Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 31, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #7,726 of 16,931
I just recieved my GR02 Bass edition, very nice but I still prefer Brainwavz M1, they soud more natural, the GR02 offers better seal, more bass, that is ok, it has more treble, a little sibilant though, so in my opinion it's not better but the real difference are the mids I think, when I listen to the M1 everything sounds more natural, fuller, it's like when the sound is coming from a larger speaker, the GR02 sounds a little laid back, it doesn't have the body of the M1, I hope someone who heard both understands what I'm saying. The thing is I'm looking for an upgrade over the M1, the GR02 is not what I'm looking for, I want something with a similar sound signature. I also had Soundmagic PL30, really liked those too, except too much mids, not too much bass, not as natural sounding, poor seal, but still the right sound signature, what should I look for? What sounds similar but better? I listen mostly to rock/pop on sansa clip+ rockboxed, flac/mp3 320k.

I would like an M1 with more bass and bass extension but not too much, better treble and treble extension but not sibilant, I don't like the tendancy towards sibilance on GR02, better everything else, a very natural sound, if I close my eyes while I listen to music on these earphones, I want to find myself in the studio where the recording has been made, with the band singing in front of me, that is the ideea right? Am I looking for a balanced or analytical earphone?

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #7,727 of 16,931
I use similar sources and would not consider them low-end, except for the pretty poor built-in EQ, which I leave off. Even with my old ears, the SQ differences that |joker| and ClieOS describe are very discernible.
You prefer music with female vocals plus the piano and classical mentioned,so I'd bet you would get tired of the typical V-sound signature of most mainstream IEMs. Something with forward mids and a more balanced signature might suite you better in the long run.
While I haven't tried Vsonics myself, the GR06 or even better GR07 would probably be excellent. And consider balanced armature IEMs like the Brainwavz B2, Fischer DBA-02, or MEElec A161P (see |joker|'s review of the Fischer SBA-03 as well as Inks' thread). If those exceed your budget, look at the MEElec A151 or very similar sounding Astrotec AM-90. I like the former as my gym phone, and enjoyed the AM-90 before giving it to my daughter.

Hi, thanks for the help,
I am really considering the GR07 now,

But, my biggest concern is the 50 ohm impedance and only 105 sensitivity. Would my source be able to drive it, cause i have no interest in getting an amp yet (I saw some reviews here saying GR07 is great with an amp). Although, my underestimation of my source equips might be reflecting the forums prejudice against Iproducts :wink:

This is a question for everyone who has tried the Vsonic IEMs, i heard the strength of GR07 is in its fidelity. Although I listen to my music closely, i definitely do not work with music professionally. Thus, I am wondering if the GR07 is much better than GR06 for simple enjoyment of music. (since jokers review said GR07 appeals to the professional market) 

the GR07 is not out of my price range, but i definitely would like to know if the extra 100 dollars is making a difference. 

thanks. 

edit: Also, joker said GR07 needs a long burn in, is this true, what does it sound like out of the box, is it really poor?

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #7,728 of 16,931
Quote:
I am ready to buy my first good pair of IEMs now. But, from the noob suggestions, i realized the most important thing is about balance of equips and buying what you use it for.

I am a college student. Currently i really only listen to music on my iphone4s, my Ipad, my computer with no soundcard (integrated), or a coby 757 when I go to the gym.

I realize my source is not audiophile at all, so I am looking at your low end Vsonic IEMs. GR02bass, or GR06, should I even consider GR07?
Could you tell me which of those is the best fit for my source, as in, my source can actually bring out their potential, and they wont expose the flaws of my source.

Also, i guess my fav genre is pop.
Avril lavigne, taylor swift, Mariah carey's "Hate you" is my fav song.
But I also listen to pure piano music and some classical, plus some alt rock(the soft type?)

It really depends on how much you're looking to spend in the end - I wouldn't worry at all about using an iphone or ipad as a source. For general use I think the GR06 might hit the sweet spot as long as you don't require tons of bass. The GR07 would be jumping off the deep end. I know many have been happy with that sort of jump but others (who speak out publicly less often) have been underwhelmed. I personally took my time exploring mid-fi and wouldn't change that if I had to do it all over again. 

Quote:
Hey ljokerl,

Once again - amazing job, thank you for doing what you do. 

One quick question from me:

I've just had my pl50 bail on me after two short months and I'm sad 
frown.gif
. Any chance you could tell me which phones from your list fit this description:

. over-the-ear
. minimum microphonics
. can be flooded with sweat (because I'm prettty sure this is one of the reasons my PLs died)

I'm open to the sound signature although would prefer something either balanced or something warm and deep. Thanks in advance!

I don't think any of the IEMs in this thread aside from the H2O Audio ones were designed to be flooded with sweat. You need something waterproof for that. Better yet, get a disposable earphone for use when you sweat and a nicer one for other occasions. 

Quote:
Would the Shure grey flex go well with the B2s?

Always depends on your ears but I had good results with that combination.

Quote:
I just recieved my GR02 Bass edition, very nice but I still prefer Brainwavz M1, they soud more natural, the GR02 offers better seal, more bass, that is ok, it has more treble, a little sibilant though, so in my opinion it's not better but the real difference are the mids I think, when I listen to the M1 everything sounds more natural, fuller, it's like when the sound is coming from a larger speaker, the GR02 sounds a little laid back, it doesn't have the body of the M1, I hope someone who heard both understands what I'm saying. The thing is I'm looking for an upgrade over the M1, the GR02 is not what I'm looking for, I want something with a similar sound signature. I also had Soundmagic PL30, really liked those too, except too much mids, not too much bass, not as natural sounding, poor seal, but still the right sound signature, what should I look for? What sounds similar but better? I listen mostly to rock/pop on sansa clip+ rockboxed, flac/mp3 320k.

I would like an M1 with more bass and bass extension but not too much, better treble and treble extension but not sibilant, I don't like the tendancy towards sibilance on GR02, better everything else, a very natural sound, if I close my eyes while I listen to music on these earphones, I want to find myself in the studio where the recording has been made, with the band singing in front of me, that is the ideea right? Am I looking for a balanced or analytical earphone?

What you're looking for would probably be called 'musical'. Clearly you need to stay away from v-shaped earphones. You might like one of the higher-end HiFiMan sets - the warmer RE262 or the brighter RE272, the Westone UM3X, or the Shure SE530/SE535.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #7,729 of 16,931
First off Joker I've been reading this forum for weeks now and I love it!! Everyday I learn something new so thank you for helping and doing what you did here its freak'n awesome!!

Ok, guys I need some help.. 

I'm selling/sold my Pro 900's and I'm looking for some high quality I.E.M's... Now lets not get to crazy but I am willing to spend in the $350 range so I do it right the first time (lets hope) I tend to learn towards the bass heavier cans... Who am I kidding I'm a bass head!! If it don't wobble I dont like it!! 
basshead.gif
 All kidding aside I already know that if it doesn't have the right sound I won't like it so out of the choices I have here (and others of course if you can think of something) which would you say is going to make me the happiest. Now please understand I'm sort of a sophisticated bass head (if there is such a think) so I understand that these aren't going to shake my skull but I would like the pair that has the cleanest, punchiest, and fastest bass to keep up with the music and movies I watch. So what do you guys think!! I have a e11 and that will also be upgraded soon once I find the right portable amp. If you have suggestions on that too that would be awesome!!

Here's what I'm considering..

GR07 - $179
SM3 V2 - $349
RE 262 - $149 (maybe) 
Velodyne vPulse - $89
Fischer Eterna - ?? (very hard to find a place that will ship to the US and is trustworthy.. 
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 - $169

Thanks again guys, 

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #7,730 of 16,931
Are the comply tips (T400) like the JVC Marshmallow tips? I fear these are the only kind of tips I can stomach for prolonged periods.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,733 of 16,931
Quote:

Quote:
What you're looking for would probably be called 'musical'. Clearly you need to stay away from v-shaped earphones. You might like one of the higher-end HiFiMan sets - the warmer RE262 or the brighter RE272, the Westone UM3X, or the Shure SE530/SE535.

Something less expensive? How about Brainwavz M2 or a balanced armature like Astrotec AM-90/Meelec A151, I've been reading about them, never heard a balanced armature before, do they share something with M1?

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #7,734 of 16,931
you said you made up your mind , dont think so much man , just pick one and stick to it , or you can buy them all
wink_face.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #7,735 of 16,931
cibibikeru , never heard a m1 , but how much balanced sound you want , cuz a151 is really balanced , it wont do much bass , not like the gr02 , may be 40% of the gr02 . you have a gr02 and m1 , buying a nice BA with nice clarity wont hurt , these are going at nearly $50 , and really nice value . the a151 will do nice clarity all over the spectrum .

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #7,738 of 16,931
DemonFox have you seen the variation in the price of your prefered earphones , sm 03 to eterna ? really ? yeah bass head okay , tf10 dont have huge rumble , gr07 is nearly same , just a bit thick , re 262 dose nearly same , cant say about sm or velodyne , but the eterna dose the biggest bass of these all . so i would say , why settle for one when you can have two or three ? get the tf10 and gr07 ( needs extensive burnin 100 hrs ) and squeeze in the eterna or vplus . or you can get the turbine pro gold  , rp-hje-900 .

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #7,739 of 16,931
If I was looking for a similar IEM to replace the original Phonak PFE (used with gray filters) with a budget of $150, would the DBA-02/Brainwavz B2 be a good choice? My PFEs just broke and I've loved everything about them from first listen, but sadly their  price has been raised and I'm a broke college student so those extra $30 puts them out of my range 
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #7,740 of 16,931
you are messing it up , you know ask anyone , none of the earphones are perfect ( joker says um miracle are perfect for him , i cant even think of them after seeing the price ) , so find one with good service support , and what you want from it , it seems your stuck at the dtx 101 , get them , they are not bad , but you said you need some less bass and more clarity , for that , dont think , just go for cc51 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back