Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #991 of 5,414
Hi new member.

I am new to cans, however an old hag to HT and stereo. :D

I recently purchase the Oppo HA-1 and Senny HD700's to get me in the cans game.

I'm absolutely loving the Senny / Oppo rig. It sounds very accurate. Great frequency range, tempo etc, etc.

Just on some music (jazz, blues) they sound too polite.:eek: I wanta roll of the treble and muddy up the midrange.

Would I add new cans or amp? or both?

I really like the pacing and rhythm of the HA-1 and that is something I would like to keep. So maybe the amp does not need any change. Maybe just get another set of cans?

From what I have read this screams Grado or HiFiMan cans. Everyone talks about treble being rolled off on Grado's.

Maybe I don't get a tube amp and another set of cans. Maybe I pour my $$ into a top line of cans only???

What do you think?

Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread.

I think that Grado's have elevated treble, not rolled off.

Edit: I'm in love with my Audeze / HA-1 pairings.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #992 of 5,414

Okay excellent.

I thought the Grado's or wood cans would have a warmer sound.

I will research the Audeze.

If I wanted a dirtier muddy sound what would I do? Do I need a tube amp?

I like the Oppo HA-1 and Senny rig for just about everything. Just jazz/ blues sound a bit off. To clean.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #993 of 5,414
  Hi new member.

I am new to cans, however an old hag to HT and stereo.
biggrin.gif

I'm absolutely loving the Senny / Oppo rig. It sounds very accurate. Great frequency range, tempo etc, etc.

Just on some music (jazz, blues) they sound too polite.
eek.gif
I wanta roll of the treble and muddy up the midrange.

I really like the pacing and rhythm of the HA-1 and that is something I would like to keep. So maybe the amp does not need any change. Maybe just get another set of cans?

From what I have read this screams Grado or HiFiMan cans. Everyone talks about treble being rolled off on Grado's.

Maybe I don't get a tube amp and another set of cans. Maybe I pour my $$ into a top line of cans only???

What do you think?

Like what the above poster said, Grados have elevated treble, not roll-off.

Maybe you can try Audeze LCD2 (if you can take the weight and clamp) or Oppo's own PM-1.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #994 of 5,414
I was just going to say PM-1. It should add precisely what Badas is looking for. Or wait for the PM-2 for much less money and you can get the PM-1 ear pads to 'roll' the sound.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #995 of 5,414

Okay excellent.

I thought the Grado's or wood cans would have a warmer sound.

I will research the Audeze.

If I wanted a dirtier muddy sound what would I do? Do I need a tube amp?

I like the Oppo HA-1 and Senny rig for just about everything. Just jazz/ blues sound a bit off. To clean.

Hi new member.

I am new to cans, however an old hag to HT and stereo. :D

Just on some music (jazz, blues) they sound too polite.:eek: I wanta roll of the treble and muddy up the midrange.

What do you think?

Maybe you can try Audeze LCD2 (if you can take the weight and clamp) or Oppo's own PM-1.

I was just going to say PM-1. It should add precisely what Badas is looking for. Or wait for the PM-2 for much less money and you can get the PM-1 ear pads to 'roll' the sound.

Another nod for PM-1 (or PM-2) would definitely be one to try. Sounds like it would be a good fit to the criteria.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #996 of 5,414

Okay. I will avoid doing that.

So don't look at the amp. Look at the cans would be better. I do like the look of the Audeze LCD2. I really would like a wood pair of cans as well. I would spring for that $$ if I didn't have to buy another amp.

Interesting idea. I'm a real Oppo fanboy. It might be too much tho. I have the HA-1 plus the headphone stand and two Oppo BDP-103D's under it.

I will put the Oppo's on my shortlist.

Could I pad out my Senny HD700's?

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #997 of 5,414
Okay. I will avoid doing that.

So don't look at the amp. Look at the cans would be better. I do like the look of the Audeze LCD2. I really would like a wood pair of cans as well. I would spring for that $$ if I didn't have to buy another amp.

Interesting idea. I'm a real Oppo fanboy. It might be too much tho. I have the HA-1 plus the headphone stand and two Oppo BDP-103D's under it.

I will put the Oppo's on my shortlist.

Could I pad out my Senny HD700's?

I haven't heard the PM-1 but from what I gather they are a brilliant match with the HA-1 (go figure).

I can say that the LCD-2 revision 2 (pre-Fazor model) sounds fantastic with the HA-1 when I want that thicker sound. All the details are there but the warmth of the sound is just heaven when the mood strikes.

Edit: PM-1 is at the top of my short list for my next set.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #998 of 5,414
I haven't heard the PM-1 but from what I gather they are a brilliant match with the HA-1 (go figure).

I can say that the LCD-2 revision 2 (pre-Fazor model) sounds fantastic with the HA-1 when I want that thicker sound. All the details are there but the warmth of the sound is just heaven when the mood strikes.

Edit: PM-1 is at the top of my short list for my next set.

Is there any reason why the PM-2 is $400 cheaper than the PM-1?

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #999 of 5,414
Is there any reason why the PM-2 is $400 cheaper than the PM-1?

There is a ton of info about this in the PM-1 thread, but basically less metal, more plastic and no leather or wood display case. The drivers are the same though.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,000 of 5,414
There is a ton of info about this in the PM-1 thread, but basically less metal, more plastic and no leather or wood display case. The drivers are the same though.

Okay. Knowing me I would rather the PM-1.

However at $1000+ price range I would rather the Audeze instead. I really want to try a wood can.
atsmile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,001 of 5,414
Okay. Knowing me I would rather the PM-1.

However at $1000+ price range I would rather the Audeze instead. I really want to try a wood can. :atsmile:  

Try asking in the PM-1 impressions thread. There are a lot of comparisons there with the LCD-2 and might help give you a baseline between the two.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #1,002 of 5,414
Originally Posted by Badas

Hi new member.

I am new to cans, however an old hag to HT and stereo.
biggrin.gif

Just on some music (jazz, blues) they sound too polite.
eek.gif
I wanta roll of the treble and muddy up the midrange.

What do you think?

I suggest you try the Sennheiser HD650

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,003 of 5,414

Most Android devices will not work on their own direct to the "Mobile" from USB port. Unless the Android device manufacturer purposefully makes their operating system work as OTG, you will need an adapter. Again, it is due to the Android design being at odds with the HA-1, and not the other way around.

You literally just need a cheap OTG cable/adapter to allow the Android device to work on the "Mobile" input on the front panel of the HA-1.

Since the OTG adapters always end up with a Female USB A end...you would need a USB A - USB A male cable as well

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,004 of 5,414
Since the OTG adapters always end up with a Female USB A end...you would need a USB A - USB A male cable as well

Not a solution, but here's an interesting cable...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KD8WE9E?cache=caa44393e47d1812002f84bad7bc3083&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1404994292&sr=8-68#ref=mp_s_a_1_68

EDIT

Here's one that would work...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JFTGKAQ?cache=caa44393e47d1812002f84bad7bc3083&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1404996025&sr=8-59#ref=mp_s_a_1_59

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,005 of 5,414

This is what I was originally asking. I know how OTG works but I didn't know there was a way to turn the female full size USB into a male plug to use with the front port.

Here's one that would work...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JFTGKAQ?cache=caa44393e47d1812002f84bad7bc3083&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1404996025&sr=8-59#ref=mp_s_a_1_59

And thanks to you for posting the actual part needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back