My initial impression of AD2000
Mar 2, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will add a Sale option to the Grado's and see what I get for them.

How much did you pay for them including shipping Andrew?

The listed price ($540) includes EMS shipping to States.

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 100
thats a good price for them. got mine for 517 including shipping to the Philippines from audiocubes but that was before the price increase

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 100
small update on details/comfort sections!
biggrin.gif
Oh boy, These almost makes my K701 useless, save for classical music.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #19 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are only bass-heavy 'phones that I liked so far - and after good time listening, that statement is strengthened even more.
Bass from AD2000 just has more presence, tight, blazing quick, with SLAM SLAM on it. Oh, and the best part? Midrange+treble isn't buried by presence of large bass.

Glad to see you like 'em. If you listen to any music that prominently features kettle drums or other similarly highly-percussive drums, I highly suggest you throw it on with the AD2K - you will be amazed. The first time I heard the AD2K play kettle drums was my revelation to attack in general and the AD2K's level of attack, and it made me laugh. That's when I knew there was no going back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #20 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see you like 'em. If you listen to any music that prominently features kettle drums or other similarly highly-percussive drums, I highly suggest you throw it on with the AD2K - you will be amazed. The first time I heard the AD2K play kettle drums was my revelation to attack in general and the AD2K's level of attack, and it made me laugh. That's when I knew there was no going back.
smily_headphones1.gif

yes! I do like them very much
biggrin.gif

Do you mean Timpani drums? I listend to som Sun Ra w/ timpani drums - it was amazing
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 100
Edit: er...guess I was confused on some terminology. "Kettle drum" is interchangeable with "timpani," I almost never refer to those as timpani though.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 100
yes yes I get it now
biggrin.gif

I'll try to look for some music that has that quality.
It's amazing how good this is even in mismatched setup - I really need to get a) tuberolling as one user suggested b)get a dedicated amp, like gilmore lite or even go for dedicated AT amps.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #24 of 100
this isn't helping...

I've been trying to convince myself not to buy these...

Has anyone compared them to the AD900? I was thinking of getting these to quench my need for an open Audio Technica, but at this rate I'd probably have ended up with the AD2000 anyway

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #25 of 100
My meier headfive with crossfeed on is doing nicely with the ad2ks but I'm sure there are way better amps for them. They don't seem to be the type to change much in sound with different amps. My hd595s were more sensitive to different jacks and changed its sound much more. The sound is more "complete" and transparent and also more sensitive than the 595s though so think "clarity" more than "power" when choosing an amp for them.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #26 of 100
ah man to many headphones to try already. hehehe I need to work on the rest of my rig for a bit before i venture into more can's but these definitely intrigue me.

only good thing is my list of headphones I want is getting shorter hahaha....

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #27 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this isn't helping...

I've been trying to convince myself not to buy these...

Has anyone compared them to the AD900? I was thinking of getting these to quench my need for an open Audio Technica, but at this rate I'd probably have ended up with the AD2000 anyway

In terms of impact, extension, midrange - not even close ( which is why we're buying AD2000 anyways, right?)

And I'm sorry that I've caused upgraditidus
frown.gif

It's a very biased review though - I can't manage to objectively judge these - I like these too much.

I'll try to update these as often as possible, using variaty of genres (it's my first quisi-full review and I've became quite attached to it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My meier headfive with crossfeed on is doing nicely with the ad2ks but I'm sure there are way better amps for them. They don't seem to be the type to change much in sound with different amps. My hd595s were more sensitive to different jacks and changed its sound much more. The sound is more "complete" and transparent and also more sensitive than the 595s though so think "clarity" more than "power" when choosing an amp for them.

I think I like my MOVE with these as well, sounded cleaner than PH-12s.
I might just buy a ATH-25D to try with these...

Thanks for the comment, guys
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #29 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of impact, extension, midrange - not even close ( which is why we're buying AD2000 anyways, right?)

Youve heard the ad900s? Can you elaborate more on the differences between them and the ad2k?

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #30 of 100
I've compared the AD900, AD1000 and AD2000 once, very briefly, using an AT-HA5000, CEC transport and Lavry DA10.

I didn't listen very long because I already owned the AD2000 at the time. I thought the AD1000 had less bass quantity and was not as smooth nor as refined as the AD2000. It also seemed to be a bit brighter and have slightly harsher treble. The AD900 was another step below the AD1000.

Here, we often have disagreements and differing opinions about headphones resulting in people saying, "Well, we all hear differently."

I don't think we really hear all that differently. Regarding the AD900, AD1000 and AD2000, I doubt that anyone will prefer the AD900 or AD1000 over the AD2000. Well, there are always exceptions and the tail ends of the curve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys recommend for an Amp for the AD2000?

Zana Deux.

The AT-HA5000 is also not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back