Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 31, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,996 of 16,931
Hey Joker, just curious.

How would you compare the energy levels of the treble regions of the Klipsch Custom 3 and Earsonics SM3.

Gonna take a wild swing at it, but I'm guessing that the SM3 is the warmer and intimate of the 2?

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #1,998 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey Joker, just curious.

How would you compare the energy levels of the treble regions of the Klipsch Custom 3 and Earsonics SM3.

Gonna take a wild swing at it, but I'm guessing that the SM3 is the warmer and intimate of the 2?

Yes, the SM3 is warmer and more laid-back in the treble though the KC3 is still on the warm side of neutral for me. For what it's worth, I actually like high levels of treble energy on my IEMs but neither the KC3 nor SM3 left me significantly wanting.

Quote:
joker have you tried xcape v2? was it an improvement over v1?

Not yet but I should have one on the way pretty soon. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #1,999 of 16,931
Hmm, I'm gonna guess that the SM3 is gonna sound something along the lines of a Brainwavz M1 (to my ears), but very very enhanced version it would seem. Like the M1s a lot though, good earphones for the price =)

Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks or something =3

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #2,000 of 16,931
Recently bought JVC HA-FXC50 as a temporary replacement for my lost UE-10, while waiting for the new ACS T1 I've ordered.

Was wondering about Comply tips, to get a better seal, but I don't know which models are compatible. Also, are they worth it?

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2,001 of 16,931
uote:
Recently bought JVC HA-FXC50 as a temporary replacement for my lost UE-10, while waiting for the new ACS T1 I've ordered.

Was wondering about Comply tips, to get a better seal, but I don't know which models are compatible. Also, are they worth it?

*400 series complys are compatible though they need to be forced on. Don't know about *500 series. If the tips are going to cost you more than the earphones I'd say it's not worth it unless you really can't get a seal as-is.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2,002 of 16,931
hi joker i have the pl30 and w3 but my ears are telling me that the pl30 has a more realistic timbre than the w3 in some recordings. am i crazy or is this due to the fact that it is dynamics vs ba? some ppl suggested the hje900, ts02 and fx700 to be really good in timbre. to give me a rough idea, how would you compare the timbre between the hje900, ts02, fx700, re0, xcapes, re252, w3, w2 and pl30? thanks in advance!

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,003 of 16,931
Good thing I forgot most of your A151 review from Meelec. I got a pair in the mail today. The cable is super long like the DBA-02 and the rest of the cable is basically the same but color and such is different. I guess whoever makes the cable for the DBA-02 does the same for the A151. The chin slider hasn't fallen all the way down so I guess that's an improvement over the DBA-02 cable. I've using the balanced M9 tips and they sound pretty decent so far. I'm not sure of the MSRP but should be ~70 or so and not too bad so far.

I guess the M2 should probably compare with the A151 in terms of technical ability? I don't have any BA driver phones that would be a fair comparison. Customs and my CK10 would be an unfair fight.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2,004 of 16,931
Someone get this guy the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro!

Alas, I've gone through a few of those as though they sound great, their build barely lasted beyond a year.  Even with RMA'd warranties, at around $200 a pop, they're an expensive habit.

Add to that they're harder to find since UE no longer makes them.

So, I must remain contented with the RE-ZEROs I just got.  Perhaps they'll sound better after burn in, but I can't imagine them besting the dual armature drivers of the super.fi 5 Pro. :/

Oh, well.  Maybe something akin to it will be produced, in the future.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,006 of 16,931
Quote:
hi joker i have the pl30 and w3 but my ears are telling me that the pl30 has a more realistic timbre than the w3 in some recordings. am i crazy or is this due to the fact that it is dynamics vs ba? some ppl suggested the hje900, ts02 and fx700 to be really good in timbre. to give me a rough idea, how would you compare the timbre between the hje900, ts02, fx700, re0, xcapes, re252, w3, w2 and pl30? thanks in advance!

I can believe that. I don't think it's entirely due to the fact that the PL30 is dynamic and the W3 is armature - more likely it's due to the fact that the PL30 has that pleasant, slightly-warm tone and the W3 is just the W3. I think the HJE900 and FX700 would have the best timbre I've heard out of in-ears but really the e-Q7 isn't that far off and neither is the SM3. W2, RE252, and RE0/Xcapes all do a little better than the W3 in my book. The TS02 (and Rain) have their moments also but I wouldn't quite rank it up there with the HJE900 and FX700. 

Quote:
Good thing I forgot most of your A151 review from Meelec. I got a pair in the mail today. The cable is super long like the DBA-02 and the rest of the cable is basically the same but color and such is different. I guess whoever makes the cable for the DBA-02 does the same for the A151. The chin slider hasn't fallen all the way down so I guess that's an improvement over the DBA-02 cable. I've using the balanced M9 tips and they sound pretty decent so far. I'm not sure of the MSRP but should be ~70 or so and not too bad so far.

I guess the M2 should probably compare with the A151 in terms of technical ability? I don't have any BA driver phones that would be a fair comparison. Customs and my CK10 would be an unfair fight.

I quite like hybrids on the A151 - give them a shot if you've got em. I think they're $75 which is fine considering the general user-friendliness of that form factor. And yeah, the M2 will do certain things better right off the bat but if you give the A151 some time they actually do start to sound pretty accurate.

Quote:
Someone get this guy the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro!

I have a SuperFi 5 Pro and it's also on the to-do list on the front page of this thread (below the table). Personally, I don't see how it can be worth buying now that the TF10 can be had for <$180.

Quote:
Hey Joker, is it possible that you could do a review on the Shure 535's? thanks

Not at this time - that's more than I want to spend on a universal, I have no personal interest in them whatsoever, and the review queue is way over capacity.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2,007 of 16,931
I have a review suggestion:

The Phonak Audeo 021/022.

It's a great deal considering it's exactly the same as the 122 and 121, but 50 to 60 dollars less, with the only differences being the filter being used and some accessories  The 99 dollar price point also brings them down to the more competitive pricing tier.

I'll know how they sound by Saturday when I get them in the mail and post my impressions of them here.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #2,008 of 16,931
Definitely having an awkward time getting my RE-ZERO's positioned correctly for the best sound.

Stock Bi-flanges can give me great sound and great isolation but reaching that nirvana is tricky and painful too. The right ear is happy with the smaller bi-flange but the left ear finds the small one to be too small and the large one to be too large.

Comply tips are so comfortable I can barely feel them there but the isolation feels terrible and they take so much away from the highs they don't feel worth it.

Trying the standard tips now. Perhaps I'm not giving myself enough time to adjust to them seeing as I've only had my earphones since Saturday.

One thing that miffs me slightly about these earphones is that there is no unique identifier to make these as 1 of the 1,000 made. A slight touch missed perhaps?

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #2,009 of 16,931
Roker - really keen on your impressions of the PFE021/022.  Looking forward to reading them. 

Quote:
I have a review suggestion:

The Phonak Audeo 021/022.

It's a great deal considering it's exactly the same as the 122 and 121, but 50 to 60 dollars less, with the only differences being the filter being used and some accessories  The 99 dollar price point also brings them down to the more competitive pricing tier.

I'll know how they sound by Saturday when I get them in the mail and post my impressions of them here.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2,010 of 16,931

Quote:

I quite like hybrids on the A151 - give them a shot if you've got em. I think they're $75 which is fine considering the general user-friendliness of that form factor. And yeah, the M2 will do certain things better right off the bat but if you give the A151 some time they actually do start to sound pretty accurate.

I'll have to look into the hybrids on them. I still have all my tips still and using the balanced M9 tips on them right now and sound pretty decent. It didn't take that long to sound more accurate than the M2 since I haven't used the M2 in a few weeks and that they are boosted in the bass. The A151 sound like a poor man's W2 from my short listening yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back