I made two good sets of T10s and sold them, then modded mine). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back