Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #16,666 of 27,156

Quote:
I did that already a few days ago (I'm not the coward type), didn't show much effect. RD's idea worked better...partly, the buzz comes and goes, depending from mood, humidity, star constellations and wualta's degree of esteem. I will live with that, I don't have to use the NADs for ambient stuff when they can't be bothered on that very day. I just listen to something more drum heavy, or I take another HP.
cool.gif

sorry but i never said or mention you dont have the guts to do that either...
i'm just remind here, just in case you haven't try to clean the dirt from the bottom side, that's all..
well, too bad you havn't solve the issues...atleast you still had another HP as a compliment to your kapton NAD..
enjoy & keep sharing !
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #16,667 of 27,156
Nickchen, it's beginning to sound like an iffy electrical connection (assuming there's no visible mechanical damage). Could be corrosion, could even be a hairline crack in the voice coil. Honest, I'm sending the strongest possible esteem waves to your Kapton NAD. Long-wave, of course.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #16,668 of 27,156
** looks up iffy **  
biggrin.gif

Ah yes, well, Boilermakerfan had similar aprehensions already. As long as it goes on playing fine 99% of the time, that is allright for me.

And I bet even in the worst case, system dead, it would be possible to dig out some nerd who is able to reconstruct the coil region in question. Or to do so on my own - propably weight class copper paste, loupe, nail polish etc.  I also have a strong USB Microscope (which was of great use to contol the medication's effectivity when they had a bug invasion at my son's school BTW), I bet it would be ideal to examine damaged ortho diaphragms.
cool.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #16,669 of 27,156

Quote:
Bass is something we sense physically; Good bass from a live performance or stereo is something you feel in your chest and legs as much as hear in your ears. It doesn't have to be overwhelmingly loud for this to be true, either.

People who like their gut-punching bass aren't always happy with taut, well-balanced bass on headphones, because it lacks the physicality they associate with their favorite music, whether it's club electronica, or rock, or even what you can get from sitting in a good seat at an orchestral performance. You can get some of the effect back on headphones by exaggerating the bass, because if it makes your head rattle a little, the physicality is back even if it's affecting a different part of the body than usual, but it's at the penalty of making the bass louder than the other instruments.

Headphones are (in broad terms) more detailed than speaker systems, and planars are more detailed than dynamics, so planar phones reproduce certain aspects of a performance that are harder to retrieve through speakers. But the speakers can give the bass more visceral presence, and (in broad terms) replicate the acoustic space better than headphones. Those are the compromises.

I like the HE-6 and its bass is wonderful, but I don't get the pleasurable sense of bass from them I get from the relatively cheap, old bookshelf speakers I use as nearfield monitors. The HE-6 has more extension - they go audibly lower - but the speakers are more rockin', even without having to go loud.

Well said.  Just as reproducers vary, so do venues.  Outdoor venues can't produce bass like indoor venues and smaller indoor venues will always have tighter bass than larger ones.   The best bass I've ever experienced was at a Yes concert shortly after the put a roof on the Gibson (Universal) amphitheater.  I was feeling the bass impact all the way to my kidneys and at the same time it was incredibly tight without the least bit of flabbiness.  I guess you could call it precise.  It's no surprise considering Chris Squire's playing lead bass most of the time, so muddy just wouldn't do.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #16,670 of 27,156
Wow! That reminds me of a Milton Nascimento concert I went to at London Festival Hall. The Bass was so strong I had to leave as I got dizzy! I'm sure it was messing with my brainwaves or my stomach....or BOTH!
(I DID go back in later.....he's amazing in concert)

Quote:
Well said.  Just as reproducers vary, so do venues.  Outdoor venues can't produce bass like indoor venues and smaller indoor venues will always have tighter bass than larger ones.   The best bass I've ever experienced was at a Yes concert shortly after the put a roof on the Gibson (Universal) amphitheater.  I was feeling the bass impact all the way to my kidneys and at the same time it was incredibly tight without the least bit of flabbiness.  I guess you could call it precise.  It's no surprise considering Chris Squire's playing lead bass most of the time, so muddy just wouldn't do.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #16,671 of 27,156

Quote:
A wise man once said (I forget who and where...), "I never saw a live performance and thought, 'this band has no bass and a 8kHz treble spike.'"

Well, I've seen a band perform live and thought "Someone needs to shoot their sound guy. Preferably in the back. They have no bass, spikes at 100hz and 6khz, and he can't stop fiddling with the mic levels"

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #16,672 of 27,156
^
biggrin.gif

On a different note, it would be cool if someone like Tyll took measurements of the same ortho headphone with multiple damping schemes including stock.  It would be interesting to see how much the measured frequency response, square wave etc (those are the only 2 I know how to read) change.  I guess this has been done a bit with the Thunderpants, but there are other factors there like the wood enclosure. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #16,673 of 27,156
Quote:
Well, I've seen a band perform live and thought "Someone needs to shoot their sound guy. Preferably in the back. They have no bass, spikes at 100hz and 6khz, and he can't stop fiddling with the mic levels"

I suppose bad mixing can mess anything up.  I could add some caveats, but the general point still holds, especially for acoustic instruments where there isn't any mic-ing, amping, or mixing, unless its a really large venue.  The interesting thing is that you've just equated bad mixing to the standard "audiophile" sound signature.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #16,674 of 27,156

Quote:
haha yes I am very much in favor of film analogies.  There is no comparison between large format film and 35mm.  Although there are things you can do with 35mm like run around Afghanistan dodging bombs and shooting handheld that you can't ever do with bigger film and which make the loss of image quality less of an issue.  

Weegee did a pretty good job with his Speed Graphic  http://www.amber-online.com/exhibitions/weegee-collection

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #16,675 of 27,156

Quote:
I suppose bad mixing can mess anything up.  I could add some caveats, but the general point still holds, especially for acoustic instruments where there isn't any mic-ing, amping, or mixing, unless its a really large venue.  The interesting thing is that you've just equated bad mixing to the standard "audiophile" sound signature.

They were pretty tall spikes. Like two sore thumbs.

A friend of mine claims to have developed the Worlds Greatest Acoustic Guitar Amp, to No Acclaim What So Ever, specifically to get around the problem of idiot sound guys. He can do the whole room out of the one box.

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #16,676 of 27,156
Sounds cool.  Does it work as advertised?

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #16,677 of 27,156

Quote:
Sounds cool.  Does it work as advertised?

I haven't personally heard it, but he says the comments he receives after gigs are often along the lines of "I was way in the back and it sounded like i was in the front row!" or "It didn't sound loud, it just sounded like music!" - which is what he was going for.

Basically it's (iirc) a 3-way speaker w/ cabinet and crossover designed by him, fitted in a sturdy cabinet with a nice preamp and a 300w class-D monoblock.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #16,678 of 27,156

it would be cool if someone like Tyll took measurements of the same ortho headphone with multiple damping schemes including stock.  It would be interesting to see how much the measured frequency response, square wave etc (those are the only 2 I know how to read) change.  I guess this has been done a bit with the Thunderpants, but there are other factors there like the wood enclosure. 

I posted a link of a japanese blog a while back that was showing the drastic FR diff. between a stock T40RP(non-MKII) and the same one w/ a thick disc of felt in the cups...huge change!

Anyway, thanks for the hookup as I've got one of those T20v2 on my way 
loweak.gif
I can't see any place to put newplast, but I'll definitely fill the cups w/ akasa(apart from the vents). I don't think I'll like it as much as the T50RP(that sounds so detailed and soooo amazing), but ya never know
blabla%20-%20divers.gif

The T50RP is an upgraditis monster IME, whatever you'll improve in your rig will always becomes dead audible....better earpads, better DAC, better amping, better recordings...you will be assimilated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back