Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #16,711 of 27,156
Hi all. I just got one 50rp today. I am listening to it. Compared to my sr001 stax, i feel this can offers incredible value. not even modded, but some stat-like some really caught me. I have a few things to share:
1. damping factor from the amp may not have much impact on the orthos, am I right?
2. I will one try to lightly damp the headphone, just stuffing some cotton  balls. will see what happens. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #16,712 of 27,156

Quote:
Hi all. I just got one 50rp today. I am listening to it. Compared to my sr001 stax, i feel this can offers incredible value. not even modded, but some stat-like some really caught me. I have a few things to share:
1. damping factor from the amp may not have much impact on the orthos, am I right?
2. I will one try to lightly damp the headphone, just stuffing some cotton  balls. will see what happens. 

I agree, amplifier damping factor is not important when driving Orthos, but current delivery capability is.  The two capabilities usually go hand in hand, so an amp with a high damping factor can usually deliver current more effectively to the headphone than one with a poor damping factor.

Why do you want to acoustically damp the headphone?  What are you trying to change?

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #16,713 of 27,156
just got a T20v2 in the mail....humm, where do I start? Everything I love in the T50RP just isn't there. The mids are wonky, the low end bass is AWOL, the earpads are not circumaural, there's a major lack of resolution...yay, it completely cripples my rig....I get the feeling to be listening to a $10 phone off an ipod. How someone can prefer this to a fully pimped T50RP leaves me confused...we do all hear differently. Even for $10 I wouldn't buy this thing, it sounds like a cheap studio phone, which it technically is.

And it takes a damn miracle to have sound in the right channel, Fostex did the same mistake on the T50RP...smells likes sabotage.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #16,714 of 27,156
If you don't like it, I have lots of buddies here in my kraut vincinity who would like to have one exemplar of their own...
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #16,716 of 27,156
Did so.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #16,717 of 27,156
I wonder how well they'd do in a different enclosure with some good damping?

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #16,718 of 27,156
Well, the magnets clearly aren't as strong as in the T50RP: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fostex_T20RP_v2

"Maximum sound pressure level: 119dB"

The T50RP's max SPL is 133dB, and I have yet to hear anything <200Hz out of that T20V2...it's a shrill mid-centric phone to my ears. There's no potential to be exploited as far as I can tell....I can easily understand rhythmdevil's frustation, and that this would appeal to Grado lovers. It sounds rather similar to the MS1i AFAICR.

Kick drums are chest pounding on my pimped T50RP, like in the intro of that tune: http://www.google.com/search?q=Ed+Rush+Book+Of+Sight&tbm=vid

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #16,719 of 27,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have yet to hear anything <200Hz out of that T20V2...it's a shrill mid-centric phone to my ears.

Hm...maybe a semi-defective pair, they are normally quite dark and very (deep) bass heavy stock...that would be nothing worth selling & buying...

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #16,720 of 27,156
Well, T50RP is the prince of darkness...I've got pretty big ears and the earpads are not circumaural, that might very well be the problem. Never been a fan of over-the-ear designs...anyway, it'll end up in the classified later today and hopefully find itself a new home.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #16,721 of 27,156
Wow, we all definitely hear different things...  In the same page the T50RPs are compared favorably to SR-001s and above the T20v2s.  Wow, just wow. 

Personally, I think you guys both managed to get golden sets of T50RPs.  The three stock pairs I had all lacked any significant bass or highs compared to the T20v2s or the SR-001s.  Now the TPs are a different story, but to my ears, the stock T50RPs were the sets not worth keeping and modding in stock housings. 

Leeperry, I think there is something off about your set of T20v2s.  Your description definitely doesn't match the 7 or 8 pairs of them I've had here at the house. 

I love my vintage orthos, however the SR-001s are leaps and bounds better overall than either the T20v2 or the T50RPs, but the stock amp lacks enough gain from iPods/MP3 players to really do them justice and they take a long time to dial in in the ears with the stock tips and headband.  They also need a strong 2V source to get the full potential out of them and then there is room to improve them from there... 

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #16,723 of 27,156

Wow, we all definitely hear different things...  In the same page the T50RPs are compared favorably to SR-001s and above the T20v2s.  Wow, just wow. 

Personally, I think you guys both managed to get golden sets of T50RPs.

Well, you might have a point here...I wasn't too impressed by the laid back sound of my stock T50RP...but once fully damped and using premium earpads, it sounds unbelievable \o/

My T20v2 is stock, and was never meant to be a top rocker AFAIK....Facts are that:
-I know someone who simultaneously owned all the top dynamics(hd800/t1/k1k/cd3k/d7k/etc) and he said that his two favs. were the k1k & cd3k by far.
-the cd3k sounds like a pair of ibuds compared to my T50RP...edgy/bright and thin sounding.

I might spend forever trying to make this T20v2 sing, but it'll never reach the amazing sound of the T50RP drivers IMHO...if anyone feels up to the task, it's up for grabs. I still rest my case that it sounds similar to the MS1i AFAIR.

There used to be a very instructive page about the T50RP on the japanese Fostex site, but it's a 404 now...I've captured it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?27138810cbs5cye
This is all very audible...this phone has been like an epiphany for me
albanel%20facepalm.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #16,724 of 27,156

Quote:

-the cd3k sounds like a pair of ibuds compared to my T50RP...edgy/bright and thin sounding.

You've written that many times before in order to demonstrate your love for the T50RP, however, wasn't it the CD1000 that you owned previously? I always found that silent relabelling a bit peculiar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back