Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #6,361 of 16,931
great joker!! thanks for the mkii review
etysmile.gif
 (actually, they're cheaper on gd-audiobase...)

(and nice B2 pic addition)

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #6,362 of 16,931
Quote:
(2A25) Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII
Reviewed Mar 2012

Biggest complaint is the lack of a cable cinch, which would be a bigger help with the thicker & stiffer flat cable compared to the old DBA-02’s softer twisted cord
Isolation (4.5/5) – Very good now that the housings are designed for a deep fit and the accessory pack includes a larger variety of tips
Comfort (4.5/5) – The new housings are small and very lightweight, with more shallowly angled nozzles that work both for cable-up and cable-down wear. They are only a bit larger than the q-JAYS/UE700 but the stiff, thick cable makes it harder for the DBA-02 mkII to disappear when worn

Sound (9.2/10) – Upon its release, the original Fischer Audio DBA-02 was undoubtedly one of the best bang-for-the-buck earphones on the market for fans of balanced and accurate sound. It mustered a loyal following and still commands frequent recommendations more than two years later. While the new mkII revision, which is set to replace the mkI very soon, is in large part cosmetic, the two generations do differ ever so slightly in sound signature.

The mkII revision sounds a touch more dry compared to the old version, with a darker background and cleaner notes, but on the whole the two sets are again more similar to each other than they are to other TWFK-based earphones. The CK10, GR01, and UE700 are all smoother and more liquid-sounding but the DBA-02 mkII is more aggressively detailed compared to the UE700 and clearer than the GR01. It is the most analytical-sounding of the bunch, but the clarity and detail are well worth it.

The top end of the DBA-02 mkII is crisp and extended. The resolution of the TWFK driver is immense – even the VSonic GR07 fails to sound all that clean and effortless next to the DBA-02. Compared to the original DBA-02, the mkII seems to have been tuned for slightly more relaxed treble, but in reality it is only a hair less sibilant on a few tracks. Otherwise it sounds sparkly and energetic, as the original did – less ‘hot’ than the ATH-CK10 but still not quite as smooth as the VSonic GR01.

The presentation of the DBA-02 mkII is open and airy, as TWFK-based earphones tend to be, but perhaps a touch less so than the brighter mkI.

Value (9.5/10) – The second revision of Fischer Audio's renowned DBA-02 finally matches the premium sound of the earphone with a premium feel, making a series of gains over the old version as a result of a new housing design, more durable cable construction, and improved accessory pack. The updated earphones are sturdier, more comfortable, and more isolating – a more mature package more deserving of being a market mainstay. The sound, while slightly re-tuned, is still closer to the 1st-gen DBA-02 than the other TWFK-based earphones on the market. The only real complaint has to do with the microphonics – there is more cable noise with the flat, rubbery cable on the DBA-02 mkII unless the earphones are worn cord-up. Despite this, the DBA-02 is still about as good as it gets for the analytical listener; the competition may have gotten stiffer, but the bang/buck ratio of the DBA-02 has remained very strong.

Do you think that the slightly toned-down treble has in part compromised the 'spirit' of the DBA-02? I guess I'm biased as a Mk. I owner, but when I heard the Mk. II, it seemed like a purposeful compromise of the TWFK's abilities in order to satisfy a broader audience. The problem is, most people just couldn't handle the DBA-02 --- it handled them. I don't know how much the DBA-02 MK II improves things in that regard. I do like the new ergonomic changes a lot, with the exception of the missing neck cinch... but to me it's a shame to have compromised that incredibly aggressive sound especially when the new version might not win over many more fans.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #6,363 of 16,931
hi! i'm really new to the scene and i was wondering how you would rate the ultimate ears 700? i have an meelec a151 and brainwavz m4 on the way. would the ue 700 round up my phones? or should i just go straight for ue 700?
currently just on jvc fxc80. looking to upgrade.

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #6,367 of 16,931
Excellent review of the MKII, joker.. Being an MKI owner, you answered most all my questions about the MKII.  I think tomscy2000 most definitely has a good point about toning the treble down a bit as 'sacrificing' some of the charm that made the original DBA such a hit.  I personally never had a problem with treble sharpness/sibilance (unless the recording called for it) as long as a good, deep seal was achieved.

I've had my DBA reshelled & would very much like to audition the MKII to see how it stacks up cause the reshelled DBA's sound a little more refined to my ears than their universal incarnate (refinement that goes beyond just improved isolation).

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #6,368 of 16,931
wow that's a high rating for the DBa's!

Well I have the mk1s and they are amazing and defiently deserve the SQ score! However I don't think youd like them just because if their bass quantity as by looking at your list you like a lot of bass!

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #6,369 of 16,931

Quote:
Well I have the mk1s and they are amazing and defiently deserve the SQ score! However I don't think youd like them just because if their bass quantity as by looking at your list you like a lot of bass!

haha well - how do they compare to some in my list?

Bass quantity and generally speaking?

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #6,370 of 16,931
Quote:
haha well - how do they compare to some in my list? Bass quantity and generally speaking?

haha, you're going to think they have ZERO bass... I'm almost sure of it!

On a more accurate note, they probably have bass in around the same quantity as the Phonak PFEs... but more textured and better extended. The treble is just as prominent, and in some cases even more aggressive.

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #6,371 of 16,931

Quote:

On a more accurate note, they probably have bass in around the same quantity as the Phonak PFEs... but more textured and better extended. The treble is just as prominent, and in some cases even more aggressive.

haha ok - I'll ask no further than that
All i needed to know :wink:

EDIT:
haha oh dear - I shouldn't have even asked.
If only I had read the first 2 lines, instead of jumping in the review....
"Dual BA"

GOODNIGHT to that one lol!

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #6,372 of 16,931

When I had the B2 I was very pleasantly surprised at the bass extension, good impact and texture too, and really was pretty balanced in the presenetation. The way people talk about single and dual BA's I half expected that whole part of the frequency response to just not be there, like the floor dropping out from under that portion of the graph.

They just gave me a pretty painful vacuum seal and didn't quite have the soundstage presentation I was looking for. Otherwise, I can see why they are regarded as highly as they are (I'm extrapolating my B2 experience to the DBA-02's).

Great review Joker.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #6,373 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

haha ok - I'll ask no further than that
All i needed to know :wink:

EDIT:
haha oh dear - I shouldn't have even asked.
If only I had read the first 2 lines, instead of jumping in the review....
"Dual BA"

GOODNIGHT to that one lol!

but you the digizoid right? that'd work nice with those Dual BA 

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #6,374 of 16,931
haha well - how do they compare to some in my list?

Bass quantity and generally speaking?

I didnt reply as this seemed to be answered and I have no earphones that you've got on your list!

But yh dubbed this could pair nicely with the dbas adding a bit of quantity to the already greatly detailed and well extended bass they have. How Did the Phonaks sound with the ZO as they are also BA?

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #6,375 of 16,931

Quote:

Very true indeed.
Now I can literally take the most basslight IEM's ive heard then bump them up to sound like some TFTA's :D!

Quote:
I didnt reply as this seemed to be answered and I have no earphones that you've got on your list!
But yh dubbed this could pair nicely with the dbas adding a bit of quantity to the already greatly detailed and well extended bass they have. How Did the Phonaks sound with the ZO as they are also BA?

No problem man!
I sold the PFE's before I even bought the ZO2 :frowning2:

Would have been nice to try though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back