Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 3, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,026 of 16,931
Thanks for the review on the CC51 and SP51. I thought I was going to regret on purchasing the SP51, but I guess I didn't. The SP51 may have boomy bass, but I can tolerate it. I was gonna go for the CC51, but since I'm a basshead, I wasn't so sure. Many thanks!

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #2,027 of 16,931
Hey, you never know with the tons of coupons and promotions that Meelec tends to run. Their great bang/buck products should knock some sense into the overpricing that tends to be done by the larger companies.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,028 of 16,931
Those CCs look quite interesting. A typical well liked dynamic driver sound signature with good dynamics and timbre all at a budget price...This makes for a good secondary to a top tier BA IEM. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,029 of 16,931
I hear driver flex with the playaz N3's.  Not much of a concern for myself as the crackling noise only appears when I maneuver of the earphone.  Its good to know it has a name :)

Quote:

Quote:
If the CC51 dropped down to the $50 range, I can see them giving Brainwavz a huge headache.

I think that would be downright unreasonable as the CC51 already sounds about as good as Brainwavz' flagship and also considering that Nakamichi's ceramic-shelled IEM runs closer to $200.

Quote:
Hi, what is mid driver flux?

Lol i think he meant  'driver flex'. It's the flexing of the membrane of the dynamic transducer under pressure, namely when you are inserting the earphones. It presents as a 'crinkling' sound and can be annoying for some people. I don't usually mind it unless it's fairly severe and with the CC51 it only happens in one ear for me anyway.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #2,030 of 16,931
Strange, missed a bunch of notifications from this thread

Quote:
Thanks for the review on the CC51 and SP51. I thought I was going to regret on purchasing the SP51, but I guess I didn't. The SP51 may have boomy bass, but I can tolerate it. I was gonna go for the CC51, but since I'm a basshead, I wasn't so sure. Many thanks!

Right, the CC51 really isn't one for the basshead. The SP51 and the entire M-line (except maybe the M16) offer a whole lot more impact, with the SP51 making the fewest sacrifices elsewhere.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2,031 of 16,931
I wonder if the SP51's tuning ports fit the VBs and vice-versa just for fun and who knows maybe good results...

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,033 of 16,931

Quote:
I wonder if the SP51's tuning ports fit the VBs and vice-versa just for fun and who knows maybe good results...

I don't see why not. Sadly, I don't have a VB to figure out what that would sound like.

Quote:
Hi ljokerl,

Excellent compilation am finding it really helpful to identify my next set, am curious though as to where you would place Klipsch Image X10's as these are my current pair.

Many Thanks

Sorry, never heard the X10 so not a clue.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2,035 of 16,931
How do you think the A151 and CC51 from Meelec fits in their lineup? I have the A151 and wondering what the CC51 is like since it does sound like it is more balanced than a bassy earphone and the A151 is not a bassy one either. I believe their prices are similar so wondering even though one is dynamic and the other is BA.

The A151 kinda reminds me of the W2 from memory although the cable does look like a Westone even though it is not braided.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2,036 of 16,931
Hi here as well.

@Joker: did you talk with Thomas, about him sending you an XR120 Pro II? The word is they are pretty analytical and forward sounding, with a bit of a treble spike. Should be intresting.

About the TD: could you tell me more about the ranking? From your reviews it sounds like they should be behind the Brainwavz M1/2 in  everything, except low end clarity and extension.

Any thoughts on the K330? Or you don't even have them yet?

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,037 of 16,931
I was just wondering: I've been looking at the FR graph of the phiaton ps200 on headroom, and it looks to me like the bass isn't shy, but pretty darn flat.  However, it also seems to me that the headroom folks also think the bass is also shy.  Am I just reading the graph wrong?

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #2,038 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker,

Any plans for a Sunrise Xcape v2 review ?

Yes, though it could take a while as I'm not sure they've even shipped yet.

Quote:
How do you think the A151 and CC51 from Meelec fits in their lineup? I have the A151 and wondering what the CC51 is like since it does sound like it is more balanced than a bassy earphone and the A151 is not a bassy one either. I believe their prices are similar so wondering even though one is dynamic and the other is BA.

The A151 kinda reminds me of the W2 from memory although the cable does look like a Westone even though it is not braided.

The difference is mostly in the fact that one is dynamic and one is armature-based. The CC51 does have more bass (especially low bass) than the A151 but it's not a bass monster by any means (a bit below M2 level in quantity to my ears). It does, however, sound smoother and thicker and warmer, all of which you'd sort of expect from a dynamic of that caliber, and has a more natural timbre.

Quote:
Hi here as well.

@Joker: did you talk with Thomas, about him sending you an XR120 Pro II? The word is they are pretty analytical and forward sounding, with a bit of a treble spike. Should be intresting.

About the TD: could you tell me more about the ranking? From your reviews it sounds like they should be behind the Brainwavz M1/2 in  everything, except low end clarity and extension.

Any thoughts on the K330? Or you don't even have them yet?

There are way too many Xears models for me to keep them all straight. I did get a TD-III a couple of days ago and so far it's sounding much like the TD100 but I like the build better.

The TD100 and M1/M2 all share one similar characteristic - they sound better as a whole than the individual aspects of their signatures indicate. But I do think the TD100 has the upper hand in extension (on either end) and balance, as well as soundstage depth. Perhaps I will re-evaluate my scoring after the TD-III is done burning in but I still hear a reasonably balanced earphone with plenty of bass weight and good space.

I do have the K330 - I don't usually put earphones on the to-do list unless they are in my possession. I think they sound okay - not great but definitely not terrible. Overall signature is balanced and clear. The cable is the worst thing about them as it reminds me of the CX300 cord - thin and plasticky. It's an old design and I really haven't seen cables this bad on more recent releases. $60 (what they currently cost here) is a bit too much with things like the M1 and iM-590 out there but if they ever drop into the $30 range I can see myself recommending them.

Quote:
I was just wondering: I've been looking at the FR graph of the phiaton ps200 on headroom, and it looks to me like the bass isn't shy, but pretty darn flat.  However, it also seems to me that the headroom folks also think the bass is also shy.  Am I just reading the graph wrong?

Nope, I'll easily believe that the PS200 is flat in terms output level, there's just more to the perception of bass quantity than that. Otherwise you could EQ any earphone to sound like almost any other earphone with a good 40-band EQ. The PS200 sounds bass-light because it's lean on body and loses all note very quickly below a certain point. I am sure there is still air being moved but it's not something that can be called 'bass' in the head-fi sense. With the PS200 it's difficult to explain but listening to them side-by-side with the CK10 it was pretty obvious that one can be heard all the way down and the other just gives up. 

I think with the recent price drops on the PS200 its falling back down into the realm of 'good deal' though as the DBA-02 is still fairly scarce and the CK90Pro/CK10 cost way over $200 now.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2,039 of 16,931
Quote:
There are way too many Xears models for me to keep them all straight. I did get a TD-III a couple of days ago and so far it's sounding much like the TD100 but I like the build better.

The TD100 and M1/M2 all share one similar characteristic - they sound better as a whole than the individual aspects of their signatures indicate. But I do think the TD100 has the upper hand in extension (on either end) and balance, as well as soundstage depth. Perhaps I will re-evaluate my scoring after the TD-III is done burning in but I still hear a reasonably balanced earphone with plenty of bass weight and good space.

I do have the K330 - I don't usually put earphones on the to-do list unless they are in my possession. I think they sound okay - not great but definitely not terrible. Overall signature is balanced and clear. The cable is the worst thing about them as it reminds me of the CX300 cord - thin and plasticky. It's an old design and I really haven't seen cables this bad on more recent releases. $60 (what they currently cost here) is a bit too much with things like the M1 and iM-590 out there but if they ever drop into the $30 range I can see myself recommending them.

I just suggested the XR because it's getting really good feedback, and Thomas even promised to one of our members, that he would send you a pair. :) The others are not that intresting imho. (many prefer them to the TD, mainly because of the lower bass levels)

Makes me wonder what was the deal with my K330s. I read people complain about lack of bass or calling them bright. I think mine sounded like the definition of "bass bleed". Other than that it was fine I guess, but defenetly wasn't balanced when sealed properly

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,040 of 16,931
Regarding instrument separation on DBA-02: I think it's every bit as good as on UM3X, if not better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back