Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #16,651 of 27,163
A wise man once said (I forget who and where...), "I never saw a live performance and thought, 'this band has no bass and a 8kHz treble spike.'"

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #16,653 of 27,163
^Which is why I wanna get the HE-4 as my 'ortho'.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #16,656 of 27,163
Yes real life has bass, and electrostatics have bass, at what seems to me to be the same level and variety. I live with a violinist and a drummer, I play guitar, I've grown up around the piano which my mum and brother both play. I'm very used to hearing real acoustic instruments in my immediate space and I think electrostatics do them best. We all know what the human voice sounds like, and again, I do believe stats pull it off the best.

At the same time, music made to be played in clubs was always intended to be played through a huge sound system with dominating sub and mid bass, so it makes perfect sense if that is your number one genre, stats are not going to cut it. Ultimately this is why I love headphones - the choice of variety. I have my Ultrasones portably and now the YamaLux HP-1 at home for music made for the V-shaped response with the big, physical bass, I have my stats and my phonak IEMs for acoustic and vocal music, singer song writer stuff and jazz and blues and music that sounds better with a natural, real life frequency response.

With headphones, we can have as many options as we want. But my initial statement stands - stats have bass - as much as bass as real life has. And if there is huge, overwhelming bass actually recorded on a track - you will hear it on the stat as well. It just wont be there if the producer didn't put it there.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #16,657 of 27,163
To be honest, I never cared much how music "ought" to sound. It is similar to a cooking recipe, when they've written, 1 teaspoon of pepper, I regard that as suggestion and may prefer only a half teaspoon (or two of them).

Getting back to music, "livelike" isn't to be applied with most of the stuff I listen to, and even earlier in my Pink Floyd youngster phase, I always preferred the cleanly recorded versions to the jammed live ones. I've consequently started here as basshead, but went away from that soon. But actually, it looks like I head towards some compromise, music mustn't always sound thin and audiophile. But I still hate bass monsters like the D7000 or the Pro900.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #16,658 of 27,163
[size=x-small]No music "needs" to sound realistic if you don't want it to, and certainly there is no notion of what "realistic" even is when we discuss electric instruments and wholesale electronic music. I like acoustic instruments to sound close to what they would sound like in a room, but of course that is just a matter of taste.[/size]

[size=x-small]I do feel though that human vocals are one area where, if you have a lot of music featuring them, some level of realism is important.[/size]

[size=x-small]Boosting the mid-bass might make a dance track sound more vibrant and exciting. It might also make a heart breaking female vocalist sound like the warbling of a stubbly transvestite. [/size]

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #16,659 of 27,163
Yes, human voice has its own issues HP-wize. A can that makes David sylvian sound great is horrible for Kate Bush, and vice versa. Female voice is Audiotechnica's market niche, and David Sylvian sounds like a castrato with a W1000
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #16,660 of 27,163
Quote:
Yes real life has bass, and electrostatics have bass, at what seems to me to be the same level and variety. I live with a violinist and a drummer, I play guitar, I've grown up around the piano which my mum and brother both play. I'm very used to hearing real acoustic instruments in my immediate space and I think electrostatics do them best. We all know what the human voice sounds like, and again, I do believe stats pull it off the best.

At the same time, music made to be played in clubs was always intended to be played through a huge sound system with dominating sub and mid bass, so it makes perfect sense if that is your number one genre, stats are not going to cut it. Ultimately this is why I love headphones - the choice of variety. I have my Ultrasones portably and now the YamaLux HP-1 at home for music made for the V-shaped response with the big, physical bass, I have my stats and my phonak IEMs for acoustic and vocal music, singer song writer stuff and jazz and blues and music that sounds better with a natural, real life frequency response.

With headphones, we can have as many options as we want. But my initial statement stands - stats have bass - as much as bass as real life has. And if there is huge, overwhelming bass actually recorded on a track - you will hear it on the stat as well. It just wont be there if the producer didn't put it there.

I don't doubt that some of them can sound right, but they don't feel right.  That's the trade-off you have to make with headphones.

Quote:
To be honest, I never cared much how music "ought" to sound. It is similar to a cooking recipe, when they've written, 1 teaspoon of pepper, I regard that as suggestion and may prefer only a half teaspoon (or two of them).

Getting back to music, "livelike" isn't to be applied with most of the stuff I listen to, and even earlier in my Pink Floyd youngster phase, I always preferred the cleanly recorded versions to the jammed live ones. I've consequently started here as basshead, but went away from that soon. But actually, it looks like I head towards some compromise, music mustn't always sound thin and audiophile. But I still hate bass monsters like the D7000 or the Pro900.

I've never heard the Pro 900s, but the D7000s aren't within a mile of being "bass monsters"  They've just got a slight smile curve.  I own a pair of actual bass monsters, the XB700s.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #16,662 of 27,163

Quote:
I've introduced the RP18 to my buddy NoXter and I've never experienced him that impressed before. He just grinned and stated, damn, I have a problem now. We also found an "intermediate" pad combination to bridge the time until the W11 pads arrive, taped TD770 pads actually sound nice, and the look and wear feel is also very positive. Still no PRaT monster, but the overwhelming slowness feeling has almost completely gone. Must have been partly a brain thing due to that overwhelming deep bass with the T20 pads.

Having NoXter's extra pair of hands available, I opened one system to try to get rid of the deep bass buzz, and it worked well. Now the bad news: The other side (which also has some ksssss issues) has been glued together by one former owner. No I've got to decide if I tolerate that buzz or if I rather try some more "robust" and dangerous methods to open that system.
frown.gif

Quote:
I'm afraid a pic wouldn't help here, because there's nothing to be seen from outside. It's just that the driver components stick togeter like hell on 80% of their outer sealing area, and if you try to widen the small gap on the unglued part, things don't give in at all. I think they would rather break, must be superglue or epoxy that had been used. I think the reason the driver halfs got glued was that one of the 4 screws had lost most of its winding. Not an entirely competent solution...

I think the only possibility to get through to the diaphragm would be using the mini dremel circular saw, but umhhh...I'm rather of the self confident sort with such things, but in this case I rather tend to keep it untouched actually, as no spare parts are available when I destroy something. The diaphragm's copper side areas are frightening close to the region where "housing violence" was to be applied in the repair case.

Dependent from the dirt's actual position, the buzz only occurs seldom, only songs with deep humming bass lines w/o percussion, but that one is quite unlistenable then. The buzz can be triggered to go away or become stronger by means of strong acceleration (drum heavy songs, or knocking against the driver). Blowing in the system also triggers change, but is complicated as so much is to be ribbed apart at the front side.

there i said this again, try to open the capsules driver from chrome baffle and clean the dirt that trap onto the kapton...
maybe it's not the same as dissassemble the whole driver to see the inside, but better than nothing, right ?
you still can set em back to the baffles and re-sealing the gap with blutak (for example) to see if the buzz issues had still there or fixed though...

Quote:

My favorite posts about the Kapton NAD concern people wanting it because it needs them. Which it does. And the Mylar ones don't. I know the feeling. I used to work on bicycles, and there was always a strongly satisfying sense of the bicycle needing human attention to work the way it was intended. It's nice to be needed.

indeed...
popcorn.gif

Quote:
BLUETACK IS BACK!!!

I seem to have very little time these days, and never got around to fixing the broken joint on my TDS15 frame. So last night decided to bring back my Ghetto-Fi ortho projects as a temporary solution. I know you guys have missed my awesome use of bluetack :p .
Im using SR-30 baffles as cups just to hold the frame, it also gives it good clamp without being uncomfy (=good bass).

ahaaa, another arts from copy-blutak-ninja Kabeer...
beerchug.gif

hmmm, i should do some experiments again with my old SFI's...

Quote:
Yes, its a shame, but it's at least partially something you can be proud of. And I swear, no Audeze and Hifiman w/o this thread and its fantastillion silent subscribers and collectors.

words !
wink.gif

Quote:
To test all this "live" vs "recorded" talk, I have made this recording of one of my headphones. It turns out just as a shadow of the real thing though.

lol
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #16,663 of 27,163

Quote:
there i said this again, try to open the capsules driver from chrome baffle and clean the dirt that trap onto the kapton...
maybe it's not the same as dissassemble the whole driver to see the inside, but better than nothing, right ?
you still can set em back to the baffles and re-sealing the gap with blutak (for example) to see if the buzz issues had still there or fixed though...

I did that already a few days ago (I'm not the coward type), didn't show much effect. RD's idea worked better...partly, the buzz comes and goes, depending from mood, humidity, star constellations and wualta's degree of esteem. I will live with that, I don't have to use the NADs for ambient stuff when they can't be bothered on that very day. I just listen to something more drum heavy, or I take another HP.
cool.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #16,664 of 27,163

Quote:
To test all this "live" vs "recorded" talk, I have made this recording of one of my headphones. It turns out just as a shadow of the real thing though.

You need to upgrade amplification, source and cabling.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back