Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #7,351 of 16,931
Great thread Joker. As a complete noob to the IEM world this was the perfect place for me in the search of a perfect headphone. After countless hours of research, I narrowed my decision down to the VSonic GR02 Bass edition ones, mainly because of its great price/performance ratio. Now, the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on these is their performance in the heavy rock/metal genre. It's not that I've read that they are bad in that field or anything, it's just that due to them being new and quite unpopular I can't really find any info on how good they are for my particular taste in music. Basically, I would really appreciate if you could tell me if they are suitable for such a metalhead like me? I'm asking you this because I've read somewhere that you include metal songs in your testing playlist, so I think you are capable of giving me the feedback I want. If it's of any importance, I mainly listen to melodeath,death,black and extreme power subgenres.
Thanks.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #7,353 of 16,931
gerasalus , if you want bass , go for cc51 , m4 is good too , i know what happened to you with the soundmagic E30 , and this is the case with me too , low is good , mids are better but it lacks the high end badly  ( the spark which some low end iems like hje120 and she 3580 havent missed ). for that thing i can assure you cc51 , ue 600 and xb41ex will do for you , but for bass i think xb41ex and the brainwavz m4 will do your job . exclude the beyerdyns out . cant say about the akg . safe bet go for m4 or cc51 .

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #7,354 of 16,931
Probably a JVC FX101 too, anything dsnuts picks has really good bass and treble and the FX101 is a bassier set among them.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #7,355 of 16,931
Hey joker, my friend is looking to buy a fairly cheap IEM and he's stuck betwenn the VSonic GR99 and the Astrotec AM-90, which would you recommend? He likes rock and accoustic parts, the voice of the singer is very important to him and bass isn't very important.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #7,356 of 16,931
@joker

Which is the most neutral signature earphone without sounding lean, bright/edgy treble?

I am feeling that it's the VSonic GR01 is what I am looking at? or you have any better recommendation for me according to what I mentioned I want in a sound?

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #7,358 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker, it would be nice if you mentioned the "value" of the headphones just beside each one of them in the list you have used to categorise them according to their price range. I often get confused which phone is over where repeatedly and it would be nice if I could use the "value" just as a cross-reference. Saves a lot of time. Just an advice though.

The value rating is excluded because it is the most subjective of all the ratings and also makes it a little too easy for someone to make a decision based on the chart, which is something I've never wanted to encourage. It's really not that difficult to judge value based on overall chart position & SQ score vs price - for example things that I consider universally great value, such as the VSonic GR99/GR02/GR06/GR07, HiFiMan 262/272, Fischer DBA-02, Astrotec AM-90, MEElec M6, Monoprice 8320, etc fall far above most other sets in their price ranges. That still doesn't mean everyone will like them best for the price, however, which is why I encourage doing far more research than just looking at the chart.

Quote:
Hi all,

my old AKG K319 which i loved for few years broke few months ago. So after reading head-fi.org IEM comparison i bought SoundMagic E30 (best value for the price, bla bla. etc.) and frankly saying i was not impressed. They lacked that detailed sound my old K319 had. Fortunately (or maybe not) i managed to loose them, so now i have an excuse to get something better. I do not want so spend a fortune on this (AKG K319 were a bit pricier than E30), but i want to get something more than E30 gave me.

So .. was thinking about Brainwavz M4, BeyerDynamic DTX 71 iE or AKG K340 (those are now hugely discounted, but i have doubts about durability, a lot of negative reviews about short life span). Any thoughts? I am kind of mainstream listener leaning a bit more towards Soft Rock, Indie and sometimes Minimal/Electro.

I don't know anything about the M4 but the K340 is a pretty outdated design. I don't know how detailed the K319 is but if you're looking for maximum detail on a budget and don't mind a severely v-shaped sound signature the JVC FX40 might do it for you.

Quote:
Great thread Joker. As a complete noob to the IEM world this was the perfect place for me in the search of a perfect headphone. After countless hours of research, I narrowed my decision down to the VSonic GR02 Bass edition ones, mainly because of its great price/performance ratio. Now, the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on these is their performance in the heavy rock/metal genre. It's not that I've read that they are bad in that field or anything, it's just that due to them being new and quite unpopular I can't really find any info on how good they are for my particular taste in music. Basically, I would really appreciate if you could tell me if they are suitable for such a metalhead like me? I'm asking you this because I've read somewhere that you include metal songs in your testing playlist, so I think you are capable of giving me the feedback I want. If it's of any importance, I mainly listen to melodeath,death,black and extreme power subgenres.
Thanks.

They work fine if you don't mind your metal on the bassy side. My personal listening has a good proportion of metal (from the classics to 80s thrash to modern post-metal) and I didn't mind the GR02 considering that their sound is not my preferred signature.

Quote:
Probably a JVC FX101 too, anything dsnuts picks has really good bass and treble and the FX101 is a bassier set among them.

I don't know about the FX101 but I got the chance to hear an FX1X recently and it was one of the more bloated-sounding IEMs I've heard in a while.

Quote:
Hey joker, my friend is looking to buy a fairly cheap IEM and he's stuck betwenn the VSonic GR99 and the Astrotec AM-90, which would you recommend? He likes rock and accoustic parts, the voice of the singer is very important to him and bass isn't very important.

The AM-90 is a lot more vocal-centric than the GR99. Probably the better choice here.

Quote:
@joker

Which is the most neutral signature earphone without sounding lean, bright/edgy treble?

I am feeling that it's the VSonic GR01 is what I am looking at? or you have any better recommendation for me according to what I mentioned I want in a sound?

That really depends on where your personal tolerances lie. The GR01 is only a bit fuller-sounding than other TWFK-based earphones - on the overall spectrum it's still pretty darn close to the DBA-02/CK10/etc. 

Quote:
I keep coming back to this thread again and again. Such a great source for information. Great work joker!

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #7,359 of 16,931
Quote:

The NE-6 isn't exactly king of treble either, so I think you'll be fine. If you want more prominent treble and don't mind more recessed mids, you can grab a VSonic GR02 Bass Edition instead.

Well, depends on the comparison of NuForce 6, if the average is what the NuForce could do ... I know it's hard to make these comparisons ...

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #7,361 of 16,931
Quote:
Is there an IEM that has similar musical qualities and overall perceived bass quantities as the Yamaha EPH-100, but with more sub-bass and slightly less mid-bass?

An EPH-100 with a sub-bass EQ boost and a slight mid-bass EQ cut?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #7,362 of 16,931
Quote:

That really depends on where your personal tolerances lie. The GR01 is only a bit fuller-sounding than other TWFK-based earphones - on the overall spectrum it's still pretty darn close to the DBA-02/CK10/etc. 

What I want is the is the most neutral signature earphone without sounding lean, bright/edgy treble.

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #7,365 of 16,931
Hi joker or anyone who might know, please kindly let me know the difference between the Ety HF2 and HF3. Are they the same phone with just a mic function for Android and Apple phones. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back