My initial impression of AD2000
Mar 1, 2008 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Whoa,

I recently got my AD2000 yesterday in a trade, and WOW!

It should be noted that I couldn't stand bassy headphones before - HD600.HD650,D2000,DT770 etc. But these blew my mind... oh boy.

This headphone made me re-think about my headphone preference - Initially I thought I hated large amount of bass, but it seems that I was simply too critical about bass quality.

I used X5L 30G FLAC as the source, coupled with Corda MOVE/ BADA PH-12 with stock tubes. AD2000s had ~300 hours on them, fully burnt in. First thing I noticed was this massive, tightly controlled, accurate, fast paced bass.

First track I've listen to was "Numb" by portishead. Bass was growlingly deep, with fast attack and very quick decay - very hard to find in bass-heavy headphones, with midrange lush, full, and just so seductive.
Bass, AD2000, I like - I live very much.

Next track: Breakthrough, by Modest mouse. All right, I didn't expect too much from AD2000 for rock - nevertheless, it was still impressive how their drum set, guitar, bass guitar, and vocals all came together to be just musical- not in the same sense as Grado/Alessandro, but pretty darn good - and those vocals - amazing!

Next track: Shoot me down -Norah Jones. I also didn't expect too much from these cans when it comes to Norah Jones - but I was wrong! These may be better than K701s in terms of presenting Norah Jone's voice - Pianos sounded especially awesome - deep, weighted piano sound that blends with guitar so well - and that midrange - especially vocals that tingles your spine every time! Okay - enough ranting, I cannot objectively judge these cans - I like them too much at the moment! Time for a break...

After lunch, I came back testing yet another track: Where did you sleep last night - from Nirvana Unplugged album.
Wow - This is great live performance! I assume you know AD2000's strength already, if it was not emphasized much already. Live acoustic-guitar tracks? better than MS2i IMO. You just feel like you're part of select few listening to Kurt Cobain perform live - HE's BACK!! One another thing I want to mention is that these cans do SUBLIME job of conveying emotion in vocals - I felt Cobain's pain as if it was my own - These cans are going to make me suicidal! I can't listen to Mr.Cobain no more!!

Next up: Lacrimosa from Mozart's requiem. Another piece that makes me air-conduct - even more so this time!! Just so involving - even in classical music. I rarely like involving classical music - I like analytic, layered response of K701 better for classical, but these headphones force me to be air-conducting. Can you talk about good compliment to K701? wow!

These are only bass-heavy 'phones that I liked so far - and after good time listening, that statement is strengthened even more.
Bass from AD2000 just has more presence, tight, blazing quick, with SLAM SLAM on it. Oh, and the best part? Midrange+treble isn't buried by presence of large bass.

And its midrange is one of the best I've heard - perhaps THE best?
Yes, it's colored - but it's so involving, so seductive, and so much emotion involved with this vocal/acoustic guitar/violin/drums/ so forth - It's very hard not to like these 'phones.

Treble is there, with good extension - not emphasized as much as their midrange, that's all. I might need a better amp to test its limits - not constricted at all!

Soundstage? It's there, but AD2000 is very un-analytical, it's hard to notice that soundstage - great instrument separation but I was just too busy singing along and tapping my feet (along with air-guitar, air-drum, air-violin etc)

Detail? not bad - but not as much as DT880 or K1000. You'll notice recording flaws, but it's not as annoying as DT880 or K1000.
EDIT: after careful listening session, there IS as much detail as DT880 - just not as prominent! While DT880 made tape hiss, cough in the crowd stand out like a noticeable pimple, AD2000 tends to diffuse (not too sure if that's the right word) those mistakes/ poor recordings, letting you focus on the musical aspect of the recording. Oh, and these cans definitely are more detailed than K701, especially in Bass/midrange section even with my low-mid fi setup.

Amplification: Very easy to drive - even straight out of mp3 player - more than decent. I didn't notice any hiss or any type of problem with my BADA PH-12 so far - it may emphasize its bass little too much though. My Meier Audio MOVE did well as well on low gain. I should look into getting a AT amp for these, though.

Comfort: I'm impressed - I know AT's fit isn't for everyone, but my head (which is large-ish side) had no problem with them - even in extended listening sessions for hours, these are not fatiguing at all, despite all the impact of BOOM BOOM SLAP SLAP SLAM SLAM!

That's it folks! These are still initial impressions - and I'll probably update them later on! Sorry for my noobish review
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detail? not bad - but not as much as DT880 or K1000. You'll notice recording flaws, but it's not as annoying as DT880 or K1000.

Great review, Elephas compared two a while ago and for him AD2000 came out with better details. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ad2000-120019/
Granted he compared with older version of Beyers, but afaik they have the same amount of details as the new one.

BTW, how is the comfort with those?

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 100
Nothing noobish about your review at all. I thought is was excellent, and as I've said again and again the AD2000 are one of my favorite headphones and especially for the $500 and under category. To my ears, like yours, they do pretty much everything right and just get out of the way, allowing me to get completely immersed in the music. Every single time I have a listening session with them, it ends with a satisfied smile and a promise to return to them soon!

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, Elephas compared two a while ago and for him AD2000 came out with better details. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ad2000-120019/
Granted he compared with older version of Beyers, but afaik they have the same amount of details as the new one.

BTW, how is the comfort with those?

Thanks!
yup, I tried DT880 05' and that's my next purchase after livewires (I cant stand MS2is due to comfort issues).
I think I'll have good compliment for my home setup after K701-DT880-AD2000
biggrin.gif
I should be done for a while after. I think DT880 may have more perceived detail due to its bass-light nature or that I'm not mating the right amp with it (most likely).

I find comfort is amazing with these - very much like A900 (which has no comfort issues whatsoever) but now comfier. I even had no problem with fitting of W5000 - unlike many others - I think I just have an AT-head!

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing noobish about your review at all. I thought is was excellent, and as I've said again and again the AD2000 are one of my favorite headphones and especially for the $500 and under category. To my ears, like yours, they do pretty much everything right and just get out of the way, allowing me to get completely immersed in the music. Every single time I have a listening session with them, it ends with a satisfied smile and a promise to return to them soon!

Thank you for the kind words!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I may be in love at the moment with my AD2000 - my review is probably very biased because of "new toy syndrome" - hence its noobishness
biggrin.gif

yes- I like these very very much at the moment!

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 100

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the kind words!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I may be in love at the moment with my AD2000 - my review is probably very biased because of "new toy syndrome" - hence its noobishness
biggrin.gif

yes- I like these very very much at the moment!

Oh, trust me, I can identify with that new toy syndrome. But sometimes it just "clicks" and you know that you've got something that you'll enjoy for a good, long time. That was my reaction with the AD2000. Coloration and all, they still do the kinds of things I most enjoy in terms of headphone listening, but mostly because they tend to get out of the way and let the music take over.

I'm not sure why, exactly. It's just that with most headphones, I tend to "hear the headphones" as much as I do with the music, and that's not the case with the AD2000 since they don't call undue attention to any particular aspect of the overall presentation. I notice the bass, for example, but only is good ways, so it never seems overblown or distracting since it's so quick, articulate and quick hitting. No artificial resonances like you so often get with closed headphones. You know the 'chamber effect' or whatever you want to call it.

I've got a lot of headphones that are more expensive than the AD2000, but very few are more satisfying overall. Yet, I'm sure there are many, many people out there who would not say this -- because, for them, there is something about the AD2000 that stands out in an annoying way, be it something that is overdone or missing or whatever.

More than anything, it's a matter of taste, and I just think it's cool when someone finds a pair of headphones that really works for them and gets a buzz out of it -- even it it turns out to be only temporary.

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to give these a try. I just got my new RS2's, but these are just too tempting. Anyone want to trade?
biggrin.gif

Don't want to discourage you, but in case you haven't noticed, somehow these are getting harder and harder to find used. I spent a couple of weeks desperately hunting for one, guess I just don't have enough patience because I ordered new one from PriceJapan this morning.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't want to discourage you, but in case you haven't noticed, somehow these are getting harder and harder to find used. I spent a couple of weeks desperately hunting for one, guess I just don't have enough patience because I ordered new one from PriceJapan this morning.
frown.gif

People who has them - are not willing to let them go - and I can see why.
They're very involving in different way from grados.
For all AT 'phones I've tried, these are most "colored" right - not harsh (like ES7s can be sometime) I'm glad I've got them used from my buddy who initially sold me AD1000s (I've traded those back for AD2000 for only 120$, plus I gotta buy him a dinner as well). These are huge difference from AD1000s.

btw - is there an official AD2000 thread? I couldn't find one- if so, someone should make one, these deserve good attention!

I've been listening to them pretty much 6 hours in a row now, stopping only for food and small breaks
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 100
The ad2000s are the first headphone that I love with all my music except for my koss mac-5 days back in the day which i used to plug in my discman with bass boost hehehe. Ive had or currently have these cans...koss esp-950 electrostats, sennheiser px100 hd555 hd595 and hd580, Beyer dt990 2005, alessandro ms1, grado sr60 and sr80, AKG k81DJ and k240s, and others that are not so popular like some sony 200 dollar model, a jvc 50 dollar model and many more that I can't remember. I've also heard grado 325s and some sennheiser hd600s briefly a while back.

Among all those, the ad2ks are the cans that give me pleasure while giving me quality enough for critical listening

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not sure how the PriceJapan website works. I see the AD2000 for 540 USD but how do I add it to the cart to buy it?

Click on price quote, follow a couple of forms and in the end it'll give you a payment option, they accept PayPal too.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 100
The ad2000 really responds to good tube amps. I really fell for 'em with the Eddie Currrent EC01 (discontinued I think?) but when I got my Zana Deux,.. Wow! It's like listening through crystal. So clear and just doesn't do anything wrong. I'm off to explore electrostats this year, but I can't see ever giving up this combo.
BTW I listen to my k701s too. Great pairing.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 100
I will add a Sale option to the Grado's and see what I get for them.

How much did you pay for them including shipping Andrew?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back