Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #7,381 of 16,931
Quote:
Is there an IEM that has similar musical qualities and overall perceived bass quantities as the Yamaha EPH-100, but with more sub-bass and slightly less mid-bass?

Not that I'm aware of. The Atrio MG7 has more sub-bass and less mid-bass it may end up not having enough mid-bass for you. It is also less strong in the midrange and less musical than the Yamaha. EQing might indeed be the best bet.

Quote:

What I want is the is the most neutral signature earphone without sounding lean, bright/edgy treble.

The problem is that you need a benchmark (or, preferably, several) to know what is too lean, too bright, or too edgy for you. I thought the Yamaha EPH-100 was pretty safe on the treble front but if you read back a few pages there have been some who even found that to be too trebly. A safe choice if you're worried about these things would be something like a Westone UM3X or even W4 but that's a different price range entirely. 

Quote:
I have a question, I got the 8320s at your suggestion, and I really love them. But, I really wish they were smoother on the back, those jagged edges hurt like hell! Is there anything in the ~$20 range (a little bit more is okay) that sounds just as sweet but has a smoother back side with fewer jagged edges? I've got about 15 hrs of transit coming up and could use something to block out the world.

Thanks!

Have to wonder how thick the housings are - perhaps a file and some sandpaper is all you really need...

I don't think anything I've heard performs quite as well as the Monoprice with a similar signature in that price range - that's what makes the Monoprice special (aside from the terrible ergonomics). If you're willing to give up a little clarity, perhaps you can try finding a MEElec CW31 for <$25. It's got a nice and 'safe' signature - very smooth, a touch of bass enhancement - but more importantly is very small and comfortable. 

Quote:
I just thought I'd post it. I emailed monoprice and asked that if they work closely with their manufacturers, and it was possible, that they perhaps redesign the 8320 very slightly. First, a smooth back to the case. It can be the same shape internally, but remove the sharp edges, and replace the microphonic cable with something slightly nicer. They said they would compile user feedback and consider a redesign!

The 8320 is likely an off-the-shelf OEM design from a company called OVC in China (they used to sell a few IEM/headphone models under their own brand). I highly doubt a redesign will happen considering it's sold for just $7 but we can hope...

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #7,382 of 16,931
Quote:

Your SE5 has more treble and bass than the GR07?  That worries me a bit.  Starting to sound U shaped....

Also starting to remind me of the different impressions of the ES5.

More treble, but in a better way - far better extension, no sibilance. There's no artificial boost actually.

Bass is mostly better due to being more subbass focused and far cleaner with better reverberation. The amount is not a *lot* higher in general.

If anything, SE-5 are the inverse of mid-centric, not U-shaped in the usual sense (with bass boost and high boost). To my ears they're close to linear with slight upper mid and high treble accents (not emphasis) giving a slightly shimmering presentation.
GR07 is more U-shaped than SE-5 due to slightly recessed midrange, sibilance, reduced high extension and with slight "boxy" upper bass emphasis, while RE272 is quite a bit more mid-centric and forward, bell like, with rolled off bass.

Of note: Zen Stone cannot actually drive them either, gets slightly but noticeably rolled off. (Lacking power to drive high impedance?)
So the only thing I have right now that's capable of driving them straight out of the jack is the old iRivier T30. (I bet E7 and E17 can do this.)
FP10 lacks the power too w/ the adapter - same w/ HDA Audio and its chip amp. (HDA can be equalized to nigh-perfect though.)
Really, these IEMs do need a nigh-perfect source for best effect.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7,383 of 16,931
Quote:

The problem is that you need a benchmark (or, preferably, several) to know what is too lean, too bright, or too edgy for you. I thought the Yamaha EPH-100 was pretty safe on the treble front but if you read back a few pages there have been some who even found that to be too trebly. A safe choice if you're worried about these things would be something like a Westone UM3X or even W4 but that's a different price range entirely.   

I've ordered Yamaha EPH-100 after your review and waiting for them to receive If I do ever
rolleyes.gif
. Will tell you by then.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #7,385 of 16,931
Quote:

The 8320 is likely an off-the-shelf OEM design from a company called OVC in China (they used to sell a few IEM/headphone models under their own brand). I highly doubt a redesign will happen considering it's sold for just $7 but we can hope...

You are right, here they are: http://www.ocvaco.com/products_Audio_Earphones_EP933.html

But, OVC makes a zillion earphones: http://www.ocvaco.com/products_Audio.html

(and headphones, like the monoprice full size cans, and some really beautiful all metal cans)

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #7,386 of 16,931
Quote:

The NE-6 isn't exactly king of treble either, so I think you'll be fine. If you want more prominent treble and don't mind more recessed mids, you can grab a VSonic GR02 Bass Edition instead.

Well, depends on the comparison of NuForce 6, if the average is what the NuForce could do ... I know it's hard to make these comparisons ..

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #7,387 of 16,931
rockit sounds r-50 ? twfk based and only 120$ ..

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #7,388 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, depends on the comparison of NuForce 6, if the average is what the NuForce could do ... I know it's hard to make these comparisons ..

As I said, if you were okay with the treble of the NE-6, I think the M2 will be fine. I really don't have anything else to add - it's been too long since I've heard an NE-6 to make any sort of detailed comparison. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #7,389 of 16,931
Hey joker et al., i'm looking for a nice complementary set of iems to my lune recabled tf10s. In particular i'm looking for something that does mids and/or sub-bass well (not necessarily in the same set). I've been trying the atrio mg7s out, but I'd rather sacrifice a bit of sub bass for some more action in the mids (maybe miles davis phones?). In terms of headphones that do mids particularly well, i've heard that earsonics SM3s and westone um3x are great (but quite up there in price), and re262 (but probably need to be amped). What do you think? How's the soundstage on these, or others that i might have missed?

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #7,392 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker et al., i'm looking for a nice complementary set of iems to my lune recabled tf10s. In particular i'm looking for something that does mids and/or sub-bass well (not necessarily in the same set). I've been trying the atrio mg7s out, but I'd rather sacrifice a bit of sub bass for some more action in the mids (maybe miles davis phones?). In terms of headphones that do mids particularly well, i've heard that earsonics SM3s and westone um3x are great (but quite up there in price), and re262 (but probably need to be amped). What do you think? How's the soundstage on these, or others that i might have missed?

The RE262 is very good if you like your mids clean, yet fuller-sounding. Subbass isn't great but the soundstage is more spacious than you'd get with a set of Atrios. The EPH-100 also has very good mids IMO, as well as better subbass reach compared to the RE262 and a nicely layered soundstage. The MD Tributes have thicker, lusher mids and more bass still but the drop in clarity/increase in bleed from TF10s would also be more noticeable compared to an RE262 or EPH-100. If you're looking for the most contrast to the TF10s these might be it but otherwise I'd give them a pass, not to mention at that price you've not got much left to go to an SM2/SM3, UM3X, or maybe even SE535.

Quote:
ljokerl, you can now remove the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet and the Yamaha EPH-100 from your "In progress" list... 
wink.gif

Yes, I realized I forgot and then got lazy and decided to put it off until the next update
rolleyes.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7,393 of 16,931
Quote:

Yes, I realized I forgot and then got lazy and decided to put it off until the next update
rolleyes.gif

My heart always flutter when you say "next update" 
tongue.gif

I always enjoy reading your thorough review

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #7,394 of 16,931
Quote:

The RE262 is very good if you like your mids clean, yet fuller-sounding. Subbass isn't great but the soundstage is more spacious than you'd get with a set of Atrios. The EPH-100 also has very good mids IMO, as well as better subbass reach compared to the RE262 and a nicely layered soundstage. The MD Tributes have thicker, lusher mids and more bass still but the drop in clarity/increase in bleed from TF10s would also be more noticeable compared to an RE262 or EPH-100. If you're looking for the most contrast to the TF10s these might be it but otherwise I'd give them a pass, not to mention at that price you've not got much left to go to an SM2/SM3, UM3X, or maybe even SE535.

Yes, I suppose that's true that the difference between the MD Tributes and some of the others (SM2/3, UM3X) isn't that great. Are the SM2 and SM3 quite similar? Also I noticed that the XBA-4 are available somewhere for just over 200, which makes them another interesting choice, but not sure how complementary it would be to the TF10s in terms of mids and sub-bass?

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #7,395 of 16,931
Quote:
Yes, I suppose that's true that the difference between the MD Tributes and some of the others (SM2/3, UM3X) isn't that great. Are the SM2 and SM3 quite similar? Also I noticed that the XBA-4 are available somewhere for just over 200, which makes them another interesting choice, but not sure how complementary it would be to the TF10s in terms of mids and sub-bass?

And I should mention that a pair of Refurbished MD Tributes can be had for just over 100 bucks, which makes them interesting as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back