Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,022 of 5,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG link

I'm interested in picking the HA-1 for my hd800's running balanced. Anyone here with thoughts on the pairing?

thanks...

That's my setup. I have the 800s connected with a moon audio balanced cable. I really enjoy it. Gets plenty loud on normal gain and the audio quality is great.

+1 but i prefer to use high gain

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,024 of 5,414
I'm interested in picking the HA-1 for my hd800's running balanced. Anyone here with thoughts on the pairing?

thanks...

It's one of the few SS amps that do the hd800 well.
Not only me and two others before me, and the poster before you stated that the HA-1 & Hd800 combo works great together, but the last two reviews also state the excellent soundstaging this unit can deliver.
It is what made me keep my hd800 and no longer feel the hd800 sounding exaggerated because it finally has an amp that can fill that space with actual sonic information.
My hd800 are now musical instead of analytical.

One MORE Point:
That last review states this unit having some of the best measurements tested.
For example they stated the jitter was only matched by the Nad51 dac(!)
It's about time a review shows just how good this unit is..

To me it gets you close enough to touch the elusive feel of "end-game" performance.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,025 of 5,414
I'm also looking at the HA-1 for the TH-900's.  I'm concerned that the (nominal) 25 ohm impedance spec for the TH-900's falls below the recommended value of 30 ohm for the HA-1.  I read in a Benchmark article that running below the spec can possible degrade the performance of the amp or even damage it (depending on the amp).  I asked Oppo about this, and got the following prompt reply:

"The HA-1 will work lower impedance headphones, but there is a higher chance that you will be able to hear errors such as the Noise-Floor being amplified due to too much power being sent to these headphones and the low resistance/impedance of the headphones. We have seen this with IEMs which are 12Ohm, and on very sensitive 32Ohm headphones.  Damage to the headphone amplifier will not occur, but you just might hear a low level amount of noise between music passages when using the Fostex to the HA-1."

Are any of you hearing this "low level amount of noise" with this combo?  Would this be a bad combo for someone who likes/needs to listen at lower volume levels?  Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

I have the Fostex th600 here, which I believe is a more (or similar) demanding test...
Specs:
Impedance: 25ohm
Sensitivity: 94dB mW
Maximum Input: 1,800 mW

At high gain on the HA-1 upon reaching the halfway on the volume (about-13db)
It is already at ear bleed loudness levels that I cannot tolerate for long.
This is the 1/8 headphone out, not the balanced xlr. .
Now I pause the music on foobar2k and turn volume to maximum to see what I hear.. .
Listening. .
Straining..
Nothing. .
Not the slightest tiny bit of sound.
Zero "low level" noise detected. .

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #1,027 of 5,414
  I'm also looking at the HA-1 for the TH-900's.  I'm concerned that the (nominal) 25 ohm impedance spec for the TH-900's falls below the recommended value of 30 ohm for the HA-1.

---

Are any of you hearing this "low level amount of noise" with this combo?

TH 900s work just fine with HA-1, no problems with noise floor, distortion, etc.  Volume does ramp up quickly, leave it on low gain.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,028 of 5,414
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #1,029 of 5,414
Nope. You can't use any kind of storage on the front port.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haha I never owned an iPhone or ipod as it always struck me as a girls toy.
It is not manly..
Android is superior and manly to me..
That's why I don't have the ease of use that iPhone/ipod users have
frown.gif

Thanks for clarification.
It's not ipod only then..
I used to own the PM1..
tongue.gif

The LCD2 is audibly superior to the PM1 .. To me.
Sorry to burst your bubble.
tongue.gif

I have the lcd xc into a 105 that sounds excellent. I was going the get the HA-1 until the front port issue came up. the front port on my 105 plays my tablet, thumb drives, whatever. maybe the HA-2 will be more accomodating. ( Is Oppo reading this?
atsmile.gif
)

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,031 of 5,414
But then again I loaded my high rez recordings along side the cd's already there and it took up half the space of the measly 64gb storage on the tablet. Maybe a laptop is in my future after all. That AND the HA-1 will by expensive tho'.
frown.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #1,032 of 5,414
But then again I loaded my high rez recordings along side the cd's already there and it took up half the space of the measly 64gb storage on the tablet. Maybe a laptop is in my future after all. That AND the HA-1 will by expensive tho'.
frown.gif

Oppo addressed the storage issue in this thread actually. They said something like - they optimized the ha-1 for its most likely uses. The front port will work with apple phones and tablets and Oppo also clarified that it should work with android devices that support OTG as long as you buy the right cable. Flash drives, SD cards and external hard drives are the things that won't work. Not too bad considering all the other inputs this thing has.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,033 of 5,414
I have the lcd xc into a 105 that sounds excellent. I was going the get the HA-1 until the front port issue came up. the front port on my 105 plays my tablet, thumb drives, whatever. maybe the HA-2 will be more accomodating. ( Is Oppo reading this? :atsmile: )

If you've already have the 105, just continue to use it as your source. Chain it to the HA-1... You'll have one amazing setup without the need for an OS or Media player getting in your way!

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #1,035 of 5,414
AFAIK, the HA-1 was never intended to be a media player like their BD players, only a DAC/amp.  Source playback comes from somewhere else.  

I have an Oppo BDP-83 player, and the media interface uses an video-out-based on-screen display.  Since the HA-1 has no video out circuitry, putting media playback would necessitate using the LCD display on the unit as the on-screen display.  Odd, but maybe it could be done via a firmware update?  Even if they did, though, it lacks the networking capability to make it a fully-functional dedicated media player.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back