My initial impression of AD2000
Mar 5, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people with the new ultrasone 780s around here? I am curious to see a comparison between them and the ad2ks

X2.
For some reason I am hesistant to try ultrasones, no idea why - it would be an interesting comparison for sure
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #51 of 100
w5k vs ad2k and wk1 are very personal cans for some reason some prefer ad2k, some w5k, and some like the w1k best. Ive asked around and did research on headfi and other forums and all the comparisons are mixed so far as preference goes

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #52 of 100
Thanks for the review. I've been curious about the AD2000 for a while and may, God willing, try them in the future [if I can find a used pair reasonably priced].

The only exposure I've had to AT were the A900LTD [over a year ago], which impressed me as so-so. To me, they lacked detail and extension, and at that particular time I preferred the MDR-SA5000, ProLine750 or DT880/2003 to the ATs. My amps were the DV336i, G&W T2.6F and the Dynahi Veda SE back then.

Since that time, I've developed a decided affinity for the RAL re-cabled K701 and, with the recent acquisition of the K501, I don't think the midrange can get much, if at all, better right now. The K701's one, small glitch, IMHO, is its slightly warped/discontinuous midrange (which becomes quite noticeable in an a/b alongside the K501, especially on vocal tracks), so your stated preference for the AD2000's midrange over the K701's isn't surprising.

Thanks again for the fine review. Please update us as you seee fit. : )

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #53 of 100
Just got my pair from PriceJapan. Ordered on weekend, delivered to my door on Wednesday, quite impressive.
Some minor comfort issues with too tight of a grip, getting a tad better after some intense unbending, not sure how I can make it looser without breaking the metal rods.
Granted that they are not fully burned in to form any impressions. But my first thoughts that they are incredibly K271S alike. About the same amount of bass, details about the same too, with slight edge to AD2000, slightly rolled off highs, great, lush mids. Of course AD2000 soundstage is bigger but not that great by open cans standards.
BTW, W5000 just trounces them in resolution and soundstage department, we'll see how it gets changed after burn in. So far I am happy, well rounded, smooth cans without any glaring faults.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my pair from PriceJapan. Ordered on weekend, delivered to my door on Wednesday, quite impressive.
Some minor comfort issues with too tight of a grip, getting a tad better after some intense unbending, not sure how I can make it looser without breaking the metal rods.
Granted that they are not fully burned in to form any impressions. But my first thoughts that they are incredibly K271S alike. About the same amount of bass, details about the same too, with slight edge to AD2000, slightly rolled off highs, great, lush mids. Of course AD2000 soundstage is bigger but not that great by open cans standards.
BTW, W5000 just trounces them in resolution and soundstage department, we'll see how it gets changed after burn in. So far I am happy, well rounded, smooth cans without any glaring faults.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bass?

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #57 of 100
Ok, I've done quite a bit of lurking around here trying to find the right headphone for me and I must say, from everything I've read about these AD2000's on here, they sound like a really great can. They sound like they are perfect for trance music, which I mainly listen to.

Any good tube amps under $400 that would go well with this?

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by zanimation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I've done quite a bit of lurking around here trying to find the right headphone for me and I must say, from everything I've read about these AD2000's on here, they sound like a really great can. They sound like they are perfect for trance music, which I mainly listen to.

Any good tube amps under $400 that would go well with this?

general consensus here is that tubes don't work so well as SS amps for low-impedance cans. I'm currently hunting for some tubes that will give me clarity for these babies. I own a bada ph-12 btw.

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass?

Quantity wise
HD650 > AD2000 >= K271S > W5000 > DT880
As you can see it falls somewhere in between W5000 and HD650
Quality is on par with Zu recabled HD650, may be a tad tighter, can't tell for sure yet without doing A/B, imo W5000 has better quality bass, more focused and detailed.

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quantity wise
HD650 > AD2000 >= K271S > W5000 > DT880
As you can see it falls somewhere in between W5000 and HD650
Quality is on par with Zu recabled HD650, may be a tad tighter, can't tell for sure yet without doing A/B, imo W5000 has better quality bass, more focused and detailed.

650 is bass with K271S midrange = winner
biggrin.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back