Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8,341 of 16,931
Hey, Joker, I'm looking for some in ears in the $100 range. So far, I've listed down the following:
  1. JVC HA-FXD80
  2. VSonic Gr06
  3. Rock-It Sounds R-30
  4. HiSoundAudio Crystal
  5. Shure SE215
  6. Meelec A151

Can you tell me which one of these to go for? I'll be using them for basically everything. Isolation isn't much of a priority. And I would prefer something on the bassier side.

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #8,342 of 16,931
This thread and this forum is quite addictive.

I am looking for a cheap ($25 and under) headphones with tons of sub-bass and decent clarity. I ordered the FX1X and I find them too bloated (interesting that we share the same opinion, Joker).

My choices are:

JVC FX101
Philips SHE3580
anything else?

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #8,343 of 16,931
Quote:

thanks, my friend think that the bass quantity of klipsch s4 is too much (boomy) for him. do you think that eph-100 has less bass quantity? (as you said in your review, eph-100 has less bass quantity than Monster Miles Davis Trumpet)

The EPH-100 is not exactly bass-light but when it comes to quality there's no comparing it to the Klipsch S4. 

Quote:
Hey, Joker, I'm looking for some in ears in the $100 range. So far, I've listed down the following:
  1. JVC HA-FXD80
  2. VSonic Gr06
  3. Rock-It Sounds R-30
  4. HiSoundAudio Crystal
  5. Shure SE215
  6. Meelec A151

Can you tell me which one of these to go for? I'll be using them for basically everything. Isolation isn't much of a priority. And I would prefer something on the bassier side.

Those are kind of all over the place. If you like your bass I'd go for the SE215/HiSound Crystal (if you prefer warmer tonality) or the FXD80 (if you prefer a cooler/brighter presentation). 

Quote:
This thread and this forum is quite addictive.

I am looking for a cheap ($25 and under) headphones with tons of sub-bass and decent clarity. I ordered the FX1X and I find them too bloated (interesting that we share the same opinion, Joker).

My choices are:

JVC FX101
Philips SHE3580
anything else?

I would go for the SHE3580. It has very good bass depth but the low end is well-controlled. Not as bassy overall as the FX1X/FX101 but still not flat/neutral by any means. An alternative would be the VSonic GR99 (if you can find it in your price range) or the MEElec M9 (not as good as these others but easy to find and heavier on sub-bass than mid-bass). 

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #8,344 of 16,931
Thank you for the response. It must take a lot of dedication and time to do these reviews and answer questions.

I think I will go with the SHE3580. I am not enjoying the FX1X and I suspect the FX101 might be a similar experience for me. I also read about the GR99 and M9, but I won't be able to get those. Only brand names like JVC, Philips, Sony, Klipsch etc are available where I live.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #8,345 of 16,931
Added HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2

Quote:
(2B18) HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2

Added Oct 2012

Details: Wooden flat-cable earphone from HiSound
Current Price: $129 (MSRP: $129)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 110 dB | Freq: 16-23k Hz | Cable: 4.1' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges, Comply T400
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Single-flange (3 sizes), double-flange (3 sizes) and triple-flange silicone tips, hard shell carrying case, and shirt clip
Build Quality (4/5) – The Wooduo 2 utilizes wood and metal housings with flat cables. Everything is very well put together and the cables seem sturdy and are tangle-resistant, though the strain reliefs are a bit stiff for my liking and no cable cinch is present
Isolation (3.5/5) – Good for a dynamic-driver design
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cable-down; better when worn cable-up
Comfort (4/5) – The housings are fairly small and fit comfortably but the flat cable a little stiff and, combined with the lack of a cable cinch, can make over-the-ear wear difficult

Sound (8/10) – The Wooduo 2 is a bass-heavy earphone that manages to retain solid all-around performance by keeping its low end in check and maintaining good clarity and treble presence. Bass impact is excellent and depth is very good – on-par with pricier sets such as the JVC HA-FX500 and FutureSonics Atrio MG7. Listeners who find heavy bass fatiguing will want to stay away but it’s doubtful that even die-hard bassheads will find the Wooduo 2 lacking in low-end presence. Sets such as HiSound’s own Crystal and the VSonic GR06, which are not exactly bass-light, are absolutely trampled by the Wooduo’s visceral, domineering bass. At the same time, while the Wooduo is among the bassier IEMs I’ve heard, its the low end remains surprisingly controlled and clean. It does lack some tightness and detail when compared to an armature-based set such as the Rock-It Sounds R-30 or the higher-end VSonic GR07 but not when pitted against other bass monsters, especially ones in its price bracket.

The midrange of the Wooduo is not as recessed as one might expect from such a bassy earphone – only a little more so than that of the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition. Midrange clarity is very good and the detail level is again respectable, though not as good as with HiSound’s more balanced-sounding Crystal model. Some loss of refinement is expected with this much bass and the Wooduo handles complexity well for an earphone with the sound signature equivalent of a steamroller.

The treble of the Wooduo is more emphasized that the midrange, likely in an attempt to balance out the heavy low end. There is a good amount of sparkle and the Wooduo doesn’t sound as dark as the Atrio earphones or the many other bass-heavy sets with severely recessed treble. The top end of the Wooduo 2 is crisp and well-defined – not in the least bit smeared – and the treble emphasis results in a bit of added clarity compared to sets such as the Rock-It R-30 and HiSound Crystal. The treble does sound a little edgy and can be harsh, especially at higher volumes, but lacks the sibilance-inducing peak of the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition. Extension at the top is good as well, surpassing the GR02 BE slightly.

The soundstage of the Wooduo 2 is above average in size and boasts good air and impressive instrument separation. There are sets with better 3D imaging, such as the Thinksound MS01 and VSonic GR06, but the Wooduo 2 still has good width and decent depth. The soundstage of the Wooduo 2 is larger than that of HiSound’s Crystal model. Interestingly, the sensitivity of the Wooduo is higher as well – the Crystal requires quite a bit more power to reach the same listening level.

Value (8/10) – The HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 is a dream earphone for the bass lover, combining a very deep and powerful low end with good midrange clarity and crisp, if slightly hard-edged treble. Its brute, visceral sound makes it a great signature upgrade for something like a MEElec M9 or JVC FX1X. In addition, the form factor is small and lightweight, and though I am not a fan of the flat cable, it does feel sturdy and resist tangling. Overall, the Wooduo 2 a solid alternative to HiSound’s excellent Crystal model for bass fans in search of a good all-rounder.

Pros: Great bass impact and depth; good clarity
Cons: Treble is a bit edgy; will be too bassy for some; over-the-ear wear can be a challenge with flat cable

Quote:
Thank you for the response. It must take a lot of dedication and time to do these reviews and answer questions.

I think I will go with the SHE3580. I am not enjoying the FX1X and I suspect the FX101 might be a similar experience for me. I also read about the GR99 and M9, but I won't be able to get those. Only brand names like JVC, Philips, Sony, Klipsch etc are available where I live.

Sorry, should have said M9 is readily available in the US. If the SHE3580 is easier to find and you don't mind a decrease in overall bass quantity then by all means go for that.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #8,347 of 16,931
Quote:
Those are kind of all over the place. If you like your bass I'd go for the SE215/HiSound Crystal (if you prefer warmer tonality) or the FXD80 (if you prefer a cooler/brighter presentation). 

Well, yea, I basically just picked the top 6 sub 100 from your list. :p

What about the GR06 or Meelecs? Aren't they bassy too?

PS: I don't really want something analytical. They're gonna be for a non-audiophile.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #8,348 of 16,931
Any suggestions for an IEM that fits this criteria:
1.  < $30
2.  Has pretty good bass, but doesn't have to be massive
3.  Must have a double/triple flange-type tip to fit my ear  (The Meelectronics M9 stock style for example)
4.  Looking for something with warmer/stronger mids than the M9.  
5.  Prefer trebles not to be super bright

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #8,349 of 16,931
Quote:

Well, yea, I basically just picked the top 6 sub 100 from your list. :p

What about the GR06 or Meelecs? Aren't they bassy too?

PS: I don't really want something analytical. They're gonna be for a non-audiophile.

you'd consider the M5 if you want bass
Quote:
Any suggestions for an IEM that fits this criteria:
1.  < $30
2.  Has pretty good bass, but doesn't have to be massive
3.  Must have a flange-type tip to fit my ear  (The Meelectronics M9 stock style for example)
4.  Looking for something with warmer/stronger mids than the M9.  
5.  Prefer trebles not to be super bright

SHE3680

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #8,353 of 16,931
they arent bass monsters. the Eterna were bassier. they have good clarity even being focused on the mid/up bass. but it´d also depend on how loud you use them

that said, i agree the HSA crystal can match your needs. but i´d take the ATHCKM500 instead, if you dont mind the lower isolation than the Crystal. the ckm are much fuller sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back