Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Silver Bullets kaput, i want something similar!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silver Bullets kaput, i want something similar!

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

Hello peeps!   Like my title said, what should i go for now? NE-700? Or what?


 

 

post #2 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban View Post

Hello peeps!   Like my title said, what should i go for now? NE-700? Or what?


 

 


How's the Sunrise Sw-Xcape ver 2?

 

post #3 of 29

Gotta hate the cable on the first version : (. I will recommend the ECCI PR401 and HJE900s if you could somehow find them. You could also just get the newer revision with improved cabling. 

post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Gotta hate the cable on the first version : (. I will recommend the ECCI PR401 and HJE900s if you could somehow find them. You could also just get the newer revision with improved cabling. 



There IS a 2nd version??

post #5 of 29

ye but it is slightly different from ver.1

post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

ye but it is slightly different from ver.1



Well in what sense is it different?

Sound?

How??

post #7 of 29

try something of entry-lewel dymamic Brainwavz, maybe Brainwavz M2 

post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by as1is View Post

try something of entry-lewel dymamic Brainwavz, maybe Brainwavz M2 



How does it compare to the Silver Bullets?
Been disappointed lately by too many buys that are not what i want.

post #9 of 29

M2 and M3 have much better cable, stock tips and comfort overall, the sound signature is quite similar with the Bullets' - mids are enough detailed, highs are recessed a little, the sound is good separated and clear, but the Brains have more boomy bass, I can say, they provide "warmer" sound.

post #10 of 29
Once again pr401s sound like a good idea, brainwavz m2/3 won't be similar enough. Differences between the first and second SBs haven't been established concretely here.
post #11 of 29

I've had the SB v.1 & currently own the SB v.2.. it has a (slightly) better cable but it's by no means a huge improvement.  Personally, I've never had any problems w/ either cable (the cable on v.1 broke due to my own incompetence).

 

I'd buy the SB again in a heartbeat if it broke on me.. it's got that unique, addictive sound I can't find in a lot of other phones in the same range and it does that sound very very well.. balanced, airy, non-fatiguing, surprising detail and clarity, good sparkle.. that's a great package for ~US$70.  Plus it responds VERY well to amping.  If I could recommend one FA dynamic driver IEM to buy.. the SB would be it.

 

If you want something different from the SB but still want balance, detail, clarity, and soundstage in the same price range.. the PR401 would be my recommendation.  It's a fantastic IEM & one of the best balanced dynamics under $150, IMO.  It's got a great soundstage but not as spacious as the SB (when compared to the SB's ss, nothing under $150 does though).  It's not as warm/smooth as the SB (which I like, as a change of pace), the treble has more sparkle, and the bass is well textured (but not as thick as it is on the SB).  The mids aren't as forward as the SB's mids too.  As joker said, the logical upgrade from the PR401 would be the FX700 so that should give you an idea on what kind of sound to expect out of the excellent ECCI phone.

 

What are you looking for in an IEM (aside from a better cable) that the SB doesn't offer?


Edited by FlySweep - 4/20/11 at 12:43pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by as1is View Post

M2 and M3 have much better cable, stock tips and comfort overall, the sound signature is quite similar with the Bullets' - mids are enough detailed, highs are recessed a little, the sound is good separated and clear, but the Brains have more boomy bass, I can say, they provide "warmer" sound.

M2 are warmer (too much for me), but the biggest difference is the soundstage width, you don't feel the sound airy or spacious as it is with SB.
 

 

post #13 of 29


Thanks for the info, Fly. Is the new cable as stiff as the old one? The old cable's combination of thinness and stiffness gives it a a really poor longevity. I take it there are no sonic differences between SB1 and 2 sonic wise?

Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

I've had the SB v.1 & currently own the SB v.2.. it has a (slightly) better cable but it's by no means a huge improvement.  Personally, I've never had any problems w/ either cable (the cable on v.1 broke due to my own incompetence).

 

I'd buy the SB again in a heartbeat if it broke on me.. it's got that unique, addictive sound I can't find in a lot of other phones in the same range and it does that sound very very well.. balanced, airy, non-fatiguing, surprising detail and clarity, good sparkle.. that's a great package for ~US$70.  Plus it responds VERY well to amping.  If I could recommend one FA dynamic driver IEM to buy.. the SB would be it.

 

If you want something different from the SB but still want balance, detail, clarity, and soundstage in the same price range.. the PR401 would be my recommendation.  It's a fantastic IEM & one of the best balanced dynamics under $150, IMO.  It's got a great soundstage but not as spacious as the SB (when compared to the SB's ss, nothing under $150 does though).  It's not as warm/smooth as the SB (which I like, as a change of pace), the treble has more sparkle, and the bass is well textured (but not as thick as it is on the SB).  The mids aren't as forward as the SB's mids too.  As joker said, the logical upgrade from the PR401 would be the FX700 so that should give you an idea on what kind of sound to expect out of the excellent ECCI phone.

 

What are you looking for in an IEM (aside from a better cable) that the SB doesn't offer?



 

post #14 of 29
Originally Posted by Inks View Post


Thanks for the info, Fly. Is the new cable as stiff as the old one? The old cable's combination of thinness and stiffness gives it a a really poor longevity. I take it there are no sonic differences between SB1 and 2 sonic wise?


The v.2 cable is noticeably less stiffer than v.1.. it's also slightly thicker, and noticeably smoother (less rubbery = less likely to get caught on clothing).  If the stiffness & texture of the cord bothered you most on v.1, the v.2 is clearly worth the upgrade. I'm very glad I did.  The upgrade isn't night & day, but it's improvement enough to make using it more manageable, nonetheless.

 

What bothered me most was the stiffness & rubbery texture of the cord on the v.1.. the fact it broke and I got it exchanged for v.2 was a blessing in disguise, really and I'm quite happy with v.2.  v2's cord is flexible enough to where I can wear it over-the-ear (again, YMMV).

 

I observed no sonic differences between v.1 & v.2. From what I've read from FA, there should be any cause all they did was improve the cord (not sure if they upgraded the type of wire but they did not as far as I can tell).


Edited by FlySweep - 4/20/11 at 3:06pm
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

I've had the SB v.1 & currently own the SB v.2.. it has a (slightly) better cable but it's by no means a huge improvement.  Personally, I've never had any problems w/ either cable (the cable on v.1 broke due to my own incompetence).

 

I'd buy the SB again in a heartbeat if it broke on me.. it's got that unique, addictive sound I can't find in a lot of other phones in the same range and it does that sound very very well.. balanced, airy, non-fatiguing, surprising detail and clarity, good sparkle.. that's a great package for ~US$70.  Plus it responds VERY well to amping.  If I could recommend one FA dynamic driver IEM to buy.. the SB would be it.

 

If you want something different from the SB but still want balance, detail, clarity, and soundstage in the same price range.. the PR401 would be my recommendation.  It's a fantastic IEM & one of the best balanced dynamics under $150, IMO.  It's got a great soundstage but not as spacious as the SB (when compared to the SB's ss, nothing under $150 does though).  It's not as warm/smooth as the SB (which I like, as a change of pace), the treble has more sparkle, and the bass is well textured (but not as thick as it is on the SB).  The mids aren't as forward as the SB's mids too.  As joker said, the logical upgrade from the PR401 would be the FX700 so that should give you an idea on what kind of sound to expect out of the excellent ECCI phone.

 

What are you looking for in an IEM (aside from a better cable) that the SB doesn't offer?


Ooooooooo guys the pr401 sounds real good.
How does it compare to SB?

And what about in comparison to xscape-or-something ver 2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Silver Bullets kaput, i want something similar!