Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #11,057 of 16,931
You know since I got my TDK BA-200s I am really impressed how they sound. I have not heard super high end IEMs but I have heard a few mid to high and mostly use the standard headphones I own and really wonder 
if an IEM can really be had to sound like my full sized cans... I do not mind spending a little more but I DO wonder what the law of diminishing returns would be after awhile! 
I have seen nice customs like the CT-200 starting out a decent price but after awhile I wonder how much I really gain... I know there are IEMS lots better, that IS a given, it's the how much better I truly wonder about..
I think I saw somewhere posted that once you get past around $200 is matter of it being a personal thing... I want better, I have wait a little, these nicely priced TDKs work well...
I do want better but if spending double is getting me only marginally better I have to wonder if that works for me given my use overall use. 

I scoured the guides and reviews here. I heard the Astrotec AM-800s which for $50 are are very well reguarded! The TDK BA-200s at least to me are easily twice as good and cost JUST over double at $122...
From what I have read here the next step is wait for the new line of Vsonics to come at because if the pattern holds $240 with the new models coming out may sound twice at good as the TDKs... I have read a few
reviews where SOME members here liked the TDKs better than the GR 07s. I have no idea, I am happy for the moment... It will last me until the new models come out. I have to ask myself are CIEMs worth it to me, 
the CT-200s at the price are REALLY tempting.. I will stay tuned here and read...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #11,058 of 16,931
Joker, I'm curious.. many of the new top tier multi-armature IEM models all seem to have an upper midrange dip of varying degrees (Heir 4.Ai, UE 900 to a less extent, and now the SM64), slightly boosted bass, and an inoffensive treble presentation. I'm fine with the treble and bass, but why do people tune IEMs with an upper midrange dip that can cause a veiled effect, and a decrease in perceived clarity? (Most noticeable with female vocals). Is there some psycho-acoustic effect of the sucked out upper midrange that we're subtly enjoying? Or is it entirely developer preference to tune IEMs in such a manner? 
confused_face_2.gif

PS If anyone has any insight to this topic do share!

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #11,061 of 16,931
Quote:
hmm. for the WooDUO 2 at $64 instead of msrp $125... would I be foolish *not* to get it?

Don't buy something just for the value - make sure it suits your needs first. The Wooduo 2 especially is a pretty peculiar earphone. It's got tons of very deep bass and slightly edgy treble. Not the most natural sound, but great for bassheads who like a clarity and less mid-bass bloat compared to mainstream bass-heavy sets.

Quote:
You know since I got my TDK BA-200s I am really impressed how they sound. I have not heard super high end IEMs but I have heard a few mid to high and mostly use the standard headphones I own and really wonder 
if an IEM can really be had to sound like my full sized cans... I do not mind spending a little more but I DO wonder what the law of diminishing returns would be after awhile! 
I have seen nice customs like the CT-200 starting out a decent price but after awhile I wonder how much I really gain... I know there are IEMS lots better, that IS a given, it's the how much better I truly wonder about..
I think I saw somewhere posted that once you get past around $200 is matter of it being a personal thing... I want better, I have wait a little, these nicely priced TDKs work well...
I do want better but if spending double is getting me only marginally better I have to wonder if that works for me given my use overall use. 

I scoured the guides and reviews here. I heard the Astrotec AM-800s which for $50 are are very well reguarded! The TDK BA-200s at least to me are easily twice as good and cost JUST over double at $122...
From what I have read here the next step is wait for the new line of Vsonics to come at because if the pattern holds $240 with the new models coming out may sound twice at good as the TDKs... I have read a few
reviews where SOME members here liked the TDKs better than the GR 07s. I have no idea, I am happy for the moment... It will last me until the new models come out. I have to ask myself are CIEMs worth it to me, 
the CT-200s at the price are REALLY tempting.. I will stay tuned here and read...
smily_headphones1.gif

If the BA-200 is as good as everyone says it is (i.e. top-tier or near top-tier), it's not likely you'll find something twice as good on the market, period. However, quantifying sound quality improvement is a tricky thing so who knows, maybe the VSD07 will be twice as good to you.

Quote:
Joker, I'm curious.. many of the new top tier multi-armature IEM models all seem to have an upper midrange dip of varying degrees (Heir 4.Ai, UE 900 to a less extent, and now the SM64), slightly boosted bass, and an inoffensive treble presentation. I'm fine with the treble and bass, but why do people tune IEMs with an upper midrange dip that can cause a veiled effect, and a decrease in perceived clarity? (Most noticeable with female vocals). Is there some psycho-acoustic effect of the sucked out upper midrange that we're subtly enjoying? Or is it entirely developer preference to tune IEMs in such a manner? 
confused_face_2.gif

PS If anyone has any insight to this topic do share!

My guess is to avoid the perception of hard treble and edgy vocals with complaint-prone mainstream users who crank the volume all the way and then listen to 96kbps mp3s. It's just a "safe" tuning compared to going the GR07 route. There are plenty of other IEMs (dynamic and armature) that do the opposite - the PFE232, Sony EX1000, and Westone 3, just to name a few. By the way, I've heard from a few people now who found the UE900 treble excessive for their purposes so for them even the UE tuning isn't quite inoffensive enough.

By the way, I have seen the measurements for the SM64 - saw them before I got a chance to try it. I expected to dislike it but I had to be honest with myself and say that the opposite is true, that I enjoy the SM64 more than several other established high-end earphones. While it is probable that the SM64 would sound even better with a flatter upper midrange and lower treble, in listening to the earphones I can’t say that the issue bothers me as much as, for example, the sibilance of a VSonic GR07, the broader upper midrange dip of the SM3, or the bloated bass of a Sennheiser IE8. 

Quote:
Amazing!! What an effort!

Any chance you'll be reviewing the JH16 Pro's?

I only have the JH13Pro, which I will add in due time. I like it quite a lot. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #11,062 of 16,931
Hello, again...

I'm looking for an IEM to use in the gym, and would like to avoid using my W4s. Is there a cheaper sub $100 alternate... while possibly still keeping the same sound signature? I know the clarity won't be the same, but would like a similar tone...

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #11,064 of 16,931
Quote:
Hello, again...

I'm looking for an IEM to use in the gym, and would like to avoid using my W4s. Is there a cheaper sub $100 alternate... while possibly still keeping the same sound signature? I know the clarity won't be the same, but would like a similar tone...

Was going to recommend a BA but if you're going to use it at the gym that's probably not a great idea - armatures don't handle moisture well. RE-400 would be a good choice, then, though I am not sure how the cable will hold up to sweat (it might harden in the long run). 

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #11,065 of 16,931
I just received the new and improved NuForce NE-700X.  For anyone looking for IEMs around $50, check these out as well as the Zero Audio CB-DX210 Carbo Basso and CB-DX200 Carbo Tenore.

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #11,066 of 16,931
I just received my Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition and I really enjoy them. However, when the plug is moved I hear a static sound. How worried should I be?
Edit: to add on to this when I move the plug while listening to music, in addition the static sound the music sounds as if it's in the background for a few seconds then return to being in the "front"
Edit2: Nevermind, I stuck a qtip in the jack and now the static is gone.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #11,067 of 16,931
Quote:
I just received my Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition and I really enjoy them. However, when the plug is moved I hear a static sound. How worried should I be?
Edit: to add on to this when I move the plug while listening to music, in addition the static sound the music sounds as if it's in the background for a few seconds then return to being in the "front"
Edit2: Nevermind, I stuck a qtip in the jack and now the static is gone.

Try wiping the plug on your phones with your shirt or something
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #11,068 of 16,931
Quote:
hmm. for the WooDUO 2 at $64 instead of msrp $125... would I be foolish *not* to get it?

No, you would be foolish to get it.
I heard two different WooDUOs and I thought both of them were horrid. I'm surprised Joker rated them so highly... The sound is just horrid IMO and I would've probably rated them even lower. Get the MH1C if you want that kind of sound 
tongue.gif

Welp, I have the UE900s and I think my impressions with them are just about on par with yours Joker. They definitely have too much lower midrange, but once I EQ that area down, they sound wonderful. Now to figure out how to apply a custom EQ on my iPod and I'll be good.
I also noticed that female vocals are indeed a little bit muffled. Would you say the 1964ears V3s would do a better job at handling female vocalists? I'm looking for a GR07-esque sound where the bass is a bit boosted and center stage is nice and intimate with female vocalists.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #11,069 of 16,931
Joker, could I get a reccomendation;
I have the Vsonic GR99 and I like them a lot, even compared to my more expensive IEMs. I boght my dad some GR02s and I like them a lot too, and am looking to upgrade (want something better than both) I like the design of both of these IEMs and love the Vsonic sound except for one thing, the "S" sound has a little too much hiss to it ex: instead of the word sounding like "something" it sounds like "sssomething" Looking at some UE, Sony model, the RE-400 and also the higher Vsonic models. One thing I do not want is for the IEMs to protrude too much out of my ear because I may be sleeping in them. Budget is >$200. Basically just want a more refined version of the two low end vsonics.
I listen to some laid back rock, alternative, and rap music.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #11,070 of 16,931
Quote:
No, you would be foolish to get it.
I heard two different WooDUOs and I thought both of them were horrid. I'm surprised Joker rated them so highly... The sound is just horrid IMO and I would've probably rated them even lower. Get the MH1C if you want that kind of sound 
tongue.gif

I already purchased the WooDUO2's.. just waiting for them to ship it.. I hope I don't share that same experience. O_o
And I ordered the MH1C's off of eBay last week.. so I expect those in soon too..

I have a list of budget-fi gear that I'm going after.. Whether I like them or not.. it's still a fun journey *experiencing gear* up next = Soundmagic e10, GR07BE, TDK BA200, Sony XBA3, Ety HF5 (eventually.. not all at once lol)

Or I just might get *half* from that list.. and aim for Westone 4's or UE900s (I like the UE sound sig so far.. but I've only experienced 6000 and 600 from UE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back