My initial impression of AD2000
Mar 12, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #91 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by quan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys- newbie here from down under-current rig-Stax SR54 and PCX100-Have just acquired a G&W AT-F100 headphone amp- Just wonder would AD2000 be an over kill?
Any comment regard suitable head phones?
Also any comment about the price of the AD 2000 in Australia is $ 1200!!!-and seem you guys getting for much less?
Where would be a good place to get it?Direct from the land of Rising sun?
Many thanks. Sorry for many questions

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that amp
frown.gif
, but import from japan currently is around 540$ USD. checkout pricejapan.com

These work fine without an amp, but I'm looking to amp it with Gilmore Lite- when I have the money.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #92 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your new purchase. Once they have had a chance to break in, and you have become acquainted with the AD2000's, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on how they compare with the Edition 9.

Thanks for the welcome and yes, I'll have a listen to these two phones over the weekend and try to jot down a few impressions. I will say that of the other headphones I've had recently -- HD650, K701, D5000 -- the AD2000s seem closest to having the speed and timing I find so addictive in the Ed 9s, though their retrieval of detail is not quite as...er...pronounced* and their respective soundstages are very different as you'd expect in closed/open, s-logic/no s-logic. I can imagine some Ed 9 owners being very pleased with the AD2000s as an open-phone backup though.

best,

o

* Actually, I think what I mean is that the Edition 9s resolve a ton of information and present it fairly evenly across the frequency band but with a dynamic swing I've only ever heard previously from very good dynamic speakers. The difference between "soft" and "loud" over the Edition 9s is very pronounced on good recordings, and the AD2000s seem to do this also, though not quite to the same extent.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #93 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew_Wot,
It seems that you have had experience with other cans I have been eyeing recently. How would you rank the ad2000, w5000, denon d5000, d2000, and any of the ultrasone pro 750 or 2500s. If I liked the ad2ks but wanted a little more top end maybe around 12khz and above, would any of the cans above possibly dethrone the ad2ks for me?

W5000
AD2000
K271S (you didn't ask for that one but I guessed that would be a nice option to consider if you after "isolating" closed cans)
D2000 (no first hand experience with D5000, but from what I collected here they are roughly the same, esp. after recabling). K271S and D2000 are actually a tier, I just preferred K271S signature a bit more.
PL750
icon13.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #94 of 100
hahahaha the pl750 down there just goes to show everyones different tastes. The ultrasone threads have pumped me up about those cans so much that I was gonna buy them blind but that right there at least will make my itch to try them less. Thanks for temporarily saving my wallet
biggrin.gif

Ive always wanted to try k271s before but lost my appetite when even the supposedly easier to drive k240s I got were too hard to drive out of portables. My requirement for a can is that they sound decent and have enough volume from any source but improve with an amp. The k240s didn't pass the portable test for minimum sensitivity.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #95 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
It seems that you have had experience with other cans I have been eyeing recently. How would you rank the ad2000, w5000, denon d5000, d2000, and any of the ultrasone pro 750 or 2500s. If I liked the ad2ks but wanted a little more top end maybe around 12khz and above, would any of the cans above possibly dethrone the ad2ks for me?

W5000
AD2000
K271S (you didn't ask for that one but I guessed that would be a nice option to consider if you after "isolating" closed cans)
D2000 (no first hand experience with D5000, but from what I collected here they are roughly the same, esp. after recabling). K271S and D2000 are actually a tier, I just preferred K271S signature a bit more.
PL750
icon13.gif

Okay, I've done it before, I'll do it again: while I agree on the W5000 recommendation concerning the quantity of highs, let's not forget about the W1000, these also have more highs than the AD2000, albeit being very different sounding overall.
It's not as easy as to say "the W5000/W1000 is a generally better phone under all circumstances compared to the AD2000". All have technical advantages and disadvantages over the others, so maybe you'd like either W5000 or W1000 better, but you'd have to acquire a completely new taste coming from the AD2000. So chances are that in the end, your heart will stay with the AD2000 - that's what happened to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I have a tolerance for various sound signatures, so I still like them all very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #97 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does Michael Jackson sound on the AD2k?
biggrin.gif

Also where is the best place to get the AD2k right now?
confused.gif

Well, Japan but plane tickets may cost more.
I think Pricejapan @ 544$?

I was just listening to "Beat it" and it's snappy, fun, fast! I tried listening to the same song with K701 - nowhere near the same.

Just buy it already
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #99 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EVIL !!
biggrin.gif

nah...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club.
Just for the record, these are bad phones .... for finding faults. That's boring.
rolleyes.gif
Hard to pick on anything.
... And they really have started carving out some serious details after prolonged pink noise treatment. Wondering why they do not get proper and well deserved attention on head-fi. They sound so balanced that will satisfy majority of people here, may be this is the problem, everyone wants some quirks.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back