Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #6,377 of 16,931
Quote:
The sound is the same, by all accounts I've heard. Add extra points for comfort and a replaceable cable; seems like easy enough math.

Yep, the guys at Earsonics said so themselves. Until a couple weeks ago, I thought there might be differences (I've only heard the V2) because the stated specs were different, but it turned out that they were just typos.

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #6,378 of 16,931

Quote:
The top end of the DBA-02 mkII is crisp and extended. The resolution of the TWFK driver is immense – even the VSonic GR07 fails to sound all that clean and effortless next to the DBA-02. Compared to the original DBA-02, the mkII seems to have been tuned for slightly more relaxed treble, but in reality it is only a hair less sibilant on a few tracks. Otherwise it sounds sparkly and energetic, as the original did – less ‘hot’ than the ATH-CK10 but still not quite as smooth as the VSonic GR01. Treble extension is good and yet there’s none of the sheen or shimmer present at the top end of some other BA-based universals, resulting in fairly realistic timbre with no metallic treble edge.

Hi Joker; can you please explain the difference between sparkle and "sheen and shimmer?"

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #6,379 of 16,931
I'm wondering if there's any Multi BA's that matches the bass of the FXT90 in both quantity/quality and has at least a slightly more enveloping soundstage, with greater detail and between the price range of $200-350?

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #6,380 of 16,931

Quote:
Hi Joker; can you please explain the difference between sparkle and "sheen and shimmer?"

I tend to think of it as an extended decay in the treble region, like a reflection off a shiny object.  Curious how others interpret that.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6,381 of 16,931

Quote:
great joker!! thanks for the mkii review
etysmile.gif
 (actually, they're cheaper on gd-audiobase...)

(and nice B2 pic addition)

Interesting, I was told the MSRP would go up compared to the mkI.  You can thank Anaxilus for loaning me his B2 for DBA-02 comparisons and photos 
wink.gif
. Couldn't find B2 on mp4nation's site anymore, though
frown.gif

Quote:
Do you think that the slightly toned-down treble has in part compromised the 'spirit' of the DBA-02? I guess I'm biased as a Mk. I owner, but when I heard the Mk. II, it seemed like a purposeful compromise of the TWFK's abilities in order to satisfy a broader audience. The problem is, most people just couldn't handle the DBA-02 --- it handled them. I don't know how much the DBA-02 MK II improves things in that regard. I do like the new ergonomic changes a lot, with the exception of the missing neck cinch... but to me it's a shame to have compromised that incredibly aggressive sound especially when the new version might not win over many more fans.

I guess that will depend on who you ask (see below). Out of all the TWFKs I've heard the DBA-02 and DBA-02 mkII are still the closest to each other in performance & signature (I would say the mkII takes a half-step towards the q-JAYS sound while the mkI is a half-step closer to the CK10). I think 90% of those who didn't like the original DBA still won't like the new one and more than a few will prefer the old one. However, without the ability to A:B them or extended ownership of the original DBA-02, I really don't think most potential purchasers would be able to tell them apart having only read others' impressions.

Quote:
Thanks for the DBA-02 mkii review joker. I liked the mkii much better than the first version, but I didnt get enough time auditioning to see how much better it was.

beerchug.gif

Quote:
hi! i'm really new to the scene and i was wondering how you would rate the ultimate ears 700? i have an meelec a151 and brainwavz m4 on the way. would the ue 700 round up my phones? or should i just go straight for ue 700?
currently just on jvc fxc80. looking to upgrade.

I put the original UE700 almost on-par with the q-JAYS and Phiaton PS200 but the new (logitech-branded) ones sound better, a little less shrill at the top and not as texture-less. Probably a little above the q-JAYS/PS200. It's a very different sound from the A151 (more like an armature version of an FXC80 with less bass). If you end up liking the A151 but wishing for a much brighter sound with a larger soundstage, the UE700 is probably worth looking at. I have not heard the M4.

Quote:
Excellent review of the MKII, joker.. Being an MKI owner, you answered most all my questions about the MKII.  I think tomscy2000 most definitely has a good point about toning the treble down a bit as 'sacrificing' some of the charm that made the original DBA such a hit.  I personally never had a problem with treble sharpness/sibilance (unless the recording called for it) as long as a good, deep seal was achieved.

I've had my DBA reshelled & would very much like to audition the MKII to see how it stacks up cause the reshelled DBA's sound a little more refined to my ears than their universal incarnate (refinement that goes beyond just improved isolation).

That can probably be arranged - sent you a PM.

Quote:
When I had the B2 I was very pleasantly surprised at the bass extension, good impact and texture too, and really was pretty balanced in the presenetation. The way people talk about single and dual BA's I half expected that whole part of the frequency response to just not be there, like the floor dropping out from under that portion of the graph.
They just gave me a pretty painful vacuum seal and didn't quite have the soundstage presentation I was looking for. Otherwise, I can see why they are regarded as highly as they are (I'm extrapolating my B2 experience to the DBA-02's).
Great review Joker.

Thanks! Certainly no huge problems with bottom-end extension for any of the TWFK-based phones but some (ahem.. PS200) lose body quicker than others. 

Quote:

At least the way they are used in this context, they refer to a lack of texture/smoothed-over sound in the treble region. For examples see something like a CK100 or UE700 compared to a dryer/more textured set like the DBA-02 or Westone 3.

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's any Multi BA's that matches the bass of the FXT90 in both quantity/quality and has at least a slightly more enveloping soundstage, with greater detail and between the price range of $200-350?

Different presentations but the Earsonics SM2, SM3 and Westone UM3X, W3 all have good bass and very good detail overall.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #6,382 of 16,931
Hi Joker, You have created a monster :) One of the most informative posts ever! Still gulping it down...

Bit new here, wanted your recommendation on buys - m looking for a couple of pair of earphones with distinct sound signature - one with more accurate reproduction (preferably not too boring) and another with the fun of listeningNot sure how much i could convey, hope u got the picture!

Preference for durability and longevity, Budget less than $ 120 . Till now my best buy has been Brainwavz M1. Will be driving them from Lap, Ipod, Normal Mp3. 

I have narrowed it down but you are most welcome to suggest otherwise
Ety HF5, MC5, RE0, Eterna and Xears TD-III Blackwood v2. I will buy 2 if the total is around 120-130 dollars. 

Would be great if u can help me out.. thanks. Best

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #6,383 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Different presentations but the Earsonics SM2, SM3 and Westone UM3X, W3 all have good bass and very good detail overall.

Thanks for the tip.
wink_face.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #6,384 of 16,931
Joker, thanks a million for the entry level IEM giveaway lucky draw--I see I've won third
biggrin.gif
So I was looking through the phones you're giving away and noticed something--why are you giving away the UE 100 before you've even finished reviewing it?
eek.gif

If you still remember the graphs I posted

(FR graphs relative to my ideal: SHE3580-red, Etys-black)

Do you think there's anything in your draw that will suit my tastes for a neutral or mid-forward set with smooth / polite highs?  From your reviews I think the CX21P or if that's taken by my turn maybe the Aodia i100 or M2P?  The UE 100 is the one I don't know anything about at this point
etysmile.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #6,386 of 16,931

Quote:
Interesting, I was told the MSRP would go up compared to the mkI.  You can thank Anaxilus for loaning me his B2 for DBA-02 comparisons and photos 
wink.gif
. Couldn't find B2 on mp4nation's site anymore, though
frown.gif

According to their online customer support (which has not let me astray yet), they are getting in a new batch next month sometime.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #6,387 of 16,931

Quote:
Hi Joker, You have created a monster :) One of the most informative posts ever! Still gulping it down...

Bit new here, wanted your recommendation on buys - m looking for a couple of pair of earphones with distinct sound signature - one with more accurate reproduction (preferably not too boring) and another with the fun of listeningNot sure how much i could convey, hope u got the picture!

Preference for durability and longevity, Budget less than $ 120 . Till now my best buy has been Brainwavz M1. Will be driving them from Lap, Ipod, Normal Mp3. 

I have narrowed it down but you are most welcome to suggest otherwise
Ety HF5, MC5, RE0, Eterna and Xears TD-III Blackwood v2. I will buy 2 if the total is around 120-130 dollars. 

Would be great if u can help me out.. thanks. Best

Well, the HF5 is my favorite on that list and definitely the one I would recommend for accurate reproduction but that really doesn't leave anything over for a 2nd pair (except maybe for a Philips SHE3580). If you don't listen at high volumes you could try to pair an Etymotic EK5 (which I only heard briefly but thought was better than the MC5) with a Fischer Consonance (over Eterna for durability) or the RE0 with an id America Spark, which has been getting blown out for ~$30.

Quote:
Joker, thanks a million for the entry level IEM giveaway lucky draw--I see I've won third
biggrin.gif
So I was looking through the phones you're giving away and noticed something--why are you giving away the UE 100 before you've even finished reviewing it?
eek.gif

If you still remember the graphs I posted

(FR graphs relative to my ideal: SHE3580-red, Etys-black)

Do you think there's anything in your draw that will suit my tastes for a neutral or mid-forward set with smooth / polite highs?  From your reviews I think the CX21P or if that's taken by my turn maybe the Aodia i100 or M2P?  The UE 100 is the one I don't know anything about at this point
etysmile.gif

I did finish with the UE100, I just haven't had occasion (or a good pairing) to post it. I also had to have it replaced (twice) so the pair I'm giving away is brand new. 

The CX21P isn't very polite in the highs but the i100 and M2P (and UE100 for that matter) aren't better than your Philips except maybe in terms of un-EQd balance. The M2P has treble that's too relaxed for me while the i100 is a little on the dry and boring side. Actually, the UE100 is a bit boring too - similar to the i100 in balance but less detailed and with a poorer soundstage.

Quote:
thanks for the tip. i have another one, sorry. how would you rate the ultimate ears triple fi 10? which ones would it be at par with?

I think the TF10 is about on-par with the other triple-drivers of its time period - SE530, W3, UM3X, etc

Quote:
According to their online customer support (which has not let me astray yet), they are getting in a new batch next month sometime.

Thanks, so future buyers will still have an option of going for 1st gen, at least for the time being. That's good.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #6,389 of 16,931
Hey joker, ******* amazing list you've created, it must be very satisfying. I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the bandwagon to ask your advice. So I've never owned any decent earphones and am looking for a solid pair ~$100. Over the past week I've put in at least 15 hours of research. At first I was leaning towards some Etys, but I kept stumbling upon posts saying the bass is weak. That made me realize I want a good bass presence.

I listen to a variety of music.. alternative/rock/dubstep/techno/electro/rap/oldies so I'm not looking for an earphone geared specifically towards a genre. After reading your review of the vPulses($79) they seem like my frontrunner at the moment. You described them as having a powerful, clean bass while still having good presentation across the spectrum. But, a few pages back you compare the Sparks to them saying they are quite similiar (although you score them lower in almost every category). I can get the Sparks on amazon for $32, and I'm having trouble justifying spending $50 more.

Also, how do you compare the SE215s to the sparks/vpulses? Feel free to add any other suggestions that come to mind.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #6,390 of 16,931
And here I am again. Need a few suggestions for another IEM for the gym/jogging outside. Not more than $70 if possible, and a sound signature like the JVC FXT90. If possible though something from MEElec because I'm about to order some tips from them. But I'm open to suggestions from other brands too.

Man that JVC really has me smitten. Really got to thank you again ljokerl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back