Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #6,766 of 16,931

Quote:
hi i looked at you chart very informative and helped me narrow down some of my choices i like the shure se215 and vsonic gr06. I really like the design and built of the se and the bass is suited to my needs but i hear the gr06 can compete with this for less. Im  no audiophile i just want to have fun listening to my music Not a true bass head i love punchy and tight bass not boomy and muddy bass. Also i hear the shure and westone style earphones are best if your laying in bed or fall asleep are the best in terms of comfort is it true

The GR06 is no less comfortable than the SE215 IMO - the housings are more ergonomic than they look. Sound-wise, the two are comparable but the GR06 has slightly less bass and more midrange. Neither is muddy or boomy but if you want the Shures just get them - I doubt they'll disappoint.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #6,769 of 16,931
Well, fate brought me FXT90 instead...
I found a cheap slightly used pair of FXT90 and decided to purchase it...

Timbre is very very good.... Guitar is really amazing on these.... 

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #6,771 of 16,931
Looking to get a gift for a friend. For someone who likes the Klipsch S4 sound, what would be considered a good upgrade that maintains the "consumer-friendly" sound with ample bass and added clarity?

From perusing the reviews (great job, Joker), it seems like the most appealing options would be:

1. Shure SE215
  2. Velodyne vPulse
  3. Atrio MG7

Which of the above would be the safest bet? Any others I should be looking at?

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #6,772 of 16,931

Quote:
I noticed on this list that the Ety HF5's are listed as having a mic option, but I cant find this anywhere - It looks like the HF3 and below have them. Can anyone point me to something showing otherwise?

The HF2, HF3 and HF5 are all the same earphone - the 2 has a mic, the 3 has an iPhone-specific remote, the 5 has no mic.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #6,773 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker...I realised just now that you've never heard the PFE 232's?
if so, I think you might rate them quite highly vs the PFE 122s

I have one on loan, though the review might be a little delayed because I need to spend extra time with the K3003 and other high-end stuff.

Quote:
Well, fate brought me FXT90 instead...
I found a cheap slightly used pair of FXT90 and decided to purchase it...

Timbre is very very good.... Guitar is really amazing on these.... 

At the very least it's another data point in figuring out your ultimate sound.

Quote:
Looking to get a gift for a friend. For someone who likes the Klipsch S4 sound, what would be considered a good upgrade that maintains the "consumer-friendly" sound with ample bass and added clarity?

From perusing the reviews (great job, Joker), it seems like the most appealing options would be:

1. Shure SE215
  2. Velodyne vPulse
  3. Atrio MG7

Which of the above would be the safest bet? Any others I should be looking at?

The SE215 and vPulse don't really have that treble emphasis that gives the S4 the extra clarity  and energy but are both good options otherwise. The MG7 is better overall IMO but it lacks the mid-bass hump of the S4 so it may not be boomy enough for the average consumer. I don't know what your price cap is but I'd say JVC FX500 and ATH-CKM99 might be worth looking at as ~$150 options. The id America Spark and Fischer Audio Consonance are more budget-conscious but remind me of the S4 more than the vPulse or SE215 do.

Quote:

The HF2, HF3 and HF5 are all the same earphone - the 2 has a mic, the 3 has an iPhone-specific remote, the 5 has no mic.

This - Etymotic uses a numbering system in place of the usual suffixes.

May 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #6,774 of 16,931
I am looking for something better than the HF5, since I sold my JH16. It was a love hate relationship with it, in my case, the build and comfort wasn't terribly good, and the sound was a tad too bassy for my liking. 

I had the IE8 and SM3 and sold both of them. The IE8 had too much of a midbass hump and a midrange that is too distant sounding. The SM3 for me, was too thick and lacking air, especially in the midrange. The only iem that I really liked was the FX-700, but the treble would cause fatigue after some time. The lack of isolation was another problem, because it made me turn up the volume, which in turn caused fatigue. If the treble was slightly less tilt up and less grainy, I would have kept the FX-700. I also like the Ety HF5 which I bought 3 years ago, but it's a bit too thin sounding, and the high amount of treble, albeit smooth, can be fatiguing.

So ljokerl, for something less than $300, what would you recommend? I need good isolation and comfort, and in terms of sound I want coherence, balance, and transparency. I see that you rate the CK-10 highly, but some people appear to not like it as much as you. Do you still rate it as high as it was a year ago?

What are some of the best dynamic driver iems, apart from the FX-700? I haven't heard a lot of earphones, but not many have come close to achieving what my headphone can do. I would like to find something that sound as good as it, but it seems that I won't be able to find one easily without spending a lot.

May 1, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #6,775 of 16,931

Quote:
I am looking for something better than the HF5, since I sold my JH16. It was a love hate relationship with it, in my case, the build and comfort wasn't terribly good, and the sound was a tad too bassy for my liking. 

I had the IE8 and SM3 and sold both of them. The IE8 had too much of a midbass hump and a midrange that is too distant sounding. The SM3 for me, was too thick and lacking air, especially in the midrange. The only iem that I really liked was the FX-700, but the treble would cause fatigue after some time. The lack of isolation was another problem, because it made me turn up the volume, which in turn caused fatigue. If the treble was slightly less tilt up and less grainy, I would have kept the FX-700. I also like the Ety HF5 which I bought 3 years ago, but it's a bit too thin sounding, and the high amount of treble, albeit smooth, can be fatiguing.

So ljokerl, for something less than $300, what would you recommend? I need good isolation and comfort, and in terms of sound I want coherence, balance, and transparency. I see that you rate the CK-10 highly, but some people appear to not like it as much as you. Do you still rate it as high as it was a year ago?

What are some of the best dynamic driver iems, apart from the FX-700? I haven't heard a lot of earphones, but not many have come close to achieving what my headphone can do. I would like to find something that sound as good as it, but it seems that I won't be able to find one easily without spending a lot.

I am still very much impressed by the CK10 whenever I get a chance to use it. The linear extension of the bass and the amount of texture and detail it puts out is fantastic (especially for a mere dual BA) and the imaging is still pretty much the best I've heard from a universal. However, it is rather less neutral than the HF5 in the treble so I would not recommend it at all in your case.

I am actually not aware of an earphone that fits all of your requirements, especially not for under $300. The only dynamic-driver IEM I would put on-par with the FX700 overall is the Sony EX1000 but that will probably be too bright for you. The Westone 4 and SE535 both come to mind as smooth, non-fatiguing sets that aren't overly thick like the SM3 but they are quite pricy. The RE272, while smoother than the EX1000, might be too thin and both it and the RE262 don't have anywhere near the bass quantity of an FX700. Ditto on the ACS T15 - great Ety-like sound with a touch less high end but really not nearly as bassy as an FX700 and rather restrained in terms of dynamics.

With the signature you want and under $300 you would probably have to settle for something that trades off a bit of technical prowess for the right signature. I think you may like the Yamaha EPH-100 and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to try. You would probably also like the Ortofon e-Q7 but I believe it's been discontinued in favor of the brighter e-Q5. 

May 1, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #6,776 of 16,931

Quote:
The SE215 and vPulse don't really have that treble emphasis that gives the S4 the extra clarity  and energy but are both good options otherwise. The MG7 is better overall IMO but it lacks the mid-bass hump of the S4 so it may not be boomy enough for the average consumer. I don't know what your price cap is but I'd say JVC FX500 and ATH-CKM99 might be worth looking at as ~$150 options. The id America Spark and Fischer Audio Consonance are more budget-conscious but remind me of the S4 more than the vPulse or SE215 do.

Thanks for the reply. What about the thinksound ts02? Forgot to include them in my original list.

Price cap is around $100. The Spark sounds like it might be a good upgrade given the similar sound signature to the S4.

May 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #6,779 of 16,931

Quote:

I am still very much impressed by the CK10 whenever I get a chance to use it. The linear extension of the bass and the amount of texture and detail it puts out is fantastic (especially for a mere dual BA) and the imaging is still pretty much the best I've heard from a universal. However, it is rather less neutral than the HF5 in the treble so I would not recommend it at all in your case.

I am actually not aware of an earphone that fits all of your requirements, especially not for under $300. The only dynamic-driver IEM I would put on-par with the FX700 overall is the Sony EX1000 but that will probably be too bright for you. The Westone 4 and SE535 both come to mind as smooth, non-fatiguing sets that aren't overly thick like the SM3 but they are quite pricy. The RE272, while smoother than the EX1000, might be too thin and both it and the RE262 don't have anywhere near the bass quantity of an FX700. Ditto on the ACS T15 - great Ety-like sound with a touch less high end but really not nearly as bassy as an FX700 and rather restrained in terms of dynamics.

With the signature you want and under $300 you would probably have to settle for something that trades off a bit of technical prowess for the right signature. I think you may like the Yamaha EPH-100 and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to try. You would probably also like the Ortofon e-Q7 but I believe it's been discontinued in favor of the brighter e-Q5. 

Thanks for the advice. I have narrowed down to the e-Q5, GR-07 and am looking at the Yamaha EPH-100. I don't really like the shape of the dual flange tips though. How do these 3 compare to each other?

I don't have the FX-700 now, but if I have it I might think that it's slightly bassy. And I do have the Ety HF5, which have slightly less bass quantity than what I consider as natural sounding. I am also looking at the RE-272, but I am just worried about the cable hardening issue on some of the Hifiman earphones.

May 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #6,780 of 16,931

Quote:

At the very least it's another data point in figuring out your ultimate sound.

Yes it is!
I really really love the timbre on this...

On a different note, I just bought a brand-new unopened PX100 for 25$.... (I don't know where the hell the seller got it from)
These are really not bad! Although, of course, isolation isn't on par with any of my IEM's... but I like it!
It's lightweight, and portable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back