Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 9, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #6,226 of 16,931
Joker, after trying out a few budget IEM's, I think the ECCI pr200 suits me best, and I'm trying to find an upgrade from them under 100$, any suggestuion?
will the pr401 fit the bill?

Also, I read in your review that the PR200 has very little bass, you said that you "hear it more than you feel it", and the PL50 still has even fewer bass? I'm really shocked, I thought the PR200 was already a little neutral.... no dips and peaks.... 
tongue.gif

I found a seller that just won a HiSound Crystal, but isn't interested in it, so he wants to see it, for about 40-50$, will it be a worthy upgrade from a Visang R03? How well does it fare against the PR401?

Sorry for the flood of questions, I'm really new, so I'm still learning alot 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #6,228 of 16,931

Quote:

I see, thanks for the quick reply. One more question, regarding sound signature: I really liked my BrainWavz ProAlphas, and previously in this thread I asked about both the HiFiMan RE0s and Fischer Audio Eternas, particularly regarding bass as the other sonic qualities were understandable enough for me. I was told the former had noticeably less bass while the latter had noticeably more. How would you say the Silver Bullets compare to the ProAlphas in that regard?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #6,229 of 16,931
damn,i just bought sony hybrids to use on my gr07 ,thinking it would be better, somehow the stock tips seem better, as the hybrids kill soundstage, and maybe do some other things to mess up the sound.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #6,231 of 16,931
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4EvxkOMQXSk/learn/learningcenter/car/crossovers_faq.html

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #6,232 of 16,931

Quote:
Have you had a chance to listen to the GR01s yet? If so, what are your initial impressions, especially compared to the GR07s. Also, I forget, are they dynamic-armature hybrids, or a dual armature?

Dual armature, Knowles TWFK in fact. Listening to them right now - they are good, very good. Closer to DBA-02/CK10 in performance than UE700/Phiaton PS200/q-JAYS but with a less bright signature compared to most TWFK-based phones. I've only A:B'd them vs the UE700 and they were the clear winner for me, though admittedly they cost significantly more.

Quote:
I too am a bit surprised at the X10 score though mine would probably only be 3-4 tenths lower.  Maybe it's a good/better unit or they do better with non Klipsch tips.  Not pairing well w/ the Klipsch tips would defeat the purpose of Klipsch phones for me personally.  Mine only lasted a few weeks before I got rid of them.  I couldn't find one they did as well or better than anything else in my inventory except maybe the Meelec M6s I keep around for cannon fodder.  The TF10 at the deal price blows it away on many levels and I wasn't their biggest fan either though for the deal price they are hard to argue against.  Comparing X10s to MD's is not the most appropriate apart from bass presence I'd say.  One is involving, emotional and romantic, the other pretty ho hum boring IME.  Really two different animals and the MD's should definitely be considered niche phones for specific genres.
Anywho, good work joker, keep it up.  Just came by to drop my pennies.  
beerchug.gif

Thanks, the X10 actually fell at 8.7 before I added my 'subjective' listening factor and that was based partly on comparing them to the SBA-03. I'll need to do some more listening with the SBA-03 compared to other similar sets and see if maybe both of them deserve to drop by 0.1. 

Quote:
Are the compression flaws really noticeable on the ety hf5? Half of my files are 192kbps or lower.

But then I've heard from someone saying that the compression flaws mostly appear above 16khz, so its not quite noticeable on the hf5...

My answer to this question has not changed since I answered it for you via PM - I don't know of many things more revealing than an Ety at that price point and if you know what to look for, you'll definitely hear compression flaws with a lot of stuff. 

Quote:
Joker, after trying out a few budget IEM's, I think the ECCI pr200 suits me best, and I'm trying to find an upgrade from them under 100$, any suggestuion?
will the pr401 fit the bill?

Also, I read in your review that the PR200 has very little bass, you said that you "hear it more than you feel it", and the PL50 still has even fewer bass? I'm really shocked, I thought the PR200 was already a little neutral.... no dips and peaks.... 
tongue.gif

I found a seller that just won a HiSound Crystal, but isn't interested in it, so he wants to see it, for about 40-50$, will it be a worthy upgrade from a Visang R03? How well does it fare against the PR401?

Sorry for the flood of questions, I'm really new, so I'm still learning alot 
wink.gif

The PR401 is definitely an upgrade to the PR200 but the signature is more v-shaped. If you want something with balance closer to the PR200 near the PR401 price, a Brainwavz M3/ViSang R04 would be my pick. 

The Crystal for $50 is a good deal. It fares very well against the PR401 and M2 but it's a different sort of signature - compared to the PR401 there's not as much treble sparkle, less spacious presentation, and dryer note but it is also quicker, more detailed, and more accurate.

Quote:
some early impressions of the hisound GC and the new DBA-02 mk2 ?

None for the GC - haven't listened to it. The DBA-02 MK2 sounds a lot like the old one but is better-built, smaller, and more comfortable.

Quote:
I see, thanks for the quick reply. One more question, regarding sound signature: I really liked my BrainWavz ProAlphas, and previously in this thread I asked about both the HiFiMan RE0s and Fischer Audio Eternas, particularly regarding bass as the other sonic qualities were understandable enough for me. I was told the former had noticeably less bass while the latter had noticeably more. How would you say the Silver Bullets compare to the ProAlphas in that regard?

SB will have more bass than a ProAlpha but less than an Eterna.

Quote:
We're talking about the x10i with the remote.  That was the explanation I got when I wasn't charged the removeable cables.

Still don't see how a crossover factors into a single-driver system. If you asked to keep the mic/remote unit then I can see why you'd have to keep the stock cable but crossovers shouldn't have anything to do with that.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #6,233 of 16,931
Its funny how subjective an IEM's sound is from person to person.  Take the Creative Aurvana IE3 and GR07, I have both and read your review and some of the comments you've answered that people have asked about them and I hear them different than you.  For me the Aurvana 3 has better clarity than the GR07 and the same amount of separation.  I just got finished listening to the GR07 for about an hour to get my head use to the sound then immediately put the Creatives on and they were cleaner and more revealing to me than the Vsonics.  Now the GR07 has better bass an soundstage but I think the Aurvana has better 3D imaging.  To each their own but on most of the reviews you've done on IEM's I have I tend to hear them like you do just not the Creative's for some reason.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #6,235 of 16,931
Someone said to trim down the stretchy part of the tip nozzle to prevent it from "hour glass-ing" over the IEM filter opening (at least for larger diameter IEMs). Would this work?

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6,236 of 16,931
Im surprised to see the Sony XBA-4 got a 9.  Without knowing anything else about it I thought it would have scored higher..

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #6,237 of 16,931

Quote:
The DBA-02 MK2 sounds a lot like the old one but is better-built, smaller, and more comfortable.

Hah, I had my suspicions.  Want me to send you my B2 for confirmation or do you have DBA's around still?

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #6,238 of 16,931
That is strange. Perhaps the tips are of the wrong size?
damn,i just bought sony hybrids to use on my gr07 ,thinking it would be better, somehow the stock tips seem better, as the hybrids kill soundstage, and maybe do some other things to mess up the sound.

I hear them the same way. They constrained the soundstage, tempered the highs, and created a muddier sound overall, tad bit more bass too. Pretty much lost the magic for me. Really comfortable though.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #6,239 of 16,931

Quote:
Hah, I had my suspicions.  Want me to send you my B2 for confirmation or do you have DBA's around still?

Wouldn't say no to that. I never owned a pair of the original DBAs - I think the ones I reviewed were rawrster's. Only heard a pre-production B2, too.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #6,240 of 16,931

Quote:
Wouldn't say no to that. I never owned a pair of the original DBAs - I think the ones I reviewed were rawrster's. Only heard a pre-production B2, too.

I'll send them over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back