Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #976 of 5,414
Just got my silver on on Suday
smily_headphones1.gif
I must say I had the black on loan and its cool but silver is amazing in real life.

45807_10204174878833642_440672800869750603_n.jpg

How do you like it compared to the Schiit gear?

Bill

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #977 of 5,414
Feels very 'modern' compared to the schiit gear and very well put together. Pre-amp, amp, bluetooth, dac, single, balanced with all the whistles and knobs and a GUI interface. Thinking it's going to raise the standard for what people should expect in their amps at this price range.

For once in an age someone somewhere is not trying to double the price for a new product in this hobby of ours. 
biggrin.gif

Feels a little smoother and more controlled than the in your face M/G combo from Schiit. The Schiit can drive the HE6 a bit better, slightly more power coming off that tap but for everything else I am experiencing new toy syndrome with the HA-1. Right now the HA-1 is lapping up the LCD-X with ease and not a sibilant tone in sight.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #978 of 5,414
Jul 9, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #979 of 5,414
Seems like a good match for the bright cans.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #981 of 5,414
  Will the front usb port ever accept android?

This needs to be supported by the Android device, not the other way around. Android is designed around the device being the Host, while the USB connected device is the Slave. The HA-1 works as the Host. So if you want to use an Android device with the player, you will need to get a OTG cable. You can find these for  around $7.00.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #982 of 5,414
 Will the front usb port ever accept android?

This needs to be supported by the Android device, not the other way around. Android is designed around the device being the Host, while the USB connected device is the Slave. The HA-1 works as the Host. So if you want to use an Android device with the player, you will need to get a OTG cable. You can find these for  around $7.00.

An android device that supports USB otg will work with the rear USB port if its connected with an OTG cable is what you're saying?

OTG cables are usually micro USB to full size female so the rear port would be the only way to plug an android device with OTG in (right?). If that's the case android users would only ever be able to use the rear port not the front port from what I can tell.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #986 of 5,414
Hi,

I just joined. So very new to here.

I am very, very new to headphones. However an old hack to HT and stereo.

I have recently purchased the HA-1 and Senny HD 700 cans.

Link below:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Badas

(Sorry I'm not allowed to post pic's on this forum yet).

Very, very happy with the result.

However I find the rig too nice. Very accurate, great frequency reproduction. I just wonder about having a dirtier sound.

I would like less treble and bloated midrange for blues/jazz listening.

Do I expand on my rig by adding a tube amp or should I invest in different sounding cans like the Grado or HiFiMan?

I like the rhythm and pace of the Oppo HA-1 and I understand I would probably loose that if I went to a tube amp. This is why I think just changing the cans might be better.

Any suggestions?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #987 of 5,414
An android device that supports USB otg will work with the rear USB port if its connected with an OTG cable is what you're saying?

OTG cables are usually micro USB to full size female so the rear port would be the only way to plug an android device with OTG in (right?). If that's the case android users would only ever be able to use the rear port not the front port from what I can tell.

You will use the "Mobile" input with the OTG cable/adapter.

Asynchronous USB is for computers only.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #988 of 5,414
  Quote:
I don't get it either. Wouldn't you want a micro usb to full size male usb to run a kindle or other android into the front usb port of the ha 1?

Most Android devices will not work on their own direct to the "Mobile" from USB port. Unless the Android device manufacturer purposefully makes their operating system work as OTG, you will need an adapter. Again, it is due to the Android design being at odds with the HA-1, and not the other way around.

You literally just need a cheap OTG cable/adapter to allow the Android device to work on the "Mobile" input on the front panel of the HA-1.

My biggest gripe with the otherwise fine specs and design of the unit. If that opening in the front of the case doesn't house a UNIVERSAL Serial Port, then label it as the freaking Fruit-Only-Port that it is. A little Truth-in-Advertising. 

Since iOS devices are the designed explicitly to be used with a Host device, we have explicitly labeled the iOS compatibility on the front panel of the HA-1. But it will work with any device that can use the player as the Host device, which includes Android devices.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #989 of 5,414
Hi new member.

I am new to cans, however an old hag to HT and stereo.
biggrin.gif

I recently purchase the Oppo HA-1 and Senny HD700's to get me in the cans game.

I'm absolutely loving the Senny / Oppo rig. It sounds very accurate. Great frequency range, tempo etc, etc.

Just on some music (jazz, blues) they sound too polite.
eek.gif
I wanta roll of the treble and muddy up the midrange.

Would I add new cans or amp? or both?

I really like the pacing and rhythm of the HA-1 and that is something I would like to keep. So maybe the amp does not need any change. Maybe just get another set of cans?

From what I have read this screams Grado or HiFiMan cans. Everyone talks about treble being rolled off on Grado's.

Maybe I don't get a tube amp and another set of cans. Maybe I pour my $$ into a top line of cans only???

What do you think?

Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #990 of 5,414

The difference is in the pin configuration in the micro USB end of the cable so that the device can act as a host instead of a peripheral. Without the OTG cable with its magic pin configuration it acts a peripheral that can not feed music to the HA-1. This is accomplished through the Mobile USB connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back