Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #10,306 of 16,931
Darn.

May 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #10,307 of 16,931
Quote:
Reading between the lines, JH13 Pro is probably going to get a 10 out of 10 from you. :wink:

Probably...

Quote:
are the Sony hybrids compatible with the MEElec A161P?

Yes, they fit.

Quote:
Joker, you really don't have to rescale your score table. Personally, i just want to see the scores of IEMs or CIEMs in the similar price range. For example, if you really think JH13Pro is better than Miracle a bit, you can straightly score JH13Pro as 10.5 instead of 10.5/10. So It doesn't matter whether the score is over denominator 10 anymore. IMO, it's clearer to show how much those high end CIEM/IEMs better than the lower end 

Another question on CIEMs. What are the differences between Miracle and NT6? Which one you love better? 

While I may just do that as a temporary measure, there's some math I use that wouldn't make a lot of sense with a >1 value for sound quality. Plus, the off-site sortable table may glitch if I do that.

Truth be told, high-end CIEMs aren't necessarily leagues and bounds better than certain top-tier universals and mid-level customs (diminishing returns and all that), so I'd rather not introduce an artificial gap there. 

I like the NT 6 a little better than the Miracle. Generally speaking, it's brighter, clearer, and more crisp. The mids are more present and vocals are more intelligible. The presentation is not as laid-back as with the Miracle, either. There's also a touch more bass impact but not as much as with the JH13. I really like the bass and midrange of the NT 6 but I do prefer the smoother treble of the Miracle, and it's a tough call on which presentation I like best. 

Quote:
Sooooo.....my UE5 Pro's have finally failed me for the last time!  The shell on the right bud broke, when I tried to plug in the cable the fine wire (that WAS protected by the shell) snapped.  So I'm looking for a replacement and came across this excellent thread!  I was thinking ER 4P or a Westone 4 but now I'm looking at the ER HR5 and the Rockit R50 as a cheaper alternative.  Being a longtime audiophile, I'll probably wind up with one of the more expensive IEM's but I just wanted to thank you for this thread, it's exactly what I hoped I'd find here!

Glad it's been helpful!

Quote:
Oooo scandalous. Do you ever feel that by rescaling it, you squeeze yourself a bit at the top, ie making things seem closer than they are?

Actually, sometimes I feel things are closer than they seem... Anyway, because the ranking is more qualitative than quantitative I think rescaling it doesn't detract from the accuracy. The actual order of things typically doesn't change when I re-scale.

Quote:
Hey Joker.  I'm debating between Vsonic GR07 and the Philips S1.  I was wondering where you feel S1 lacks compared to the GR07 in terms of sound.  Trying to decide if the GR07 is worth the extra cash.  Isolation isn't important to me and I know you said that is one area S1 falls short.  Also it isn't as comfortable or able to get as good of a fit.  But just in terms of sound how they compare.  Thanks a bunch!

Not much, I would call them nearly even in terms of sound quality. The S1 has slightly cooler tone, sounds a little thinner, and isn't quite as spacious overall as the GR07.

Really what you're paying for with the GR07 is the better isolation and over-ear fit. I have an easier time getting a good seal with the GR07 than with the S1/S2, though that may not necessarily be the case for you. 

Quote:
Hey joker,
I was wondering if there was a significant difference from the gr07 mk1 compared to the bass edition I found a mk1 for $90 and was wondering if it was worth spending the extra t get the bass edition.

If you think the regular GR07 won't have enough bass - yes. Otherwise, no. The GR07 BE review will be up this week but they are quite similar overall.

May 15, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #10,308 of 16,931
List is amazing :)

I just have simple question - I like the sound of Koss PortaPro, but I would like to purchase in-ear analogy. Could You recommend some similarly sounding earphones for a reasonable price? I've read lots of reviews, but cannot choose the right ones, because none of them are compared to PortaPro's (which I know how they sound like).

Thank You!

May 15, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #10,309 of 16,931
Added VSonic R02 Silver and GR07 Bass Edition

Quote:
(3A78) VSonic R02 Silver

Reviewed May 2013

Details: Latest version of VSonic's popular R02 model
Current Price: $49 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: est $49)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 105 dB | Freq: 8-28k Hz | Cable: 4.1' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: stock bi-flanges; MEElec “balanced” bi-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (2.5/5) - Bi-flange silicone tips (3 pairs in 2 sizes), shirt clip, and soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The R02 Silver is similar to VSonic’s other -02 models in appearance but actually has a smaller nozzle diameter and all-plastic housings. The earphones are still very robust, however, and the cable is strong and flexible
Isolation (3.5/5) – Good, especially with the included thick bi-flange tips
Microphonics (4/5) – Low when worn cable-down; very low with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (4/5) – The familiar housings are small and fit well. Long strain reliefs may pose an issue for some with over-the-ear wear but a cable cinch is present to help out

Sound (8/10) – The R02 Silver is the latest iteration of VSonic’s long-running R02 model. The last one I tested – the GR02 Bass Edition – had a rather v-shaped sound to it, complete with strong bass and prominent, occasionally sibilant treble. The R02 Silver pursues the opposite signature – smooth and almost mid-centric in nature. It reminds me of a Brainwavz M1 with punchier bass and all-around better clarity.

The most prominent feature of the R02 Silver is the midrange – it is far more forward than with the GR02 bass edition and a little more so than with the pricier GR06. The bass quantity, on the other hand, is diminished compared to the GR02 Bass Edition, appearing less impactful but also less prone to bleeding up into the midrange. Bass punch is similar to the pricier GR06, though the latter is a touch quicker. The mids sound clear and open – a little thicker and less nuanced than with the VSonic VC02 and many of the pricier armature-based earphones, but nonetheless very clean and natural.

The top end is smooth, but not recessed. There is less treble brilliance than with VSonic’s other dynamic-driver earphones, but also no sibilance. This is especially noticeable next it the Bass Edition of the GR02, which tends to be hotter and more harsh in the treble. The presentation of the R02 Silver is fitting, with a large, out-of-the-head sound. The imaging is not the most precise but still on-par with the better earphones in its price range.

Value (10/10) – The aging VSonic R02 continues to impress with its latest tuning, eschewing the v-shaped signature of the GR02 Bass Edition for a more mid-centric sound with surprisingly good clarity and bass quality. The only downside here is the limited tip selection compared to the GR02 bass edition, but even having to pick up a few extra tips fails to diminish the value of what VSonic has here.

Pros: Well-built, great sound for the money
Cons: Lacks in tip selection compared to GR02 Bass Edition

Quote:
(2A30) VSonic GR07 Bass Edition

Reviewed May 2013

Details: Enhanced-bass version of VSonic’s GR07 mkII
Current Price: $179 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: est. $179)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 40Ω | Sens: 105 dB | Freq: 5-22k Hz | Cable: 4.3’ L-plug
Nozzle Size: 4mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges; MEElec A151 single-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes), Hybrid-style (10 sizes), and bi-flange silicone tips, foam tips, over-the-ear cable guides, and soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) – The build of the new GR07s matches the original quite closely, with similar housings and other hardware. The housings are designed for over-the-ear wear and feature adjustable-angle metal nozzles. The cord is a little bit softer but otherwise very similar to the original GR07 cable
Isolation (3.5/5) – Reasonably good for a dynamic-driver earphone
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Cable noise is very low as the GR07 can only be worn in the over-the-ear configuration. Although there is no shirt clip in the accessory pack, the cable cinch and ear guides can be used to fix the cord in place better
Comfort (4.5/5) – The earphone uses fairly large 11mm drivers but the lightweight, over-the-ear style housings actually work very well for prolonged listening with their slim profile, rounded edges, and adjustable-angle nozzles

Sound (9.1/10) – It’s been more than two years since the release of VSonic’s original dynamic-driver flagship, and yet the aging GR07 is still a standard I hold all new dynamic-driver earphones against. I skipped over the second revision of the GR07 – the GR07 mkII – which is said to remain very true to the sound of the original with some minor tweaks here and there. The GR07 Bass Edition, however, turned out to be different enough to check out.

The Bass Edition is advertised as having – surprise, surprise – more bass than the vanilla GR07. Comparing the Bass Edition to my two-year-old mkI GR07 unit presents far more similarities than differences, but the BE definitely does put more weight on the low end. Bass depth is good but the most noticeable change comes from the increased presence in the mid-bass region, which gives the BE a somewhat fuller, more impactful bass presentation. It still won’t do for proper bassheads, but those who found the original GR07 lacking slightly in the bass department but pleasant otherwise will be thrilled.

The midrange of the BE is very similar to that of the original GR07 – what differences there are all stem from the more prominent bass, which upsets the bass-midrange balance slightly in favor of the low end and makes the midrange sound a touch more recessed. Aside from that, it’s still the good old GR07 – clear, detailed, and open-sounding. Compared to the less expensive GR06, the GR07 BE very obviously sounds clearer, more natural, and less congested despite the greater bass presence.

Moving up into the treble, the GR07 BE again offers the familiar combination of energy and resolution. It’s very similar to my old GR07 here except a touch less sibilant, which is said to be the case for the GR07 mkII as well. The treble is still not as smooth as, for example, that of the Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 earphones but it’s definitely tolerable. The presentation, likewise, is largely unchanged compared to the original GR07, boasting good width and average depth for a spacious sound that is more distant compared to many other dynamic-driver earphones. As expected, instrumental separation is still good and the GR07 BE still provides crisp and detailed sound without sounding “analytical”.

Value (9.5/10) – While it does not deviate from the feature set of the original GR07, the GR07 BE does deliver exactly what it promises – the clear, detailed sound of the popular GR07 with a bump in bass quantity. The bass boost is nothing drastic – bassheads will still find the GR07 BE lacking and fans of more balanced sound still won’t be offended by it. On balance, the more consumer-friendly signature is an asset precisely because the difference is mild enough to retain the strengths of the still-popular GR07. Those seeking a direct upgrade from the GR07 should look elsewhere but for everyone else the GR07 BE is among the most capable sets in its price range.

Pros: A slightly more consumer-friendly take on the familiar GR07 sound; same fit, design, and functionality
Cons: Mildly sibilant on some tracks

Quote:
List is amazing :)

I just have simple question - I like the sound of Koss PortaPro, but I would like to purchase in-ear analogy. Could You recommend some similarly sounding earphones for a reasonable price? I've read lots of reviews, but cannot choose the right ones, because none of them are compared to PortaPro's (which I know how they sound like).

Thank You!

Generally speaking, the PortaPro is warm and smooth-sounding. If we were to assume that "reasonable price" means <$50, I would go for the Dunu Trident. It won't be as clear or open-sounding, but it'll have a similarly warm, smooth, mid-bassy sound on top of its great build quality. If you wanted to spend a little more, the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE (~$80) or Monster Turbine (~$100). A little more than that and you could go for a Fischer Audio Tandem (~$129) or Yamaha EPH-100 (~$149). 

May 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #10,310 of 16,931
Added VSonic R02 Silver and GR07 Bass Edition

Generally speaking, the PortaPro is warm and smooth-sounding. If we were to assume that "reasonable price" means <$50, I would go for the Dunu Trident. It won't be as clear or open-sounding, but it'll have a similarly warm, smooth, mid-bassy sound on top of its great build quality. If you wanted to spend a little more, the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE (~$80) or Monster Turbine (~$100). A little more than that and you could go for a Fischer Audio Tandem (~$129) or Yamaha EPH-100 (~$149). 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Brainwavz M5 and SoundMAGIC E10 fit the bill as well?

May 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #10,311 of 16,931
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Brainwavz M5 and SoundMAGIC E10 fit the bill as well?

They would, but not quite as well as the Trident IMO. The M5 is close but bassier than the PortaPro, so potentially too bassy. The E10 is more v-shaped and has some treble emphasis the PortaPro doesn't share. 

May 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #10,314 of 16,931
It's a glitch with the system when updating the post because of the size of the post (if i'm not mistaken). It'll be back soon.

May 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #10,315 of 16,931
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They would, but not quite as well as the Trident IMO. The M5 is close but bassier than the PortaPro, so potentially too bassy. The E10 is more v-shaped and has some treble emphasis the PortaPro doesn't share. 

Another option might be the FXT90.  Like the PP, it's got warm, slightly aggressive, mid-forward "Grado-esque' character.

May 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #10,316 of 16,931
ljokerl

Hello.
Awesome thread you have here. Had seen it before but since I'm not really a fan of IEMs I didn't pay more attention :wink:. Now, I want to try a couple of IEMs (just because...) and actually asked in other thread about which IEMs were similar to my gear or my faves (MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, Sennheiser HD600s, Ultrasone Signature Pro/DJ)

I got a recommendation for the Hifiman RE-400 which I think will "fit the bill" for the "neutral but with a warm tilt" signature similar to the Senns and MDs. However, for my "bassy" selection to emulate the Signature DJs I was going to choose the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition but instead found a deal for the Denon AH-C300s. I don't see these on your list, nor hardly any reviews so, question, have you tried the Denons? If not, what IEM would you say would deliver something similar to my Signature DJs (or if you haven't tried those Ultrasones, V-Moda M100, Yamaha Pro 500, etc.)?

Thanks!

May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #10,317 of 16,931
Quote:

I like the NT 6 a little better than the Miracle. Generally speaking, it's brighter, clearer, and more crisp. The mids are more present and vocals are more intelligible. The presentation is not as laid-back as with the Miracle, either. There's also a touch more bass impact but not as much as with the JH13. I really like the bass and midrange of the NT 6 but I do prefer the smoother treble of the Miracle, and it's a tough call on which presentation I like best. 

Thanks so much joker.
Now i am going for either NT6 or NT6 Pro, since it might be better than Miracle with its soudstage, bass quantity, bright treble, and a lot more clearer details!
Cheer!

May 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #10,319 of 16,931
Quote:
It's a glitch with the system when updating the post because of the size of the post (if i'm not mistaken). It'll be back soon.

This is correct. The post is too long and takes 24 hours or so to update
redface.gif

Quote:
ljokerl

Hello.
Awesome thread you have here. Had seen it before but since I'm not really a fan of IEMs I didn't pay more attention :wink:. Now, I want to try a couple of IEMs (just because...) and actually asked in other thread about which IEMs were similar to my gear or my faves (MrSpeakers Mad Dogs, Sennheiser HD600s, Ultrasone Signature Pro/DJ)

I got a recommendation for the Hifiman RE-400 which I think will "fit the bill" for the "neutral but with a warm tilt" signature similar to the Senns and MDs. However, for my "bassy" selection to emulate the Signature DJs I was going to choose the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition but instead found a deal for the Denon AH-C300s. I don't see these on your list, nor hardly any reviews so, question, have you tried the Denons? If not, what IEM would you say would deliver something similar to my Signature DJs (or if you haven't tried those Ultrasones, V-Moda M100, Yamaha Pro 500, etc.)?

I am not familiar with the Denon C300s (or the Signature DJs for that matter). The GR07 BE is not super bassy - maybe on-level with my V-Moda M-80. It'll be a good compliment to the RE-400 but if you want bass you can feel through your eardrums you may want to grab something else, like the Yamaha EPH-100. 

Quote:
Thanks so much joker.
Now i am going for either NT6 or NT6 Pro, since it might be better than Miracle with its soudstage, bass quantity, bright treble, and a lot more clearer details!
Cheer!

beerchug.gif

Quote:
joker.
might want to change the 3A30 you have for the BE to 2A30.
confused my search function for a second there till I spotted the error.

That was my bad. Should be fixed now.

May 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #10,320 of 16,931
If the normal tips that come with IEMs irritate me, what type of tips should I get? I see foam tips, and I also see memory foam tips... Which kind and brand of those should I get, if that's what I'm supposed to be getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back